Define "something"

I’ve noticed a lot of new members are making the same mistake Plato made thousands of years ago. That is, they try to define “something” when that something is multi-dimensional and they try to reduce it to one dimension. Plato in the Republic tried to define “justice”. The word justice has many meanings, Plato associate the word justice with many other concepts and arrive at messy conclusions. which is expected given the topic was not restricted from the start.

When asked to define knowledge. Is the author asking us to define the meaning of the word knowledge. I mean, what is s/he trying to ask us to define? If s/he can’t define knowledge, how does s/he know we could define it. And even if we had, how does s/he know we have made the right definition if s/he doesn’t know the answer from the start?

P.s May God bless the soul of our beloved Holy Father. God bless him!

Some words are not definable i.e what is is. Some words are misused, the pope was not my father. The written word is open to interpretation and is at best ambiguous.

PoR, when someone asks to define knowledge for him, he must already have a general understanding of what it means and may be looking for a more formal one. He will know that we gave the right definition because it would be the truth which is absolute with no doubts around. If let’s say I speak Hindi, which is my mother tongue but look up the meaning of the word knowledge whose meaning I don’t know, as soon as I see its meaning, I’ll know it’s the truth 'cause I’d already have some knowledge of the word in my mother tongue. A perfect meaning would be absolute and not refutable.

One question for you. Are you suggesting that a multi-dimensional thing cannot be defined or that it should not be reduced to a one dimensional thing to be defined? In my view, it doesn’t matter how you define a thing so long as you reach the right definition. For example: God can be defined by so many in as many ways and also experienced in as many ways. Since God is multi-dimensional as He is infinite, according to you, God could not be defined in some narrow way or by reducing to one dimension, yet we all do define God in our own ways that satisfy us, but individually. A true definition therefore would be something that would satisfy us all and so would have to be absolute or universally understood or not doubted by any. But multi-dimensional or not and no matter how it is defined, the definition if absolute would be the truth or the right definition.

You have a very bad habit of summarizing other people’s work in your own words without using any quotes to give due credit to others, in case you decide to summarize my dear, can you puhleeeeeeeeeeze make sure that you don’t steal other people’s ideas? OUCH!

Definitions needn’t be distrusted as much as some philosophers would urge us to.

Fundamentally, I think definitions are linked to power. Those in power decide how a word or concept should be defined. A clear example is “democracy”. For those currently in power in the West, “democracy” is primarily defined as indicating a “one person, one vote” political system, with secondary qualifications added in such as freedom of the press etc.

However, what if we were to think of democracy, not so much as a concrete form of political organisation but, rather, as a constantly evolving project? Challenging definitions can be a productive, progressive enterprise… but simply challenging the very concept of “definition” (in the way that Jacques Derrida and his followers like to do) is more than likely going to help those who have power maintain their rule.

Define something? Something is a term that is simply a pronoun.

The absence of nothing.

“You have a very bad habit of summarizing other people’s work in your own words without using any quotes to give due credit to others, in case you decide to summarize my dear, can you puhleeeeeeeeeeze make sure that you don’t steal other people’s ideas? OUCH!”

That’s incredibly vain. Who cares who thought it? I didn’t notice you thanking any programmers for the forum medium.

“steal” people’s ideas? There’s something about that statement that grates on me intensely. Chutzpah. It’s not like they own it.

It is not possible that something be, “The absence of nothing” as you portray, because even nothing is something. Gotcha!

Grandpa, if you never felt bad about your ideas or words being stolen, it means that you never had any significant ones in the first place!

No, I just don’t have the audacity to claim it as my own. The ability to comprehend and assimilate a concept is rights enough of ownership.

“It is not possible that something be, “The absence of nothing” as you portray, because even nothing is something. Gotcha!”

Nothing is only something in reference to something else. In this case my nothing is your something because you give three dimensions to it and create an object of consciousness.

BeenaJain

no, when you define something. You say A = B. there is no argument to why that is the case, that is simply is by definition. If you knew A = B, your mother says A = C, when B =\C then we have a complete change in definition. there is no argument to it. that’s why I think people are wasting their time playing language game trying to define “knowledge” or “justice” for that matter.

when a word has multiple meaning, then it should have multiple meaning, people shouldn’t try to reduce it to mean one thing.

then you are making a wrong definition, if definition is possible.

how do you know it is the right definition if you do not have the knowledge of the right definition to start off with?

Please define God, i.e what is God.

Steal other people’s idea?

is it possible for two people to arrive at the same conclusions independently? Is Kant the only person who had a brain? I mean, just because you are stupid, doesn’t mean the rest of us are also stupid.

moichido

when a word means many things, it is multi-dimensional. and should remain so.

But I don’t have to define “something”. A dictionary has already done it for me. Here it is:

1. An undetermined or unspecified thing: “We’re all recalling something, furtively seeking something” (Virginia Woolf).
  2. An unspecified or undetermined amount or extent: “We know something about the early settlers in this area.”

There, that was easy. Most English words are defined in any good English dictionary.

good one, Kennethamy. :smiley:

“something” is making me touch myself at night.