Dualisitic Theism

Recently I have been thinking about the kind of dualistic theism presented by the teachings of Zoroaster. He presents a theology of two morally opposed deities. He presents a god of good and a god of evil. This explains why we live in a world that has such a mixture of good and evil. This certainly gives a different answer to the problem of good and evil.

There is some modern Christian play on this theme in the idea of a spiritual warfare between Jesus and. Satan. However, these are uneven competitors.

The idea of an even match between a god of evil and a god of good presents a more interesting conflict.

What if the source of both good and evil is a supernatural force?

It could explain why evil sometimes prospers. Those who do wicked deeds are being supported by Anghra Mainyu (aka Ahriman) the god of evil.

It makes a bit more sense why humans could have free will. Both gods influence mankind, one to do good the other to do wickedness. Or both gods hold most of their direct influence in check from each other, leaving human beings to decide.

Thoughts?

This coincides with my idea, that altough we are born individuals, are longing for that oneness which we were before. Before there was good and bad there was no good and bad. But whole our reality is built up out of yes/no. Doesn’t quantum mechanics brakes it all down to equations? To be or not to be. Go left or right could be matter of life and dead. Following the steps which leads to surviving, certain behaviour get adapted or not.
And the latest product of mother nature is us, when the moment we are born are left outside alone, free from mother to make a life, were he can make his yes and no’s.

Some behaviour gets rewarded and some not. Living live is about making choices, which can be broken down to yes/no and good/bad. Before that, there wan’t such thing.

What an interesting concept!

The ying and the yang of deity!

I will say this, if there are two opposing gods, I think the good one is winning!

I think your president Saakasvjvili is battling between these two sides now. He started as a good guy, but politics make people nasty. The goals superseeds the means. If Saakasvjvili can stay out of corruption, and solve his problems on a non-violent way, I will take it as sign the things could be better.

Is “Saakasvjvili” Zoroastrian?

Or Sakashvili?

Yes, the president of that country which is near where Zoroaster lived.
My reply was a bit of a forced link between the topic and what Jub Jub posted. Just to get this topic going :wink: .

Tuihu, I think JubJub might be an american which means he is from Georgia the home of CNN, not Georgia, the one time territory of the USSR in the Cuacuasus(sp?). I dont think he is a Parsee either (Sakashvilii that is), which is the name of the last remaining followers of Zoroastrianism. As far as I remember their are only about 10,000 left and they live either in Iran or Pakistan or another country in that general region.

Tuihu wrote
“I think your president Saakasvjvili is battling between these two sides now. He started as a good guy, but politics make people nasty. The goals superseeds the means. If Saakasvjvili can stay out of corruption, and solve his problems on a non-violent way, I will take it as sign the things could be better.”

It is a good point. I remember feeling a bit of admiration for Sakashvilii when he ousted that would be tyrant who had ruled the prior ten years there. I cant think of his name now unfortunately.

The goals are definately beginning to become secondary to the means now from what Ive heard, which admitedly is not a great deal, but from what I understand one of his largest problems he faces is the break away province in the northwest of the country that refuses to submit to a centralized government. The last I heard was that both sides are refusing to give in and that war is imminent, with the U.S.A. supporting Georgia and Russia behind the break away province (I dont know what it is called if you hadnt figured that out yet)
And it is all about oil, and democracy. Probably more about oil because western interests are building a major pipeline across Georgia as we speak/write. U.S soldiers are currently stationed there helping to retrain and upgrade the Georgian militaries capabilities to a modern standard.

I hope you are right about Sakishvili, and that he does make the “right” decision, as oppossed to the “left” one. God protects the right while the left is open to the devil. It’s an old superstition.

Xanderman wrote:
“The idea of an even match between a god of evil and a god of good presents a more interesting conflict.”

The Zoroastrians may have conceived of the dichotomy of good and evil as a more even match than modern Christianity does, but they also beleived in an eventual apocolypse or war between Ahriman and Ahura Mazda which would result in the final destruction of Ahriman, which in the end is uneven. But I do agree that their conception of this duality was more urgent than what the average Christian believes.

“What if the source of both good and evil is a supernatural force?”

What if that supernatural force is just an unconcious aspect of man. It is a potency of choice itself. Some people are more malicious than others becuase they choose to be, and vice versa, for those that choose more of a benevolent attitude. It kind of follows along the lines as to why I have always despised Marilyn Manson. With the influence and talent he has why not do something good for the world, but then he wouldnt be rich, or famous, because people wouldnt be shocked by his antics.

“It could explain why evil sometimes prospers. Those who do wicked deeds are being supported by Anghra Mainyu (aka Ahriman) the god of evil.”

Again I think it is more of a human psychological concern, and it has nothing to do with supernatural forces, although at one time in history the majority of people belived it was “in Gods hands”

I like the thought but ultimately I think it is more fable than reality.