Cynicism and Veneration

Giorgio Colli wrote in “Dopo Nietzsche” that “Nel cinismo c’e del veleno, dell’impotenza, della vendetta.” Which is very accurate. He also calls it a plebian rationality, and that the man of culture wants to rebel against the man of power through this behaviour. Cynicism, he writes also, gives the illusion of superiority to the frustrated. So, to him, it is surprising that Nietzsche wrote in Ecce Hommo, according to Colli, for I didn’t find it: “di aver raggiunto qua e la, nei suoi libri, il punto piu alto che si possa raggiungere sulla terra, il cinismo.”
Colli says that the cynic would like to be a revolutionary. In contrast to this type of man, colli poses the man of knowledge, who sees that we are nothing new in relation to our past, but only it’s continuation. The man of knowledge is a golden mean. At the other extreme from cynicism stands veneration. In front of anything great, in these individuals there develops a sense of recognition, as they are ready to receive and grateful to receive. What one is is then traced to what is great in the present and the present to what is great in the past. The nobles are exemplars of this type.

I say it comes down to money and power. Cynicism and venration are effects of class, not “type”, not “nature”. No one is born “noble”, nor “frustrated” or “plebian”. The cynic is a revolutionary just as the noble is a conservative. Each is bound by the natural desire for power. This is the cause and the rest is just an effect of this.
Anyone, including Nietzsche, probably transists from one attachment to the other…knowledge does not overcome our physical needs. That is just the vain imaginings of those that hope to overcome the Law of change and their transitioness. So Nietzsche probably DID reach the highest level of cynicism as he probably overcame, if for a time, his cynicsim. When that happens, the revolutionary becomes another nobleman. Of course it will wear a mask, it would be something else in his mind, but the effects of the revolution will be an echo to what it overthrew. The revolutionaries become the new nobility, and the revolution becomes THE Revolution, and afterwards all venerate The Revolution and will seek their roots and dignity.

Prove it.

Very well. Will you provide the funds for my noble research?

How would you spend it?

On myself. I’ll study the premise of my arguments that way. Otherwise it is pure speculation.

There was an argument there? Really? Can you rewrite it as a series of premisses and a conclusion?

I am not Burger King, where you can have it YOUR way. If you cannot do that on your own…

There was no argument there, was there? It was just a string of assertions or, as you would put it, ‘pure speculation’.

If a tree falls in a forest, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound? It is a question that will give you an answer.

Please stop waffling.

The cynic engages in retreatism as opposed to revolution. It does ultimately come down to money and power, of course, but those who will themselves towards futile disenfranchisement will opt for the cynical path.