Desperate Reality

Every reality is one’s own. It is futile to philosophize over what’s real, because the only significant reality is individual reality. Certainly, there are undisputed truths, for example, physical death, that exist irrespective of the dimensions of one’s reality. But you don’t have to believe that physical reality is ultimate reality. In fact, ninety five percent of Americans don’t. So what’s your reality?

All philosophers, and all people for that matter, are truth seekers. There is a human compulsion to know what is true, and therefore, real. But all truth claims are made by a single means: reason. Logic is our only capacity. Some argue that belief is an additional capacity, but this capacity only exists in the context of reason. Every believer asks himself, “is my belief reasonable?” If any belief was truly believed to be nonsensical or unreasonable, it would not be a belief.

The tragedy of logic is that it establishes criteria which it itself cannot live up to. Its circular. But we use reason to make nice tidy arguments, as I myself am attempting. Let me prove to you that such and such exists, because of this and that. These arguments are meaningful only insofar as you find meaning in them. We are the attributors of all meaning and we use circular logic to establish it. And while I myself am attempting to make a truth claim, simultaneously I know that it is premised on faulty logic, and I am paralyzed for reality is no longer reasonable, but desperate.

Your reality need not come to desperation. In fact, most don’t because reason still rules. We live in a rationalized world. God Himself is part of our rational universe. We allow for even the nonsensical to make “perfect sense.” We cannot operate in any other capacity, less we succumb to desperation and, ultimately, debilitating inertia. As evidenced by this essay, even I cannot entirely accept the desperate reality without it being a “reasonable” one.