Change and Permanence

There seems to be two types of individuals: those who recognize change and adapt to it accordingly or those who see change as a constant, and therefore, focus on the constant part, perhaps idealizing some permanent absolute state. Both types adapt, as they well must. But the latter half, the constant lovers are more resistant to change, if only in attitude and perspective. They don’t look at the willingness to change along with change as a skill, but a failing of current conditions.

People willing to change, who enjoy change, focus on the specifics at present.
People resistant to change, who dislike change, have a more general outlook. Long run vs immediate gains.

Well . . . which one are you?
And yes some clever people here will say both or neither.

Interesting.

Contrib: youtube.com/watch?v=WEIfMqM5wnM

Interesting video. It’s stuff like that might help me radically change my life. So thanks.

I’m the more general type, wishing for permanence. It may have been holding me back.

Example:
I’m better with english skills, in a math driven world. Maybe I should go the math route. If anything, to spice things up, personally.

If anything, I should stop telling myself I’m bad at math, just so I can justify my lack of interest in it.

Plenty of time for permanence in the grave.

More genuinely I very much fear radical change but embrace subtle change. I’m radically left-wing/progressive but like how things are in a more general sense.

I have no idea what’s going on.

I wish I could live perpetually in the last quarter of the 1900s, but I’d be fine with as early as the 50s. Have you ever eaten something really awful, like brocolli, then every time you think of it you feel worse? Everytime I recall that we’re in this century that happens to me.

It’s no wonder why we associate eternal anything with the grave. But these theories of foreverness affect our ability to work within the changes now.

I don’t no idea what’s going on, either.

I wonder if future generations will think of this brocolli era as the golden meal, later.
Like a death row inmates last meal.

They’re going to have some questions and if I’m still around I’m not going to have any answers.

I’m totally with ya on that. I consider this one postive aspect of my not having kids.

No one is aware of those who resist change…
…until someone is trying to change them
…without their permission.

Why not change?
…Why change?

Why not ask the right questions?

Why change?

Because change is occuring already.

The question is then about the rate of change. Speed it up, slow it down, let it happen at varying speeds? Undergo change without the ability to control it?

For what purpose?

…that was the point.

I dislike change, I prefer scedules. But, I have been teaching myself that change=adventure.

Do you mean they are more resistant to change in that they psychologically resist it more, or in that it affects them less?

I enjoy adapting to change. I get restless when things don’t change, and sometimes stir things up just to see what comes out. But I am not in favour of all change for change’s sake; I think in complex systems (like society) it’s best to take it slow.

Arthur Balfour, a British Conservative Prime Minister who was also a philosopher, was famed for delaying and minimising any new legislation - it was said of him “if you want nothing doing, he’s your man”. But this was a principle: rather than fear of change, he knew change was coming anyway and tried to minimise the impact and gradient of it, to give the country’s systems and institutions time to adapt themselves - evolution, rather than revolution.

I don’t think people who dislike change are necessarily more long-term thinkers; if anything, the opposite. There is no gain without change, for starters, and it is usually the immediate changes that cause the most anxiety.

Perfect way to look at it. Indeed there’s something very exciting about all this uncertainty. I think by 2030 or so we’ll have a much better idea of “what’s going on.”

There are various kinds of changes: changes in work conditions, jobs, living conditions, family, homes, etc., etc., etc. People often don’t like their routines changed, so they grouse about any changes to their work conditions, until they settle into a new routine. I’ve always tried to find reasons for the changes, rather than grumble about them. But I’ve also fought against zoning changes, for example, that I find detrimental to the environment. I was raised an Army brat, which meant we relocated constantly. I enjoyed it, but I defended myself against it by ending chapters each time we moved. Now, I don’t want to move, I’m perfectly happy where I am. I don’t even want to rearrange the furniture in our house!

I look forward, however, to changes in myself which is why I love learning. This isn’t always a drastic change, however. Sometimes–usually–it’s a subtle, gradual, change. I read and digest something, but disagree with it in general. Later on, I may find that I’ve internalized bits and pieces that I have agreed with and it’s exciting to understand how that’s added a new depth, a new level, to my understanding of me.

Everyone has defense mechanisms; we have them in order to cushion ourselves from what may be our own reality. I’d close a chapter in my life book whenever we moved, other people simply don’t dwell on the changes they face. Whatever defense mechanism one chooses, however, it’s a necessary one at the time. And it was developed early in life, imm, and is used throughout life. If it gives you comfort to close your eyes when you get an injection, close your eyes! If you complain about a disruption in your routine, go ahead and complain, if it makes you feel better. If changed is forced on you, however, try to adapt to it, despite your feeling of loss of control over your life.

That’s just me. :slight_smile: