Does space go on forever?

i don’t agree with that tese
it’s equivocation
nothing as you mean it either is or is not something
can nothing exist could also mean can no thing exist, which is directly the question we’re wondering about. if yes, it would just mean it’s theoretically possible for the universe not to have existed.
conversely, if nothing can’t exist, and nothing can be taken as being something, that could mean that other somethings which aren’t nothing can exist, just not that particular something.

but i guess if the explanation for existence revolves around a deconstruction of nothing, the answer is that the idea of no-thing is an idea of no thing within a container or context in which something, perhaps a certain type of thing, would be expected. such as ‘i have nothing in my hand’, which necessitates the existence of a hand. if you take the concept of no-thing and universalize it, the outside context is you, that which would be observing, or is imagining, nothing, or perhaps that which you are imagining in order to contrast to its would-be non-existence.

i guess in the end you’re sorta right: the idea of nothing is just another thing existence - which is eternal - makes up…

I don’t think that you’ve solved anything, you’ve simply presented a paradox that’s as old as Aristotle and then asserted that ‘energy’ is a nothingness…

ok well, no one here can prove the existing of what you call no-thing

i therefor choose to belive totaly in what i have written untill proven othervice

but tell me are you really not seeing that nothing cant exist because it is the definition of the word non existence, if nothing were, no-thing, no-exictense, it would not have time, it would sipply not appear, except in the humans dictonary

edit: inhahe thx, good reading =D>

Of course not, it’s a contradiction in terms. Nothing(ness) does not exist. Of course it doesn’t. That’s nothing(ness)'s whole vibe, to not exist. In fact the Wittgenstein in me is tempted to say that the word ‘nothing(ness)’ is nonsensical as it has no referent, empirical or conceptual.

Re-read my post, I’ve no problem with the paradox as such, my real issue is that you’ve just tacked on a conclusion without arguing for it in the slightest. Continue to believe what you’ve written all you like, that alone doesn’t make it correct…

Like I said, the paradox itself is ancient and as far as I’m concerned either a nonsense or just insoluble…

I remain unconvinced of your conclusion regarding energy…

Thank you for proving that the universe do not expand.
The distance of a galaxy is directly proportional with the difference in time. That difference in time is the time light gets from that galaxy to here. The sensation of the galaxy moving away is becouse it is moving away, but not in space only in time.

The main reason for the expanding universe theory is to satisfy an idea of creation. the universe is forever and endless. Even if you are afraid of the dark.

What if matter repells something to the edge of matters energies.

What if the matter you exsist in contains the side effect of space and time.

No. It is a velocity. dx/dt. I is moving wrt space.

A better question is, is the velocity more due to the time, or the space distance from us? (What has happened in the intervening time in terms of acceleration?)

In any case, I’d be most dissapointed if space didn’t go forever. A giant glass wall would be depressingly anticlimactic.

To me, the answer is quite simple. Space itself as we know it, may not go on forever but existence definately does. I am a ferm believer that even nothing is something. Therefore, space must go on infinately because if there was an end to space, there MUST be something outside of it. People may argue that outside of space is nothing, but what is nothing? People define nothing as having no mass, gravity, energy, up or down etc… So lets say that space has an end, and that outside of space is nothing as defined previously. There is still empty space there, which is something and therefore exists. Therefore existence goes on forever.

The universe has no boundaries.

The universe cannot have boundaries. At any point in space, there will be a distance farther to travel.

Clever mathematicians have figured out how a finite universe could have no boundaries.

Personally I feel that the universe is infinite.

Kermit Rose < kermit@polaris.net >

NO! YES! No? Yes?
Define space and forever!

If you keep going, in what you think is a straight line, yes you can go on forever.
If you built it, they will come!
If you go there, it will be!

There is no matter or energy without space and time.
There is no space and time without matter and energy.
There is no matter without energy and vice versa.

Space id infinite in that it folds into itself as its own negation. Of itself it is only difference. It simply occurs, it has no existential consistency.

If you don’t mind, I would like to twist this question a bit! Even if you mind!

There are escape velocities of planets, stars, galaxies.
What is the escape velocity of the universe?
Wouldn’t be surprised if it equals the speed of light.

Ummm… “escape” from what?

It is the speed needed to “break free” from the gravitational attraction of a massive body.

Can you imagine that there is no gravitational and also no other attraction?

If you exist at all, you ARE “the universe” in part.
At what velocity can one escape himself? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

This is still best attempt I have come across in grappling with space and time and infinity.

It is from Bryan Magee’s book Confessions of a Philosopher

time

For a period of two to three years between the ages of nine and twelve I was in thrall to puzzlement about time. I would lie awake in bed at night in the dark thinking something along the following lines. I know there was a day before yesterday, and a day before that and a day before that and so on…Before everyday there must have been a day before. So it must be possible to go back like that for ever and ever and ever…Yet is it? The idea of going back for ever and ever was something I could not get hold of: it seemed impossible. So perhaps, after all, there must have been a beginning somewhere. But if there was a beginning, what had been going on before that? Well, obviously, nothing—nothing at all—otherwise it could not be the beginning. But if there was nothing, how could anything have got started? What could it have come from? Time wouldn’t just pop into existence—bingo!–out of nothing, and start going, all by itself. Nothing is nothing, not anything. So the idea of a beginning was unimaginable, which somehow made it seem impossible too. The upshot was that it seemed to be impossible for time to have had a beginning and impossible not for it to have had a beginning.

I must be missing something here, I came to think. There are only these two alternatives so one of them must be right. They can’t both be impossible. So I would switch my concentration from one to the other, and then when it had exhausted itself, back again, trying to figure out where I had gone wrong; but I never discovered.

space

I realized a similar problem existed with regard to space. I remember myself as a London evacuee in Market Harborough—I must have been ten or eleven at the time—lying on my back in the grass in a park and tryhing to penetrate a cloudless blue sky with my eyes and thinking something like this" "If I went straight up into the sky, and kept on going in a straight line, why wouldn’t I be able to just keep on going for ever and ever and ever? But that’s impossible. Why isn’t it possible? Surely, eventually, I’d have to come to some sort of end. But why? If I bumped up against something eventually, wouldn’t that have to be something in space? And if it was in space wouldn’t there have to be something on the other side of it if only more space? On the other hand, if there was no limit, endless space couldn’t just be, anymore than endless time could.

This indicates that our thinking is wrong or incomplete. There is something beyond the concepts of beginnings, ends and boundaries.

Phil27of79

That’s a very good question, I think. Not sure I know the answer to it though. :laughing:
I’m not so sure that space and time affect us as much as the matter which we are is the cause and affect of space and time according to our perceptions and sensations.

See, that’s why I never come in here.

Insofar as space going on forever? How can we know that? But I think not. Just as we do not go on forever, I don’t think space does either. If there was a beginning - even though where it began boggles my mind - there must be an end.

No? (scratches head).

Escape velocity:
To leave planet Earth, an escape velocity of 11.2 km/s is required.
A speed of 42.1 km/s is required to escape the Sun’s gravity (and exit the Solar System) from the same position.