BUSH?!?

Hello everyone,

I know with some of my past posts you will be expecting the Bessy/Bush thread to be about getting laid, but I have a serious question. I don’t get it. I say this with the utmost respect to die hard Republicans, but I simply don’t get it. I live in a deeply red state and we are one of the first ones to be clearly “wrapped up” early on in any election. As an Independent, I keep my mouth shut, but I really want to understand what Republicans see in Bush. I am so tired of hearing, “yeah, he may be lame, but it’s the people around him that count.” I don’t get that. Isn’t it obvious that he has annihilated the importance of separating church and state? If nothing else, his obvious blunders in public make me nervous that this man is running the country. Please give me a good, solid reason why you like and respect this man.

I’m an independent as well, but I can understand the Bush appeal. In fact, when his dad was in office and I saw junior’s picture I said to myself that they should run him for president. He’s got a good face. It’s very cowboy.

Firstly, he has not annihilated the separation between church and state. He couldn’t even get faith based initiatives passed. I would like to know what you think, or anybody, that he has done to turn the country into a theocracy.

Secondly, the guy appeals to a lot of normal people culturally speaking. In this sense “normal” means the average cultural norm follower. Bush makes one think of an common business man that has a family and tries to do his best to be a good person. How does one do this? Do they read Heidegger and argue about the word “is” and its meaning in relation to being and time? No, they go to church and ask Jesus to help them not be jerks. Having trouble with the kids or your business, well you say “shucks” and say a few big words that don’t make sense. You’re still keeping it together though just like the average Joe. Bush is against gay marriage because what the fuck is that about? He is for attacking people that try to kill us. He’s for what sounds like fiscal responsibility and hey so is the average Joe at home.

I could go on and on with this stuff, but the bottom line is that he, and his party, appeals to many common sense notions that the average person has. If you think about it most of us must run our households like republicans. We have certain rules and must rigidly watch spending. Most of us are not having Romanesque orgies and would not want to if we could. That’s how it works.

Do I agree with him? Not always, but I understand where he’s coming from.

Ad,

Thanks for answering (especially after our little run in) I must say that I do respect your honesty, and much of what you do is taken out of context. I agree with Tabula that you are basically an altruistic guy who is misunderstood. You have a lot to share and are always willing to “forgive and forget” which is rare from the male persuasion (I’m sexist, but I’m old, people, so give me a freakin’ break)

Bush. Hmmm… Good answer and I think (er) you have made some good points. My gripe about religion is that in the public eye you should keep your mouth shut about your personal beliefs. I feel strongly about this though many don’t agree with me. Just in this forum you see atheists, Satanist, and agnostics… If a person who was worshiping Satan got up and prayed to the darkside in public, imagine the buzz. It simply is wrong in my view.

I think you had some good points on “the good ole boy” and “the family man” but what do you think of the war? Also, I do think there is a point to be made that the Democrats were not involved enough with terrorist activities and “let” this happen. I saw a bit with Bill Maher and he did a standup routine about safety and made the point that nothing has really changed. "Why is it that airports are still NOT secure after 911?!? Then he went on to say, we have no problem with the White House, or the Pentagon; for that matter have you ever tried a bank vault or getting into a ride for free in Disneyland?

Check this out:

Dear Red States,

We’re ticked off at the way you’ve treated California, and we’ve decided we’re leaving.

We intend to form our own country, and we’re taking the other Blue States with us.

In case you aren’t aware, that includes Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and all the Northeast. We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation, and especially to the people of the new country of New California.

To sum up briefly: You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.
We get stem cell research and the best beaches.
We get Elliot Spitzer. You get Ken Lay.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.
We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.
We get Harvard. You get Ole’ Miss.

We get 85 percent of America’s venture capitalists and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.
We get two-thirds of the tax revenue; you get to make the Red States pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition’s, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of unhappy divorced folks.

Please be aware that Nuevo California will be pro-choice and anti-war, and we’re going to want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight, ask your evangelicals. They have kids they’re apparently willing to send to their deaths for no purpose, and they don’t care as long as you don’t show pictures of their children’s caskets coming home. We do wish you success in Iraq, and hope that the WMDs turn up, but we’re not willing to spend our resources in Bush’s Quagmire.

With the Blue States in hand, we will have firm control of 80 percent of the country’s fresh water, more than 90 percent of the pineapple and lettuce, 92 percent of the nation’s fresh fruit, 95 percent of America’s quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90 percent of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools, plus Cal Tech and UC Berkeley.

With the Red States, on the other hand, you will have to cope with 58 percent of all obese Americans (and their projected health care costs), 92 percent of all U.S. mosquitoes, nearly 100 percent of the tornadoes, 90 percent of the hurricanes, 97 percent of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100 percent of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you. San Diego - say no more!

