Can Philosophers be Lawyers?

I’m will enter university in 2 years (1 more year of high school left). My passion is cognitive neuroscience research, that’s what I want to do for a living and I intend to major in Neuroscience in psychology.

It’s just… neuroscience is hard. They make you take hard classes that I might flunk out of…

If that’s the case, is it possible to major in philosophy and then get into a good law school? It’s a contingency plan I’ve dreamed up, in case Organic Chemistry decides to terminate my dreams.

Most jurors probably don’t appreciate Nietzsche references…

I am not familiar with the american system but it is very normal for philosophy graduates to become lawyers/solicitors in the UK. It is seen as one of the best non law subjects you can do before doing a law conversion course.

I honestly know nothing about the subject. I don’t know any law majors so I have no idea…

Mostly the same over here.

One of my friends is a geology major and he’s going into law. I find that interesting…

This is complete hearsay, but a friend of mine told me that philosophy majors score second highest, on average, on the LSATs. The highest, so says my mate, is physics.
But I’m positive that philosophy is a good precursor to law. It exercises your arguing skills.

To my knowledge philosophy is, along with history, one of the main subjects for lawyers to study at undergraduate level.

I had read that Philosophy majors score the highest on the GRE. I didn’t read the stats on the LSAT. Good luck! :slight_smile:

It is far enough in the future that I wouldn’t really worry about it. When I entered university, I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to be 1) an English/philosophy/some-liberal-arts major 2) a German major or 3) a biochemistry major. For my first two years, I played a delicate balancing act between those three options (lots of coursework, but why else are you in college? I was still able to party much more than many people I know. Work hard, play hard). Eventually, I actually decided on bacteriology for a major and then persued a Ph.D. in Immunology/Microbiology.

You never know which way your desires will take you, so expose yourself to as much as possible during the first year or two of university. It will make the last two years a breeze because of the foundation you’ve created and you will ultimately be happier with what you’ve chosen. I mean, worse case scenario, you could still be a biology “pre-med” major sniggers.

Also, even if you are interested in law, I would say still get a science major – ideally in the biological sciences (declaration of bias ought be noted here). There is a major shortage of patent lawyers, and even fewer patent lawyers with a strong background in science.

Keep your interests broad, that will keep your mind sharp in whatever field you decide to follow.

Yeah, law schools in the US like philo majors. The philosphy of law is still relevant to the practise. In fact, as much as ever. Xunzian is sensible here. You don’t have to lock yourself in to anything in your first year. In your first year in college, you should be concentrating on partying and getting laid, anyway. And you probably will.

Remember that if you understand organic chemistry you might be insane. Better to know, I guess.

Almost any field of study can lend itself to a law degree. For instance, the reference to geology/law by gobbo: A lawyer highly skilled in mineral rights cases? Why not?

I agree with the sentiment that it is a little early to lock yourself in to a specific area of study. Most first year students are still trying to decide between becoming a brain surgeon or a fry cook. It’s usually something in between. :smiley:

Here’s how I see it. (And I did actually go to law school)

1. Anyone wishing to avoid difficulties by going to law school is a fool. Law school is difficult, for anyone. It’s not the material, it’s the scope and depth of what must be learned.

2. You’re more likely to get into a good PhD program at a good school than to land a seat in a prestigious law school. Duh!

3. Rule against perpituities. Very important, and not.

4. Any major is acceptable for law school. Most schools seek a diverse student body, ie, one that is composed of diverse background, ethnicities, and undergrad majors.

5. Language, Philosophy and Math majors have an advantage in law school. Criminal law is a small part of law, and so is politics. Therefore, political science and criminal science majors have only a small advantage in a few courses. Majors that have taught one to break down essential communications will benefit a law student in all statutory courses, and usually some others.

6. If you get a science degree, you will be eligible to take the patent bar. From what I hear (I am unable to take the patent bar) the opportunities are greatly increased for those individuals.

Enough for now. You can make up your own mind.

Thanks a lot. I just wanted to see if my “Plan B” was a viable option. You all seem to think so.

