Decomcracy????

A number of countries claim to be democracies. The Unitd Kingdom is one.

As an adult in the UK, I am allowed to vote, and in doing so I accept, that elections that I take part in could result in changes to legislation that I do no not agree with.

My problem is this. When you vote, if your views are rejected and laws passed that you do not agree with, you have had a chance to influence their outcome by voting.

But what about laws passed before you were born and are still in existance.

Why in a democracy should you be forced to conform to rules agreed by others, most of whom are now dead?

Well, if it’s just you who disagrees with those laws, you presumably have the right to voice your disliking and thereby hopefully gain adherents. If no one jumps on board your train, that’s tough titties. If, on the other hand, it’s a whole majority that disagrees with the laws layd down by passed generations, they can easily change legislation in virtue of being the majority. So long as your constitutional rights aren’t being violated, why should the law conform to your own personal needs and preferences?

Why shouldn’t the vote of those who are dead count in a democracy?

democracy is mob rule…

don’t like a law? get a bigger mob and make new laws…

don’t like the bigger mob? get a gun.

-Imp

well, many or even most laws dont have an expiration date attached to them. once established, they will exist until they are repealed or overridden by new laws. in the democratic sense, you can challenge any law you do not like by writing or calling your congressperson, speaking out publically, leading a campaign, running for office yourself, bringing a legal challenge in court…

just because you (theoretically) get to affect the laws you live under in a democracy doesnt mean that you will not have to live under some laws that you did not explicitly approve of. but (once again, in theory at least) you can always work within the system to get them changed. or at least try.

Never mind the huge body of “law” which is specifically exempt from the “democratic process” once passed as you point out - the real story, in my view, is that representitive democracy is a farcical veneer of the rule of a small class over the majority.

Its not democratic.

theyliewedie.org/ressources/ … cracy.html

kp

I agree with Krossie. Democracy in most countries as we know it, is not really democratic. Usually, at least in my country, it’s a partycracy where a few top party-men get to decide most.

Only a few mainstream-power parties can realisticly be expected to get in office. These are all tied in with different groupings of society, who in turn give their vote to them. The top of these parties make up the lists and the order of the lists you get to vote on.The top of the party determines how chosen congressmen will vote, according to party-line. The top of the party determines what policy ministers should follow…

This makes voting for the individual, in practice, only a marginal influencing of which flavor of power you want to be ruled by. I don’t really think the term ‘democratic’ applies.