Determinism

We know Mary’s not responsible regardless of what she chooses. You refuse to listen as to why, as we extend the corollary – Thou Shall Not Blame — the desire to hurt another will no longer be. You keep bringing up this grey area and you use it to conclude that there will always be conflict. =;

Absolutely shameless!

As though the author above began his book this way…

“After I explain definitively how and why non-living matter became living matter became conscious matter became self-conscious matter, I’ll explain how and why you don’t need free will to read my book in order to set into motion a brave new world of entirely moral men and women. Which may or may not continue on into an afterlife”.

It’s not that we have no free will that sets in motion a brave new world of entirely moral men and women. It is the knowledge that lies behind the door of determinism that allows a new world to be possible. If we had free will, man could not accomplish this. BTW, the word morality won’t be needed anymore because there will be no hurt, and if there is no hurt there is no need for the word.

Click.

And this has exactly what to do with you connecting the dots between merely asserting this to be true and demonstrating how it must be true given your own definitive assessment of “how and why non-living matter became living matter became conscious matter became self-conscious matter.”

You’re stuck here just like all the rest of us. Only, in my view, the point of your point is that, in believing that it is the optimal or the only rational point that there is, it comforts and consoles you psychologically. You really do understand human brain matter going all the way back to why there is any matter at all. You really are able to fit the “human condition” into an unequivocal explanation for the existence of existence itself.

You are just comforted and consoled all the more because on top of the science here, you also have a handle on all of the moral conflagrations that have rent the human species for millennia. And, in possessing no free will, we mere mortals, after enough of us “choose” to read the author’s book, will reconfigure the human condition itself into a world where there is no more hurt. Why? Because in regard to good and evil the world will come around to all of the things that the author thought was good and evil.

Is aborting the unborn evil, or is forcing women to give birth evil? Read the book and imagine a world where it’s all just figured out and there are no more unwanted pregnancies.

Just so you know, peacegirl, iambiguous is posting your words on other forums and replying to you there as well. I guess he thinks he can dunk on you in places you’re helpless to respond, or something.

Click.

Actually, I hadn’t thought of that. So, going forward, I will only post discussions to both forums when the person I am quoting is a member of both forums. And I’ll delete the post including peacegirl from PN that I posted today. Though I do invite peacegirl to give PN a try.

Are this conversations all for show? Do you have an audience? I’m trying to understand what the value of having the same conversation with the same person twice is.

If the value you get out of the conversation is just you’re own personal growth, then… you get all that value from just having it once.

Are you getting paid per post or something? What’s gained by posting it twice?

Again, all about me.

The fourth Stooge? :-k

Now back to this:

And re the is/ought world:

I don’t care if Mary had a million abortions. I’m bringing myself to completion right now thinking about Mary having abortions, and then I’m going to gather up my own millions of abortions in some toilet paper and toss them in the bin. Who cares about abortions?

I’m really not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry iambiguous, it has nothing to do with what comforts me. You’re wrong.

I don’t have to. This is your requirement. No one else’s.

This is not about reconfiguring the human condition. It is changing the environment which will act upon human conduct. You are afraid to read my posts I believe otherwise you would know what he meant by good and evil. Good and evil are relative terms. Dog food is good to a starving person whereas it is evil (or bad) to someone who has steak. For most individuals, there is a definition for what people feel is evil, and that is anything that causes harm to another. Doing something to someone that they don’t want done to themselves.

There won’t be. You have no clue how powerful this law is. And if there was a rare occasion where the woman had to decide on an abortion, or a decision to have the baby, it will be her decision alone, not yours or anyone else’s.

Absolutely…pathetic.

Note to nature:

He and I are done, right?

iambiguous to peacegirl: "well, I tried, right?

peacegirl to iambiguous: “well, I tried right?”

:laughing:

I challenge Biggy to an arm wrestling contest!

Thanks for letting me know Flannel Jesus, not that my posts aren’t a free for all. I would hope they would be used intelligently. I guess bad press is better than no press, right?

What site is PN? Iambiguous, why would you post my stuff on another forum where I don’t get to respond? I guess that makes you right because you have no opposition. :laughing:

From PN:

No, if in fact we do have free will “somehow” – re God or nature itself – then Mary would have the option to either abort or not to abort. What reason could there possibly be that she doesn’t if in fact “somehow” she does?

Instead, because neither you nor I are privy to the explanation for how and why mindless non-living matter did evolve into mindful living matter on Earth, we are both ensnared in the surreal nature of these exchanges. Surreal in that neither philosophers nor scientists have been able to determine if in fact we do have free will.

We could dream about exchanging assessments of free will…then wake up and realize that “reality” was created entirely by our brains chemically and neurologically. But what about the waking world reality? How do we establish unequivocally that this either is or is not autonomous?

Right. And in asserting this, that makes it true. When, in fact, you have no capacity even to pin down this distinction in your own brain. Can Mary start to think [about anything] of her own free will or is she compelled to think about only that which she was never able not to think of?

Do we opt to note the distinction between determinism and fatalism…fatalistically or deterministically?

And – click – how preposterous is it to insist that science has nothing to do with exploring this distinction itself!!

