Confining institutions.

Science and philosophy only operates between institutions of confinement.

What are other people’s take on this?

What do you mean institutions of confinement? If you’re saying that they can only assert things which are properly placed into the epistemic categories that they function off of then sure.

It also depends on what you mean by “between.” Are you suggesting they are opporating “within” separate confines which are themselves separated by (i.e. between) other confines? If they are operating out side of, but between other confines, then that is another question. Finally, you could be suggesting they are opporating together within confines.

Or you could just be asking. In that case, I’d say it’s all relative and the answer is yes and no.

Joker that avatar is awesome. I’ve got a big barcode tattoo on the back of my head.

It’s easy to think outside the box when you were never inside the box in the first place.

That is what I am saying.

I’m saying that they couldn’t exist outside of confinement.

Indeed. :slight_smile:

Then I agree w/ you 100%. I started a thread a while back asking what people think should be the descriptions of the epistemic categories of things like science or religion or morality or what have you and it was ignored. I guess it wasn’t inflammatory enough to peak anyone’s interest. Maybe I should start off with a statement like:

Scientists and Preachers are all full of shit!! They can’t possibly know what they say they do! There must be some limitations to thier knowledge!! What are those limits!?

I think that 99.99% of the time they stay within confinement. Progress is made when they step out for a little bit and then come back, shake the house up and drag everyone, kicking and screaming, into a new confinement.

Interesting use of words in titles usually do rouse people’s attention.

Try it out! :slight_smile:

I have always wonder why anything in life needs to be categorized with a stamp of human approval considering that such actions take out the enchantment of life. This is the most disenchanting era of man and it is quite depressing.

Do they ever step out and when? :wink:

When they step out of the narrow institutional lines is it not just the illusion of them passing out by pretending as doing so where infact they are not?

Well, I guess you could say they are not stepping out, but, rather, are just pushing some elastic confines further out. But that would have to accept the idea that telling the king he has no cloths is really what the king encourages.

Maybe they do step out from time to time, but remain tethered like an astronaut on a space walk. Is he out of the ship, or confined by the tether?

P.S. I love to mix my metaphors. :smiley: