Confessions of an ObamaCare backer

“Wall Street Journal”, on the “New Yorker”, on ObamaCare:

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 65894.html

That’s crap. There was no great migration by old folks from the republican party to the democrats after medicaid was enacted.

Americans are stuck with the bill, now. Does this guy think that healthcare falls from the sky, now?

Really bad argument.

You ought to be ashamed at your dishonesty.
Instead of looking at the wall street journal dishonesty, I looked at the original article.
You know the one in the New yorker and the original article is far more balanced than indicated and the
wall street abridgement is simply dishonest in the way it presents his article. It adds stuff to the abridgement that
is not in the original article and by omissions makes the article seems like something it is not.
Cassidy is actually pretty fair minded about the bill but you can’t tell that from the wall street abridgement.
Cassidy’s article is actually about a dozens or more paragraphs long. So wall street journal simply lies about
what is in the article to make a political point and you repeat the lies in hoping that if you tell enough lies
people will believe you. It’s like saying the declaration of independence is really a document supporting
tyranny because it mentions tyranny. It’s that kind of a lie.

Kropotkin

Assuming the WSJ is accurately portraying at least a part of what Cassidy is saying, there is a chance that Cassidy is simply wrong, and furthermore there is a near certainty that his reasons are not the only reasons for supporting the health care bill. For instance, if the health care bill will create something that the middle class won’t want to lose, it’s probably because it creates something that benefits the middle class. If this bill will benefit the middle class, and by passing it the Democrats gain a reputation as a party that promotes the interests of the middle class, that sounds quite reasonable, and not very sinister at all.

“Making the middle class more dependent on government” begs the central political question. It is not a given that the middle class wasn’t dependent on government to begin with, or that the government is not the only force securing equality for all. If that’s in fact the case, the middle class is already dependent on government, and rather than affecting that dependence, the vote on the health care is a vote of whether to satisfy that dependence, or whether not to. It’s not creating dependence, it’s living up to it.

More than likely, most supporters of the healthcare bill are in this camp, as opposed to the evil-tyranny-seekers camp that Cassidy is in (according to WSJ).

“ObamaCare”? Worst. Pejorative. Ever.

I think the real point is the government has run government run Medicare (as well as government run Social Security) into the ground. So now, instead of fixing what they’ve done, they propose that government run all Health-care under Obamacare (whatever happened to “Kennedycare”) instead of just Medicare.

We’re about to see illustrated on a world-wide scale that you don’t get what you don’t pay for.

As always, when government messes something up, the solution, we are told, is always more government. Just as long as a scapegoat exists, of course.

Government screws up the housing industry through fannie/freddie/FHA/CRA, blames it on “capitalism”, and proposes new regulation and beauracracy as the solution.

Government screws up the auto industry with union labor laws/environmental-fuel regulations, blames it on “greed”, and proposes government takeovers of auto corporations as the solution.

Government screws up the healthcare industry through wage-price controls/medicare/medicaid, blames it on “free markets” and “insurance companies”, and proposes more government regulation and programs as the solution.

I wonder when people will wake up and realise they are being duped. Its not left vs right. Its them vs us.

Wake up.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

TPT,
-Medicare is suffering because the population is aging, and because money from its trust has been ‘borrowed’ to fund other programs. The structure of the program itself is less of a problem than the problems caused by the broader context in which it exists, i.e. all programs that seek to achieve its aims are subject to similar problems (this similar to what I argue here regarding Social Security).
-The health care legislation currently under consideration does not create a single-payer system, and Obama has long rejected the possibility of a single-payer system in the US. Thus, ObamaCare has never set out to “run all Health-care”.

TLM, first, you make a lot of controversial statements in order to argue your point. It is hardly a settled matter that the crises in housing, the auto industry, and healthcare are government-generated.
-The housing crisis had something to do with guaranteed credit laws, but it also had something to do with bank employees being poorly incentivized to close morally ambiguous deals;
-The auto industry is as much the fault of the unions and the companies. If the government is to blame, it is just for guaranteeing the big three business in the form of government contracts and trade restrictions. That incentivized the industry to sit on its ass while foreign car makers started producing better cars.
-Healthcare run by governments around the word is better and cheaper than privately provided healthcare in the US, and US healthcare covers fewer people. There’s no private counter-example to this trend, so saying that deregulating the insurance industry would cause it to improve beyond other systems around the world is nothing but an article of faith.

For decades the government has tried to dump off medicare and medicaid to private industry on the
assumption that private industry could do it cheaper and found there is no possible way private
industry can do medicare and medicaid cheaper. They found out the government administration n
of medicare and medicaid is about .08% of cost whereas private industry industry cost is about
2.3%. And the same thing exist with health care for the exact same reasons. What is medicare and
medicaid? simply health care for a group of people. What is a national health care plane?
simply a larger version of medicare. The same exist in regards to veterans care by the way.

Kropotkin

Would that be the flying doctor?

AH, Mr. Derleydoo, I am glad to see you again in these parts. One of my many, many faults is a failure
see these things which you have noticed. Plan, plane whatever. In the over all scheme of things, it doesn’t matter, because
in a few days, no one will remember my mistake and in a few years, no one will remember me and a few years after
that no one will remember america and a few years after that, no one will remember the human race and a few years after
that no one will even know a planet called earth existed.

[size=200]We are all going to die [/size]

So what does it matter what I do or think, when we are going to die.

Sorry, just got home from work and not quite feeling the love from work.
On the bright side, if I die I won’t have to go into that evil pit of hell.

Kropotkin