Evolutionary psychology

There is evolving and devolving. What is the difference? - direction of the changing. Devolving is much much more prevalent (as the universe demonstrates). The US for example evolved into a large powerful capitalist state and is now devolving toward the lower communistic state. The direction is not the cause of the changing - change is caused - the direction is circumstantial.

And gravity is not actually an attraction - different subject. :smiley:

Yeah I see it. But who’s claiming organisms are selected FOR their adaptive traits? Can you give some specific examples from what I’ve posted on this thread?

Yes, my main example is…

Wait for it…

Evolutionary psychology.
All of it.
Every example.
Every page of every book of Pinker.

If that’s true in general then you should have no problem showing how Pinker claims evolution selects FOR a particular trait. To claim that he does without showing it is an empty argument.

One way to strengthen an evolutionary explanation is to show that it’s logic is obeyed generally. If women are choosy about sex because they can have fewer children than men by virtue of investing more in them and females in the animal kingdom generally can have fewer offspring than males then female animals in general should be choosier than males. Turns out that’s usually the case. Evolutionary theories can generate falsifiable predictions as good scientific theories are expected to do even though evolutionary biologists don’t have the luxury of rerunning evolution in their labs with some of its variables controlled and predicting the outcome.

What is the difference between “selecting” and “selecting for”? :-k

You do know that men and women chose bad mates all the time?
You do know that some people chose not to have kids at all ?
Despite these counter selective processes, the human race persists with no trouble.

Everything that needed to be said about Natural Selection was completed in the first 50 years after Darwin. The rest is just career building verbage.
Evolutionary theory shows very clearly how we evolved from simple slime, to complex mammals. It offeres broad brushstrokes, and taxonomic trees. There is no way to unpick the complexity of human behaviour and to promote traits and reason FOR them. Teleology is the false consciousness of NS, and harms the way people think about it.

Dawkins once observed that human obsession with teleology might be due to the fact that we are now brought up in fully artificial surroundings, in which there is a specified purpose for all items that a new born child comes in contact with. Our domestic environments are totally safe and for everything there is a function. Young people grow into the idea that the whole would is a thing for their use and consumption, and so they also look for purpose in the rest of the universe. It takes the effort of thinking to unpack that assumption, and some people never do.

Then it seems the word “selection” shouldn’t be used - “selection” implies an intentional choice - “selecting one option over another” (when in reality - considering the physics - there was no other).

Perhaps - “Natural Outcome” - not “Natural Selection”.

He [Sculptor] called the expression elegant but I beg to differ. It’s pretty bad actually.

His entire point seems to be no more than this:

The difference between the two positions is better expressed as:

1. natural selection selects traits that belong to fit organisms (regardless of how they impact the fitness of the organism to which they belong)

2. natural selection selects positive traits i.e. traits that have a positive impact on the fitness of the organism to which they belong

Fitness is to be understood as the total number of children an organism will have during its lifetime. And a positive trait is to be understoid as a trait the possession of which increases how many children an organism will have.

He’s saying (1) is true but (2) is false and that EP believes in (2).

That is essentially correct.
But the two phrases are borrowed from Fodor and Palimentari’w “What Darwin got Wrong”.
Your version of statement one is not correct since NS does not select FOR any traits at all. NS works by life or death. Whatever individuals live that have viable progeny is what is actually selected. Nature makes no direct reference to ANY specific trait. Its all about reproduction and survival. And any individuals that fail to have viable progeny are not “selected” no matter what traits they have.
The key word here is “FOR”- NS is not a purposeful or goal oriented system yet EP persistently makes that sort of claim for traits.

Here’s how functionalists prefer to articulate.
I use this as an extreme example, since the fucntion of kindeys is obvious and well known
The Kidney was not designed. The kidney has a function, but has no purpose. Whilst it is true that we would all die without a kidney that is not a warrent for claiming that the purpose of a kidney it the excretion of nitrogenous waste, the balance of salts and water in the blood; whilst those are certainly functions of the kidney, it is an abuse of langauge to suggest that having a kidney is a trait that nature has selected. Because there is a subtle but important difference between saying such things as the kidney is designed to x,y,z or the purpose of the kidney is to x,y,z.
It is true to say that invividual with kidneys have survived (ie selected), it is wrong to say that Natural Selection selected kidneys as such.
Now, when it comes to more esoteric behaviours that EP likes to make pronouncements on such as the absurd example of “road rage”, it becomes a bit of a joke. Because you can use just about any driving strategy and relate it to being a hunter/gatherer, even people that are scared of driving or being a passenger right the way to Formula One drivers.
The process is always the same. EP is asked about a trait and then just makes up shit about how some unknowble situtaion in the past “must have” given us this trait. These are called “just so” stories in the fantasy fiction section and are about as real and Aesop’s Fables.
The fact is that there is NO empirical basis form making EP claims since the viccicitudes of the selection process can date back billions of years, and focus not on specific instances but on the infintiely variable push and shive of survival and environmental change.

Yes I agree that “selection” like so many other words used have variable meanings.
I think the reason Darwin used this word is that his work started by examining “Domestic Selection” of farm animals and pets, which insights gave his the idea of how similar changes in genealogy were achieved naturally. Where man chose for the look of the chicken, dog, or cow for what he saw as favourable features; nature’s criteria is ONLY survival.
In his terms “natural” implies non-intentional. And in 1859 that was much less ambiguous than it seems to be now,
The trouble for the religiously inclined or those that find it hard to accept the word “selection” and other examples of bad langauge in evolutionary thought such as “purpose” and “for”, all conspire for people to misunderstand what NS is - misunderstand either willfully, stupidly or unconsiously.
The question as to whether evolution is teleological should not be any kind of question.
Our language is mired in telos, because that is the way we are brought up. It can be hard to avoid and a constant struggle to unpack absurd assumptions even in people so revered as Steve fucking Pinker, and Daniel dipshit Dennet, who ought to know better.
But the linguaistic contortions to describe this stuff without ambiguous teleology is hard. Looking above I see that my phrase; “nature’s criteria is ONLY survival.”, could be misconstrued.
Maybe “nature’s determiniation is ONLY survival.”?

“Outcome”. :smiley:

How about “the process of something that is not necessarily human determining (or causing) how many times any given organism will reproduce during its lifetime”?

That something is called “nature”. The process of determination (or causation) is called “selection”. Hence, natural selection.

Isn’t it easier to just use a different word than to try to educate everyone on the nuance intentions (that they always get wrong)?

I think people will willfully and ignorantly persist in getting it wrong.
I think science has given up pandering to fools.
But generally I agree, but sadly I am not in control of the lexicon of evolutionary theory.

Just read some.
He’s been off topic for quite a while. He’s recently been obsession about “human nature” and tabula rasa, so I had to trawl back quite far for him to show himself ignoring the massive cultural, historical and personal variation in sexuality to make this “just so” pronouncements @ 2: 20FF in this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=hjJAwbc5IaE

Steve Jones is more restrained and reasonable. In fact all the other speakers are far more rational on the subject.

And of course Jonathan Miller is a fucking genius.

What Pinker does on this issue and on every issue is to simply ignore the complexity of human nature and just focus on survival nd reproductive success which is NOT the main concern of people in ordinary life.
If things don’t seem to work for a trait he plays his “mismatch” card. Always he allows his theory to drive his statements, and never allows for the variety and the possibility that most traits are selectively neutral.

But even Jonathan Miller falls into the trap is “selected for”, rather than selected by, when he talks about schitzophrenics being misplaced because their brains were selected “for” small groups.

Most of the problem is with our langauge as we have been discussing. Maybe Pinker is a bit Aspergers?? Many of the successful academics I have known were.

Thanks for the video, sculptor! I started watching it in dribs and drabs when I have a moment. I’ll comment when I’m finished.

Don’t bother. I can’t hold my breath that long, and you answer is most likely to be a pile of shit, since you cannot even articulate your own belief in god.

Wow I didn’t know you were holding your breath. The mind and human behavior are products of evolution. So it’s a matter of how evolution produced the mind and human behavior and how to proceed researching the matter. The people who conversed with Steven Pinker in the discussion you posted we’re not nearly as dismissive of his propositions as you are. Nor were they hostile.

The generalism is known.
The rest is idle speculation. Genetic evidence is unreliable from more than a few thousand years. And humans’ behaviour is far less determined by evolution than any known species. That is what makes us a unique species.