I’m grappling to make sense of a world in which we seem to have no definitive manner in which to know for certain if our explanations are in fact of our own volition or not.

And, more specifically on this thread, how those who call themselves compatibilists are able to reconcile Mary unable to not abort Jane with her still being morally responsible for doing so. How do they make a distinction between determinism and fatalism?

Link me to them. On this thread. And, sure, some here may provide arguments. But – click – that doesn’t mean they will make sense to me.

Huh?

First there’s the astounding vastness [and mystery] of the universe itself: youtu.be/m2YJ7aR25P0

Then there’s all the speculation about a “multiverse”…an infinite number of universes some suggest. Then there’s the simply staggering mystery of why something exists at all. And why this something?

And you’re asking me to provide reasons for what I think about Mary’s abortion…reasons that can pass scrutiny? Run by whom?

lol That is always such an important question to ask our self.

Our Nietzschean Future
Paul O’Mahoney considers the awful fate Nietzsche predicts for humanity.

Again, however, how far is he going with Nietzsche and determinism?

To wit…

"Here, the conviction that a human being cannot realistically be held accountable for their actions is the norm. This would be a world in which there is no longer any concept of criminal responsibility. No longer would blame or merit be possible. The task confronting humanity as a whole is to wrestle with and reckon with the consequences of this new conventional wisdom. There are good reasons to believe that humanity, confronted with this refutation of its most cherished and sustaining illusions, would ultimately destroy itself."

Think this through as I do…

If we cannot be held accountable for our actions, and our actions are a result of what we think and feel, then how is the task confronting humanity not the same thing? We carry out the task but we are not accountable – responsible – for doing that either. And did the author and Nietzsche bring determinism all the way back to themselves? The author wrote this article and Nietzsche wrote those aphorisms only because they were never able not to? And we are reading them because we were never able not to?

The quandary at the heart of it all?

Yeah, it can always work both ways. Despair because we must. But because we must despair it comes back to the illusion of despair. The matter that is my brain compels me to despair. But it’s all embedded in the mystery of my mind itself. I despair in my dreams. It’s all a chemical and a neurological despair. I’m sound asleep, not really feeling despair at all as I might in the waking world. But what of that despair in the waking world? Is that too all just the brain doing its thing in a wholly, totally inevitable world?

That’s the part I can never untangle in my head. That’s the part I can never be absolutely certain is a bona fide option for me.

Again, the part where the author imagines this somehow in sync with a world “where human beings cannot realistically be held accountable for their actions”…a world where “no longer would blame or merit be possible.”

Okay, an individual becomes one of the Übermensch…or an individual becomes one of the Last Men. So what? He can no longer embrace the merit of one or accept the blame for the other because merit and blame themselves are but inherent manifestations of the only possible world.

His perception is wrong.

Who said it was not the same thing?

So what’s your point? Man has been developing and all along his will has never been free, and man will continue to develop while having no free will.

Yea it’s doing its thing. Despair often comes from deep sadness which causes chemical and neurological changes. Chemical and neurological changes don’t cause despair. Despair causes chemical and neurological changes.

What’s to untangle? Dreams are an acting out of what is going on in the waking world. I’ve read that dreams are meant to help resolve our conflicts and fears. Everything is in the brain, but dreaming and wakefulness are two different states. We can’t be blamed for dreaming and we can’t be blamed for choices that we have no control over not choosing.

The reason he can no longer embrace the merit of one or accept the blame for the other is because they won’t be part and parcel of everyday life. Most compliments are given because there is so much blame. When blame is no longer part of the environment, neither will praise be chased after. Showing appreciation for a person’s accomplishments will still exist, but people will do things from an intrinsic desire to fulfill their hopes and dreams, not to get an external reward.

Sam Ruhmkorff
Hard Determinism

Hard determinism? Or, rather, free will determinism?

Or, okay, sure, it’s actually my own inability to wrap my head around compatibilism.

As though what people perceive as incentives they were free to opt not to perceive as incentives. After all, if “people who do good or bad things couldn’t have done something differently” than how do they manage to perceive things…other than as they must in turn? Aren’t our perceptions also compelled by brains wholly in sync with the laws of matter? We do what we do because of what we first perceive and then think about. But how are the reasons we come up with “to create an incentive structure that will determine [us] to act in the ways that we want” not embedded in Schopenhauer’s conjectures about wanting things being wholly in sync with wanting what we want. The brain sets up all of the dominoes such that everything that we think and feel and say and do topple over on cue. What we sense, what we perceive, what we reason, what we do.

And around and around the free will determinists go. We’re not free but “somehow” when we want things we are. We’re not free but “somehow” we “work towards things happening the way we want them”. We’re not free but “somehow” when we make decisions and praise and blame others we are.

Iambiguous: And around and around the free will determinists go. We’re not free but “somehow” when we want things we are.

Peacegirl: Wanting things doesn’t give us free will.

Iambiguous: We’re not free but “somehow” we “work towards things happening the way we want them”. We’re not free but “somehow” when we make decisions and praise and blame others we are.

Peacegirl: We are not free, never were, and never will be. Making decisions and praising and blaming others doesn’t change this fact.