Do vegetables know what they are?

I’m not sorry either.

Yes yes yes! And yes! Some of my best moments have been like the conversation that I was having with Delightful Soul. Not profound, not clever…just silly and childish and sweet. And in those moments, I’m happiest.

Did you know that that arend(t) means eagle in Afrikaans?

A

‘Just be’, huh? I took a sociology course on that once. We read Michel Serres and smoked weed. No wait! Scratch that!.. We didn’t read any Michel Serres… :slight_smile:

Just be. Just be. Just be. Free. Like me. Can’t you see? I think it’s amazing how much you can learn in life just by rhyming words. Rhyming words and listening to Billy Joel. (‘I don’t want clever conversation, I never want to work that hard…mmm-m-m-m-mmm… I just want someone that I can talk to - I want you just the way you are.’) You know I can almost imagine Gamer singing that.

Anyhoo, give this one a look if you’re interested;

http://www.federationpress.com.au/bookstore/book.asp?isbn=186287431X

The kind of seriousness you will find with these two authors is different from the quasi-aesthetic variety you have apparently come to dislike.

Whether relational logics have some sort of ontological ‘primacy’ - or perhaps merely a kind of dialogical ‘equivalence’, remains an open question for mine.* The authors seem content in maintaining the latter (they’ve read Hegel!). You will see Serres do the same, here;

*Pertinent to the definition of ‘just be’.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/2080135716/qid=1134039129/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-1827320-4339035?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Another author whom may be of use is David Steindl-Rast. For instance this;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0809126281/ref=sib_dp_pop_toc/103-1827320-4339035?_encoding=UTF8&p=S007#reader-link

He says pleasant things like;

“Life is not giving or taking, but give and take… It is the dynamic expression of universal belonging.”

Also, if you look at the index, you will see a nice single-sentence summary of each chapter. The first one begins with the words;

“That you have not yet died is not sufficient proof that you are alive.”

I also take this opportunity to re-recommend Giorgio Agamben - specifically ‘Man and Open’. [edit - ‘The Open: Man and Animal’]

Regards,

James

I know exactly what I am, I’m an egg-plant. Why do you ask?

MRJ
p.s.: I hate vegetarians.

Firstly, that’s not a very nice way to enter a converstation, saying you hate vegetarians. And secondly, I didn’t ask what kind of vegetable you are. Most of us around here know we are actually people. :unamused:

A

I figured that you were talking about a “no-mind” state. Vegetables have no mind and in the ideal Zen state neither would people. The person with no-mind would not be bothered by being compared to a vegetable as they would be beyond self-esteem and all that.

Is that what you were getting at?

No Ad. But just in case you missed it…

Besides, there is no such thing as ‘no mind’. Only a mind that doesn’t run off in it’s own direction and is aligned with Truth. Za Zen!

A

Wow! What a rational post.

Oh God, Ad calling me rational. I obviously need to sort myself out.

I’ll be back with the most irrational post I can muster. For consistency you understand…

A

Ok, that was another rational post!

Good job!

Soon we will be talking about atheism and existential horror like old buddies.

Hello F(r)iends,

Vegetables are not self-aware. That’s just stupid. :slight_smile:

In case they are self aware, I would like them to know that I like crushing them with my teeth into a fine paste, then I like to send them through my digestive track where I steal their essence so that I may live, and then when I’ve had my way with them I get rid of them like some piece of shit…

Vegetables know how to be delicious. Their their cousins are way hotter and more delicious. Nothing like a sexy fruit… I enjoy raping fruit of its innocence as I pluck them from trees. Sometimes, just for fun, I destroy their offspring with chemical death (salt). It’s a real holocaust.

-Thirst4ViolenceAgainstVeggies

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought –
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!’
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

• Lewis Caroll

A

Hello F(r)iends,

Jabberwock and Jubjub go well with carrots…

-ThirstWithTheJawsThatBite

Lewis Caroll:

Notorious pedophile.

Back to square one?

“Call any Vegetable” (lyrics and music- Frank Zappa)

Call any vegetable
Call it by name
You’ve gotta call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
The vegetable will respond to you
La la la la
La la la la

Call any vegetable
Pick up your phone
Think of a vegetable
Lonely at home
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
La la la la
La la la la
Rutabaga, rutabaga, rutabaga, rutabaga, rutaba…

No one will know
If you don’t want to let them know
No one will know
’less it’s you that might tell them so
Call and they’ll come to you
Smiling and covered with dew
Vegetable dream
Vegetable dream
Vegetable dream of responding to you
Standing there shiny and proud by your side
Holding your joint while the neighbors decide
Why is a vegetable something to hide
To hide, to hide, to hide,…

Shooo, shooo, shoo, shoo …
You know a lot of people don’t bother about there friends in the vegetable kingdom. they, they think: what can I say? some times they think: where can I go?
Where can I go to get my poodle clipped in burbank?
At ralph’s vegetarian poodle clippin’, where you can come this…
Where can I go to get organic vaseline for my ? ? ? ?
At bob and ray’s swaheli restorant, where you can come this close…
Where can I go to get my jeans embroided at fullurton? …
At jeans, at jeans north where nothing fits
Where can I go to get my zipper repaired in hollywood?
Who gives the fuck anyway
Where can I go to get my speakers fixed?
Where can I go to get my exit lights? ,
At jack lalane hamburgers on 312 woodier(? ) boulavard.
Where can I go to get my stomach pumped?
Where can I go to colapse
Hey, de-due.

Questions, questions, questions, flooding into the mind of the concerned young person today. ah, but it’s a great time to be alive ladies and gentlemen. and that’s the theme of our program for tonight, it’s so fucking great to be alive!, boys and girls. and I wanna tell ya, if there is anybody here who doesn’t believe that it is fucking great to be alive, I wish that they go now, because this show will only bring them down so much… ]

God bless america
Land that I love
Call any vegetable
Call it by name
You’ve gotta call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
Oh, that the vegetable will respond to you

And if you are a consenting adult we want you to call today in los angeles, the number is richmond9-6935 , in downey it’s 347-8932.

Call it direct,
Call it collect,
But call it today.

The “vegetable” is obviously a metaphor for the modern american mentality, image, and lifestyle. The song is very funny to hear because there is some great satire in it.

Hello F(r)iends,

Be Patriotic! Eat a vegetable.

-Thirst

Humans are not self-aware. That’s just stupid. :smiley:

In case they are self aware, I would like them to know that “I” (the communal assemblage called Capitalism) like crushing them with my ideological forumulations into a fast-moving, molecules desiring units, then I like to send them through my means-of-production track where I steal their surplus-value so that I may live, and then when I’ve had my way with them I get rid of them like some piece of shit…

Dunamis-for-desiring-subjectivities

Phew!

A

I’m not sure if cannibalism is the answer, but agression is a step in the right direction, Thirst.

Hello F(r)iends,

All the better to let human nature run its course. Survival of the fittest, natural selection, evolution… all tied back in to Capitalism–where the strong get stronger, the rich get richer, and the fit get fitter…

Just as vegetables MUST be eaten, people must be crushed by Capitalism… It’s natural.

-Thirst4PATRIOTISM