Difficultly understanding what "token" means

I’m reading a paper on nominalism and realism and I’m quickly noticing that I have a pretty poor understanding of philosophy.

In the paper the author is saying that “when ‘so and so’ affirms nominalism he tokens a total brain state”.

Even if that sentence doesn’t make sense cut out of its context, could someone help me understand what “token” means?
I think I understand the difference between type and token. Type being a general occurrence or example… and token being a particular occurrence.
But in the above sentence what does “Token” mean? Or… what does it mean to say ‘so and so’ tokens X??

Thanks for any help!

dictionary.reference.com/browse/token

(I don’t think he believes that a total brain state can be known)

-Imp

There are a couple of different versions of identity theory. A universalist would say that minds and brains are of the same type of thing. This would be a type/type identity theory. Because we’d probably be talking about functional roles in that case, because they both act according to the same functional roles and what not, there’s sameness, and thus universalism. But if we look only at the differences, or if we look at the distinctions between two minds, or between a mind and a brain, and assert that they aren’t really the same, but we’re just going to say that they are for our own purposes, then as nominalists we’d be using a token/token, or a type/token identity theory. Types are universals, tokens are particulars.

Is that Quine you’re reading?