Bhuddism

do Bhuddists lack motivation? or do they need motivation? or do they lack a need for motivation?

as close as i could get to a conception of bhuddism is that a bhuddist is not ruled by desire. they dont want anything and accept life as it comes? are they the more or less the perfection of a fatalist? im lacking in my understanding of what exactly “being” a bhuddist constitutes. they preach right conduct and right speech and control of desires and more or less being at peace with themselves and thier environment.

how far off am i?

I’m not sure if I understand the question.
I think that it would take a great amount of motivation to remove all desire from ones life, although that could seem like an oxymoron.

Motivation does not neccisarily equate to desire.
Because you could have motivation behind dropping all of your desire.

Buddhists are very motivated people in general.

Buddhism speaks of following his path to enlightenment. But he does not mean for one to entirely relinquish all that is in one’s life. They can be successful business men, great parents etc. The Right Speech and Right Action can often mean doing what is best for those around you when the need dictates it.

Buddhists are indeed motivated. The motivation is enlightenment which is no small task. In order to reach enlightenment there are precepts. One of them is to observe their own desire. It’s not so much a matter of denying oneself as much as it is a matter of observing what is required to attain enlightenment. If the desire leads one away from the path of enlightenment, then the buddhist will eliminate the desire.

A

The Buddhist also lives a sort of paradoxical existence as to desire enlightenment is again to give in to desire. A Buddhist is meant to want nothing and accept everything with a detach attitude. But like all religions there are a number of different schools and disciplines. Plus there is also the fact the just about all Buddhist monks are not enlightened but are on that path to enlightenment therefore still stuff from many of the normal vices. So can a Buddhist desire, yes but most of the time they shouldn’t. Like the way every-now-and-then you might hear a Christian say ‘Jesus Christ’ not in praise but as blasphemy. These imperfections may stop enlightenment but can help in spreading of the Buddhist ideals as they desire to show others their ‘true’ path to enlightenment that they themselves haven’t yet obtained.

I presume you are talking of enlightened individuals. There is no use trying to figure out whether or not such an individual has desires or not, since that is such a small concern compared to the bliss they would be feeling from the enlightenment. Once you feel it, all other concerns are so small that they seem silly. This is why they seem to be desireless or unmotivated for us confused folks.

It’s not motivation they lack, it’s attachment to certian types of desire or expectations.

The motivation to help others in general is a healthy, reasonable expectation. However, the desire to be loved by the people you help, or the attachment to the idea that you are the greatest humanitarian and can do no wrong are are flaws in motivation. Sure, they are motivations, but they’re motivations to be attached to ideals that don’t to anyone good.

Clear as mud?

I would think a Buddhist, just like anyone else, is motivated by suffering and discontent. There’s plenty of that to go around, and it’s pretty much inescapable, so they say. Life is suffering…

This is a common misconception I think. Rather, it’s my understanding anyway, that a Buddhist endeavors to not attach to their desires and accept everything with a fully engaged attitude.

If we’re on the subject of misconceptions, I might as well point out my own interpretation…

You cannot desire not to desire. Because that in itself is a form of desiring. It’s extremely hard to articulate, it’s more of a feeling, or a knowing, that you come to realize. Perhaps this might help.

The bad man busies himself with avoiding misfortunes,
heaven therefore confounds him for this desire.

The just man has no mind to seek happiness,
because of this mindlessness,
heaven opens its utmost heart.

I’m not saying I have completely “figured it all out”. But I think letting go has a lot to do with it. Something like… finding the truth involves getting rid of it.

It’s so easy to misinterpret, because all these things seem so paradoxical, but that too, in turn, can disappear.

Interesting. What do you mean by simply “letting go”? Do you mean entering a state of no desire? That is very difficult to do and requires much contemplation on your being. Maybe there is an easier way, but I do not know how to do such a thing. Ah, I recall one instance in my meditations that this might be relevant to.

I was meditating on something (it is irrelevant on what) and this urge to just “let go” came upon me. So, I just let my body and mind do whatever it wanted to do, without trying to control anything. I entered a state of bliss after a feeling that I was dead. However, this kind of meditation revealed nothing to me, since there is no truth in a simple state of bliss. I found out that “letting go” is impossible unless you deeply contemplate on your being.

What is this “letting go”?

True ‘detached’ might be the wrong word, how about ‘disinterest’? Lets say a Buddhist is given a choice to make, like we all have to do on a daily basis. The Buddhist thinks it through and decides on option A, but unknown the only possible outcome was B. How should the Buddhist react? The idea is that what happens happens, if it makes you happy your happy, if it makes you sad your sad. You shouldn’t be so attached to yourself to second guess your emotions or the outcome or desire the outcome to be changed, just accept it and continue living. I would call that a form of detachment, but a detachment from self and self held opinions.