Best Sci Fi books

1. Dune series (the freaking greatest!)
  2. the Chung K’uo series ( the second freaking greatest!)
  3. The naked good trilogy/hexology (depending on how you read it)
  4. Stranger in a Strange Land
  5. The First Gene Wolfe Trilogy EDIT - It’s A tetrology
  6. Foundation is cool

Any others?

1. Took to the Foundation series in a big way, but I guess only the first book was really great, and maybe :“Second Foundation”.
  2. Select shortstories - “Gold”, “Alexander the God”, “The Instability” and “The Last Question” also by Asimov
  3. Sphere by Crichton was awesome as well, of course Jurassic Park
  4. A novel called “Day of the Cheetah” by Dale Brown - it was military future speculation kinda sci fi - but I think it will fit in the genre…and it was good…

Havent ventured into A C Clarke, how is his stuff?

1- Foundation Series in general, Asmiov
2- Enders Game, Scott Card
3- Johnny and The Bomb, forgot the author
4- Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury
5- 1984, Orwell
6- The Time Machine, Wells
7- Around the World in Eighty Days, Verne

The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse.

Well the most fun might be the Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy “trilogy” by Douglas Adams.

Douglas Adams is great…similarly amusing is Terry Pratchett

Oh yeah - Terry Pratchett is the Man!

Frank Herbert is great. Do you know that that he was only 46 when he died of cancer? Just imagine what else he might have written.

Orson Scott Card is excellent. If you enjoyed Ender’s Game I would highly recommend Ender’s Shadow. Its the first parallel novel I have ever read.

Oh, c’mon! Kurt Vonnegut! Anyone who enjoys Douglas Adams should read The Sirens of Titan, it’s where Adams (whom I adore, don’t get me wrong) ‘borrowed’ pretty much his entire writing style from. Vonnegut rules!

Definitely Asimov, I love his essays as well as his fiction.

How about C S Lewis’s Perelandra books? A bit preachy and pseudo-religious maybe, but solid.

And John Wyndham is superb.

a pretty cool young author is China Mieville who has been winning a ton of awards since he came on the scene…he writes in a very gritty style and his works are filled with anti-heroes and generally slimy sorts of folk. he throws in some nice moral ambiguity and does it all with very rich and sometimes unnerving language

tkingdoll,

I agree that Kurt Vonnegut is an amazing American author. I think most of his works fall a bit outside of Sci-Fi, although they are somewhat fantasy.

But I’ll admit that I have never read, The Sirens of Titan. I will have to remedy that!

xanderman,

Sirens is pure sci-fi, and very funny. If you like Douglas Adams you will be amazed at the similarities, especially considering Sirens was written in 1957.

Also worth checking out is his novel Galapagos, it puts an interesting spin on evolution. The premise is this:

"The human survivors of the “nature cruise of the century”, are quietly evolving into sleek, furry creatures with flippers and small brains. All other forms of humankind have ceased to exist, made redundant by their prized big brains. "

I guess that counts as science fiction!

tkingdoll,

Thank you very much. I will also add Galapagos to my reading list. It has been a long while since I visted with Kurt.

No one has mentioned “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley?
I rather enjoyed that satirical romp.

My Father just got me the Complete Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, and I’m about to delve into that.

Anyone reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King?! I’m not a huge King fan, but this series has got me by the yarbels! Speaking of yarbels, what about A Clockwork Orange?

I would also like to recommend “Just a Couple of Days” by Tony Vigorito. A page-turning adventure based around a virus manufactured to do away with human symbolic capacity/reasoning.

I have been reading the Dark Tower series since way back. Enduring that wonderful gap between The Wastelands and Wizard in Glass. ARG!

Glad to know that the end is written, just unpublished. Thank the White! I say thank-ya big-big!

I have yet to start Wizard In Glass. My Father tells me that it moves a little slower than the others. I still can’t wait! :stuck_out_tongue:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (Borderline Sci-Fi)
Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Half way through ‘The Diamond Age’ again Neal Stephenson and its a good read.

mmmm Tasty Snow Crash, the origin Of my memetics/cybernetics/systems theory fascination

I mourn the death of Frank Herbert. I have read every Dune book in existance (which is actually quite a few). I am still waiting for the sequel to chapterhouse, the one which Frank Herbert died after making. Brian Herbert has been working with Kevin J Anderson to produce Dune prequels that I thought were also excellent. They have been talking about finishing the Dune series where Brian’s dad left off for some time now, but they have not done it yet. I think they are post poning that one because if they don’t do it well enough, a lot of fans will be upset.

Good book. It mostly a story of Roland. It is him re-telling his past. It can be slow, but the climax of his story more than makes up for it. It really helps explain how Roland came to be who he is. Plus, the contest with Blaine is GREAT!

Oh, Blaine the pain! What an awesome character! My interests are peaked! (as you can tell by the exclamation)