Colors

Okay, here’s my theory. Color is created by chemicals in certain objects causing light to bounce off the objects. The colors that the object cannot deflect morph together and decide the color of it. This is what I was taught.
Ex: Oxygen causes blood to turn from blue to red

Well, is it possible for the human eyes to react differently to light and chemicals just as light does? (Or something like it.) I think if all human eyes differentiate in the colors they see.

What one person sees as red, might be blue to another. For example, bring two people together. Person A and Person B. There is a puddle of blood in front of them. The human mind perceives blood as red because that is what everyone is taught to know. Red is blood, apples, Mario’s hat, etcetera. A sees the puddle a red. But what if B saw the puddle as what A perceived as blue, but because both were taught that blood is red, they agree that it is red. Put a strawberry in front of them. A perceives it as red and B sees the strawberry as A’s blue, but they agree that it is red because of logic in the human mind. The eyes can react differently to light and the chemicals that make color. They could both see it as C’s green, but all three would agree that the blood and strawberry are red by definition and logic.

Thoughts?

I agree.

Yusss, I like this subject. Read up on Remarks on Colour by Ludwig Wittgenstein and read my thread about it here: ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … ?p=1918558
(I’m altd&s)

''Ex: Oxygen causes blood to turn from blue to red ‘’

This is, in fact, a common misconception, blood is always red, the membrain of the vein is blue.

In fact,
Pure white light contains all colors throughout the spectrum, the specific make-up of certain substances react with the specific part of the spectrum that it then shows as it’s color.

Every element has a specific color it can be identified with under analysis.

Aerial photographs taken of landscapes analysed can reveal the entire elemental make-up of the surface area. They use this technique on the space program.

Well, Tertiary, that doesn’t exactly disprove the possibility. Colors can be defined and tabled and set to different chemical make-ups, but as for how the eye perceives them, is a matter of the specific make-up of the eye and how it reacts to different lights. It’s all relative to different human beings, I think.

If you are coming from the angle of perceptive conditioning that comes from outside the conditioned body then I agree. Kind of like how the color blue is ‘‘blue’’ to me, but ‘‘bleu’’ to frenchy.

It’s called spectroscopy. It’s not just the anylasis of a photograph.

This does happen to people!
I knew a guy at college who saw colours differently from the rest of us, but this is very rare, and the majority of us do see colours as they are.

If what you are saying was the case: we wouldn’t be able to differentiate a red apple from a green one, but we can… We can also see when green tomatoes are ripening, and start to turn red: then we know it’s edible.

It’s all part of our survival mechanisms…

I don’t think I did: my response should have made that clear to you - perhaps you did not comprehend my analogy…

An apple/tomato/strawberry goes through a ripening process: therefore through colour changes i.e. the colour is not fixed - how is anyone going to misconstrue the colour of that fruit at any given time?

Oh no I didn’t!

Please explain where I misconstrued the question? :unamused:

Perhaps you did not understand my analogy: of why the initial question would not hold true: due to objects having stages of varying colour…