Can someone please fill me in.....

Hello whoever reads this,

Can you please explain to me what the differences are between Philosophy and Psychology, because all of the things I have been hearing it seems to me that they are quite similar, just Psychology is the better one.

Can you please tell me what the differences are and why they are both effective. Or one of the other.

Thanks

Well for the most part there is a big difference.

Philosophy is the general study of truth and knowledge and meaning; ‘Philosopher’ comes from the Greek and means ‘lover of wisdom’.

Psychology on the other hand deals with the mind; it attempts to discover, predict and understand psychological processess, behaviour and thought. The two do overlap to a degree in the philosophy of mind, but apart from that they are distinct.

Check out these definitions from dictionary.com

Philosophy:

Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.

Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.

A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.

The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.

The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.

The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.

A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.

A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life

Psychology:

The science that deals with mental processes and behavior.

The emotional and behavioral characteristics of an individual, group, or activity: the psychology of war.

For most of their history philosophy and psychology were the same discipline. Their recent separation has impoverished both. Psychology tends to have more scientific pretensions; philosophy is not as concerned to perform experiments. Often theories today overlap the boundaries of these disciplines.