Additionally, 38 percent of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62 percent believe life is sacred unless we’re discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44 percent say that evolution is only a theory, 53 percent that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61 percent of you crazy **stards believe you are people with higher morals than we lefties.

By the way, we’re taking the good pot, too.
You can have that dirt weed they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,
Author Unknown in New California.

(I couldn’t have said it better!) :smiley:

Gotta dance with the one that brung ya.

Jerry

Please translate, Jerry… I haven’t had my coffee or Ritalin yet this morning. “Brung” me where, from what?

Further comment on my quote from California:

Why is he coming up with this for Cali; isn’t he left in the “wrong color state”??? Or was I reading it wrong? Anyhoo, I thought it was a funny read. :smiley:

politicalhumor.about.com/library … lahman.htm

Now that I have been thoroughly chastened, I’m here to post.

Bess,

The thing about Bush is that the polls are closed. You either love the guy and believe everything he says, or you hate him and he’s never told the truth the first time.

It’s way more fun to look at the administration circus clowns…

The comedians and talking heads have never had so much fun…

JT

Oh - more politics… :frowning:

…I thought the thread was going to be about something else if you know what I mean - my bad. :smiley:

I wonder if the “bush” joke will fall from understanding as the shaved publis sweeps the world.

Bush jokes will never die - I don’t make them often - only once in a while - just to keep my hand in

Doh !!! There I go again…

[size=75][What’s a ‘publis’ - shaved or otherwise…?][/size]

Well, that one was funny at least.

Hmm… Anyway, sorry Bessy, for going off topic so blatently - and I suppose since we’re in the serious social-science forum, I’d better clean up my act.

So a reason to respect Bush…

Hang on a moment, it’s on the tip of my tongue

Doh…!

I’m not here to debate, but I have to take issue with this statement.

Three words: Biggest deficit ever.

The Republican party controls the entire government, and they have for the past four years. I fail to see how anyone can even attempt to claim that the GOP is a fiscally responsible party.

Maybe the Republican party of yesteryear was fiscally responsible, but not the current one.

You rarily even hear current Republican politicians talking about fiscal responsiblity. And when they do, it is nothing but rethoric. They talk the talk, but do not walk the walk.

I have college loan debt that I doubt I will ever pay. The whole deal is that most people have to cope with debt and spending. The common person understands what the republicans are talking about.

Alderian, I have seen better christian apologist posts than this “rebuttal”.

Why can’t you just admit that the GOP isn’t fiscally responsible?

I’m sick of people blindly parroting the Republican’s talking points as if they were even remotely true. If the Republicans actually practiced what they preached I’d actually vote for them.

Smaller governement?–Bullshit. The federal government has undergone one of the biggest, if not the biggest, increase ever under the Bush Admin.

States Rights?–Bullshit. They only care about “States Rights” if the state agrees with them. Terri Schiavo proved this.

Fiscal Responsiblity?–Bullshit. We went from the biggest surplus ever to the biggest deficit ever.

These are the facts.

I view finance and spending to be part of a theory as is money in general. At a governmental level money does not matter, so I don’t care. What you are talking about is political rhetoric.

The original question was do people like Bush and I’m telling you.

I’m gonna have to agree with the F’er. I think the GOP spends way too much money and most of their “reforms” after 9/11 are worthless. Where are the reforms of the CIA and FAA?

I don’t like Bush at all, but I still dislike Kerry a tad more. I think the US would benefit greatly by the Democrats hurrying up in getting their heads out of their asses, and starting to hold the Republicans accountable with valid and coherent criticisms and participating in honest discourse. It does no American any good when clowns like Michael Moore and Ted Kennedy represent the views of most Democrats.

That is absolutely retarded.

Since so many americans are too stupid or irresponsible to manage their own debt, it is ok for our government to do the same? pah!

Perhaps some day the punditistia talkin heads will differentiate between socially liberal (progressive) and conservative and fiscally lib or con; they are -not- the same thing and one can be socially liberal (pro choice, pro gay marriage) and fiscally conservative at the same time.

Uh-huh. After our shitty bookkeeping skills lose us (what is left of) our financial credibility worldwide and we can’t get loans anymore, we’ll talk.

Fiscal responsibilty isn’t a partisan issue, its a ‘lets save the country’ issue.

ph0rk,

So, are you a highly educated person that has no debt? Were you born rich or what?

Many Americans have student loans that are very high. Mine are about the equivalent cost of a small house. Meanwhile, the industry that I work in is not exactly in the capitalist fast track, so repayment will not come soon.

I work in an trade that society would be angry about if it disappeared but does not appreciate enough to heavily fund. I believe that it was Aristotle (maybe Plato) that said, every man is a political body unto himself, meaning that every person is like a state. In my state I wanted to achieve a certain function and goal for the body and that required unrealistic spending. The goal was achieved. This mirrors the larger state of the US as it strives to fund social services and military defense that it can’t afford, but does.

This is how I understand the workings of nations.