Exercise

Exercising does not need to be an act of fear or aggression. When I was in school, I did Taekwondo. My father recommended it to me after he found out I’d been fighting frequently at school.

When I did this, without consciously realizing it, I was feeding my fear. I was getting into the cycle of seeing the world as an enemy which I needed to defend myself from.

In the past, the world was dangerous for man, and the fear my father constantly tried to instill in me through violence would have been incredibly valuable. Under the circumstances, my father would have been respected by others for what he did to me.

Shit went wrong because he was training me to fight invisible enemies. My father is paranoid, so he was training me against his own distorted conception of the world.

Exercise can be an act of love, for the self. When one is healthy, one is closely attached to life. one can flourish, think clearly, feel strongly, problem solve effectively, enjoy the process of living.

It ought be strived for, if one has good intent (love) for oneself.

The intent is crucial to the success / failure of this effort. Fear or love.

Your instructors must have been of a bad mindset. I took it with my son. It was more about self control mind and body then it was about defense.

If one is going to take Tae Kwon Do, they should take a course in Buddhism or Taoism also merely to balance the passions issue (that’s what I did anyway). From the Shaolin perspective, Tae Known Do students are terribly sloppy with no effort to correct them. You end up faster, calmer, and stronger.

Watch the calm… until he decides to move… then… lightening…
I never met anyone, master or student that could escape my “special” sidekick.
But until it was time to strike, I probably looked like I was falling asleep.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqM75eGR98k[/youtube]

Which one do you think could have kept that up all night long without breaking a sweat? :sunglasses:

My instructor was very good and I still respect him. He taught me control over my mind and body, and gave me a completely different perspective than my father had.

After learning from my instructor, I realized how wrong I’d been in the past and blamed myself. From that point on, I denied my past self, and tried to become someone completely different. I didn’t continue Tae Kwon Do because I didn’t have the respect for myself to continue. The only thing that motivated me before hand was defense - strength.

The problem was within me, not my instructor.

Thanks for the tip, James.

If I ever get back into martial arts, I’ll be sure to widen the scope of my training.

Before I exercise I pace back and forth until I reach a state of pure rage. I think fighting is a form of bonding, physical fighting that is; I’m scared of verbal confrontations my intellect notwithstanding. I simply don’t have the patience to let it develop on its own. So I go where the fundamental ideas are ridiculously beyond my current level of education, but I throw in an ignorant comment here and there and praise everyone, appealing to their most base desires of flattery. And so I belong to that group of timid beings such as myself, some educated some not, some with potential some with the potential of a codfish.

Knowledge is a tool to a greater cause. The building blocks to new theoretical or physical inventions. If one’s aspirations are extroverted and intended to build upon what currently exists, one must first understand what already exists.

If one struggles internally, they ought have priorities far closer to home than seeking to build upon structures centuries in the making.

If one’s drowning, they needn’t devote their energy towards engineering or quantum mechanics, but rather to getting one’s head above the water for good. If one pulls their head above water, and sees others doing interesting things, one should not try to participate. Let it inspire one’s hope for the future, but keep in perspective the struggles of the present. Direct the inspiration to the present. Future achievements will come in time.

One must first resolve conflict within themselves before they can resolve conflict beyond themselves.

Sorry, my last comment was out of line. I was mocking someone you may have known in a similar thread. But, your responce does make me wonder. Perhaps, he needs the support of a community of like minded people more than anything right now, he’s like a cat who’s been let in from the cold…

Exercise is good, regardless of the mindset, the feelings. It is exercise for it’s own sake. The pre figured ideas, the judgements, the anger, directed inward or outward is usually absolved , the excercise mitigating the conflict between presumed l insight, and it’s overt expression. regardless of the proximity toward bringing realisation and it’s objective into sharper focus., it takes practice not to generate negativity and turn it positive in spite of facing odds to enhance such an endeavour. The negative works both ways, as a condition of it’s own regulation, and similarly, as an extension of it’s externalization.

Letting go of this is useful to all levels of knowledge.