Do you have philosophical problems?

For my next reply. Concerning the interpretation of the Bible; as any other work of literature, unless the author specifies, all works of literature must first be interpreted literally. This then is my personal approach to interpreting scripture; first I read the entire text, (book or chapter) to try to understand the flow. Next, I decide, does the text make literal sense? If it does, then that is how I interpret it. There are many passages in the Bible that have both literal and symbolic interpretations. For example, in John 10: 9, Jesus said he was the door. The first thing I see is a literal word door, but is Jesus literally a door? Of course not, but he is using it as a symbol of the entry into heaven. To understand the symbolic meaning, the literal meaning must be understood, otherwise we have confusion. Therefore, in Genesis 1, the word day must interpreted literally, otherwise we are clueless to the meaning of the word YOM(day) in its text. To begin with anything other than a literal interpretation could very commit a gross injustice to the author. :smiley: