Easier life: Atheists or Christians

Statements declaiming something as disordered do not preclude other actions being disordered as well.

As for the supposed advantages of this activity, I suspect red wine will have the same effects – and much more pleasantly. :-({|= :D/

Sure they can if your discussing them. No rule to that effect.

Hey you edited!!! Hard to quote if you edit.

But red wine same effect? Well sense wines make me sick to my stomach…I dooont think so.

You can’t drink wine? You must live a miserable existence.
Listen to some good music? :-({|=

This is a religious mandate for me.
Bible says in OT, “God gave man wine to gladden the heart.”
And St Paul advises Timothy, “Drink some wine, it is good for the stoma.”

Actually, I think you get some of those health benefits from red grape juice. Can you stomach that?

LOL actually no I cant. Believe me my heart is happy and I am not stressed.

You´re on about worry and fear, which is different from value. Christians may well see this life as an important prelude, but to atheists this is all we have.

So you never masterbate do you? Your loss. Do you scratch itches? Indulge in anything which is not strictly necessary? I bet you do. I guess you´re not acting in your own (above described) interest. Gosh, what did I just say?! Withdraw that prescription - who I am to tell you what´s in your best interest?! It´s funny how people so easily unknowingly stray from negative to positive freedom.

If the individual and his/her society were mutually independant, then it may be possible to clearly delinieate where the theist begins and the athiest ends. As it is, all in western global society share in the beliefs afforded us by our secular society with its Judeo-Christian roots.

The most fervent athiests often appear to be motivated more byaconstant and active rejection of the ‘fear of hell meme’, for example, and likewise the most fervent fundamentlist Christian “doth protest too much” as well for one to not susupect that they are not plagued with the doubts that all have as a result of being raised in a secular milieu.

Nietzche points this out. If self-professed Christians really did completely believe in the wrathful, vindictive God of Scripture who has the will and the power to make their eternities a living hell, we really would be living among a nation of priests.

But we do not. As often as not, the lives of thiest and athiest are indistinguishable.

And if we athiests, secularists, and free spirits really were all so far removed from our Christian roots, would the morals of our post-Christian secular societies be so characterized by a hyper-Christian ‘cult of victim’ ethic? Would the guilt feelings for exploiting the world thorugh our imperialism and consumerism be so prominent a negative motivator in our speech and our action and our politics?

For the will to power is after all written in our very nature. To be true to our natures, what really would need to be justified is not the excesses of our power, but the restraints we put upon that will.

Contrarily, in reality for athiest and thiest alike, this is the exception rather than the rule.

Really, in many ways, the ideals of athiesm are just a continuance of the ways of the Protestant Reformation, where many strive to become more moral and puritan in their lives than those who came befofe. It is not that the rejected values of the Christians for many athiests are too moralistic, but that they are not pure enough.

What would be ‘better’ would to truly be a free spirit who instincitively and consciously strives to aggrandize health and power and vigor according to his/her nature with joy, and without guilt.
And such a better life is avaiable to any of us, independant of whether or not God is a part of our world view.

One day, not so long ago, I was talking with my 80 something year old mother and she stated that her life would probably have been a lot easier for her if she believed in some sort of religion.

As it is, she said, I must live with all the decisions I made in my life, all my actions, every day. It would be much easier if I just believed in god or jesus or someone who could explain it all away and grant me forgiveness but I cannot. It would not be honest. I would feel that I have betrayed myself. I would feel like a thief or something. Everything I have done is me, to deny any part of that would just be lying.

I have never found a better justification for atheism, either before or since.

Very nice. Reminds me of Emerson…

I think the key issue to understand is merely the question of which holds truth to a person, everything else is unapplicable. You cannot objectively look at the criteria and say which has a harder or easier life. A believer has a much easier time when they accept God, whereas a non-believer is simply better of discarding the idea and working on that premise. Thinking about which one is easier on a tabula rasa of a person’s beliefs seems to beg for an answer of preference based on ease, not personal truth.

Myself, I have found it a lot more difficult reconciling beliefs in God with beliefs outside of faith. I personally developed much of who I was before I came to faith so I developed an atheistic lifestyle THEN added God, which poses problems. I am sure it will become clearer over time but it would be easier for me to regect God, but based on what I understand that would be ignorance. The easiest path is not always the right one, parsimony is a tool towards truth but not the deciding factor.

I am going with women having the easiest lives… :laughing:

Can I have option C please?