Thanks alot for all the input.

If they learn counting, they’ll be invincible. Just a brief vocab update.

I’m not going to say that I read about the case of a philosopher who duped the the court so much (check the key word in a Polish dictionary, nominative goes “dupa” and refers NOT to the nominee, but to the court) that he was found innocent on the only basis (stated) that he convinced them, because you won’t believe me.

No, it wasn’t me, although it took place in Poland. Albeit, can’t wait till ILP sues me. J u s t i c e

spacing probed 2*2

hell

Learn just to count the money well, of course. What did you think?

OH MY SWEET DEAR GOD, What did you say?

If you’re afraid of hard things means you didn’t get hardened well before. It goes either this or that way, with the tendency to slip down. Where the hell are you planning to end up? In a courtroom with A/C, with some rich bastard on your right you contempt twice, once for what he did, twice for that you have taken his money to use your best knowledge and eloquence (God, the Two) to tell everyone that he didn’t, for which the convinced tell you are good, but your inside won’t take it no matter what? And the bastard goes free earning more money, you take another one to the quiet room and first you discuss the pay?

Or.

In a laboratory with A/C, with decent and honest (forgotten word) income source, where you watch some circuits work and then… you are among first few who feel new presence in the room.

So, here’s Plan A and B, put as straight as I could. You’re the one who’s got the passion, but heard from some bag it might be hard to follow.

Let’s have you publically say how you feel about.

Then I’ll tell you what I fear and admire in neuro. If you’re not a chicken shit, after you decided to take the first step it’s about going forward, not looking backwards.

I can’t wait to graduate from college, I think working at a gas station might not pay that well, but it would be fun.

. . . ok, this post had nothing to do with the topic . . . goodbye.

I myself

like the smell of gasoline, do you?
like good cars, where can you see more coming?
like chicks, well, the options like ‘your car is severely damaged, let me have you wait inside, milk, sugar’ totally depend on your imagination
like the mechanics, it’s not a stupid, oily stuff, you know how things work, you don’t have to pay others for checking spark plugs (trite)

you don’t worry where your wife is, delegated, simply because she’s backyard of your own home not far away from the pump station that looks neat and people stop there just to talk, so you take a chance and offer them your cofffee, you make friends
oh, here’s a nickel

Had more to do than any other inluding mine.

Stay happy.

I learned a lot.
I learned not to ignore the online nicknames, no matter what they say.
I learned to do my best just feeling silly it’s so damn little.
I learned that I’m a fucking brainiac you can’t stand for more reasons than you can invent, but lim->0 more than I can name and show you.

If I was a teacher, I would have a decent income. Enough about me. They call it what?

Boast now, no limits.

One of the big reasons I like neuroscience is because the brain is perhaps the most complex system ever encountered. I like it BECAUSE it’s hard.

But academics is an odd game. Sometimes things just don’t work out. So it’s always a good idea to have a Plan B in mind so that incase things go bad, you still have an opportunity to get a job that requires asking deeper questions then, “Do you want fries with that?”

I am not.

Well, bear in mind that a lot of people I consider chicken shits took the first step, didn’t look back, fell flat on their face, and now have been working at Burger King for the past 5 years.

I’ve got my passion, I’ve got my dreams, I’m going to realize them, but I want to have a plan B so that if things don’t work out the way I imagine I will still have a large income.

Oh, btw, I like philosophy because it’s hard too. And I’d enjoy the challenge of law school as well. [/i]

is it in your nature to like things that are hard? or is this just a phase? This is important to learn.

no I don’t want fries with that, but I would like another burrito. Burger king would suck ass in my opinion, but being a cook in the back of a mexican resturant would be fun. Don’t lump all $10/hr or less jobs as being suck, some are fun for some people.

so you want insurance (plan B) along side with your dreams? Well, I have heard mixed results with this kind of thinking.

will a large income (and the work you have to do to get it at the job) ultimately make you happy. Isn’t that the ultimate goal?

Good luck, choices are fun aren’t they??? :smiley: