Directions

You take a left at that traffic light, I said,

pointing ahead to the traffic light.

Then go about 3 blocks,
past the church,
and take a right on Sunset.
Stay on Sunset for about a mile,
and take a left at the elementary school.
Go one block past the convenience store,
then bear left just past the bus stop.
You’ll see it from there.
There’ll be a big sign.
You can’t miss it.

You nodded,
pulled away,
and stopped at the traffic light.

And took a right.

I thought I saw you smiling.

LOL Just to get to the last two lines! The perfect conclusion to advice given. The only thing that troubles me, is that I can’t seem to extricate myself from behind the wheel… :unamused:

We are often guilty of dispensing advice as if we know what we are talking about and so are an irrefutable authority but fail to implement the very advice we volutarily dispense to others into our own actions.

It’s probably incidental, but notice how rainey’s poem begins and ends with two one-line stanza. There’s probably nothing significant in this chosen format of the poem, but I did, nonetheless, notice it. Like the silence between notes is just as important as the notes that are struck in a piece of music, so the same goes for the blank spaces between words, lines and stanzas of a poem. I think the fact that rainey chose --whether conscious or not of this action is irrelevent-- to set these lines off as stanzas in and of themselves is an important component to the overall tone and meaning of the poem beyond just the words used and any symbolic/metaphorical association conveyed thru the text.

N.

N.