Explanations on english language

Hi guys, how are you? I am Greek and I am learning english. Now and then I find things that I don’t understand apsolutely. Can you help me?
For example we say that one of the uses of “Simple Present” is when we want to express premeditated future actions. For example here is a sentence: “We go on tour next week. We start at 8 p.m. on Monday, we have lunch in Lamia and we arrive in Salonika late at night”.
But there is a but. We use “Present Continous” for exactly the same thing. That is when we want to express that an action has been programmed and is going to happen in the near future. For example: “George is flying to Salonika next week”.
So, when do we use “Simple Present” and when “Present Continous”?

welcome to the boards

this should help:

owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ … tense.html

-Imp

Sorry but I haven’t understood what does the above site that you have proposed to me. Can you explain it to me? Could it be that I can send them my question and they will answer me for free? Am I being silly? Thanks.

The simple present merely uses the present tense of the verb. “I go.” “You go.” “We go.” etc. One can use this for actions that are happening now or for actions that we do normally. “On Tuesdays I go to the store.” Or, as you say “premeditated future actions.” “We go on tour next week.”

Using “is” with the verb is making it no longer “simple.” “Is” is acting as a helping verb to make the structure more complex. You can say, “I am going,” which means you are in the process of going right now. Or, you can say, “We are going on tour next week,” which is not much different from, “We go on tour next week,” except that the “are going” construction seems to emphasize a one time event while the “go” construction seems to indicate something which is regularly done, like we always go on tour at this time.

The past tense is easier to explain. First person simple past is “I went.” and the compound form is “I have gone.” Of course that is complicated because it is an irregular verb. A regular verb would be like “walk.” Simple past in the first person would be “I walk,” and compound past, or past participle, would be “I have walked.” They can both be used interchangibly. One is just a little more concise than the other. And, in the present, “is” or one of its forms, takes the place of “have” as the helping verb, as in "as in “is going.” But one can also say “was gone.”

Well, if you understand all this. Perhaps you can explain it to me. I’m all confused.

bis bald,

Nick

Thank you nick… whatever your name isjavascript:emoticon(‘:)’)
If I have understood correctly you said that “we go on tour next week” is almost the same with “We are going on tour next week” and the only difference is that with Simple Present we express that the action will happen constantly while in the Present Continous the action will happen just once. Yes, but the sentence “We go on tour next week” contains the phrase “next week”, so I think this means that the action will happen only once. So, again I can’t understand what is the difference between Simple Present and Present Continous in such occassions. Could it be that there is no difference?

I can’t make sense of what is an online writting center. :cry: Can you tell me?

I think that page on verb tenses does a better job than I do at explaining things you asked about verbs.

Keep working on it. Learning a new language this way is hard. It’s more fun to go find a girl who only speaks English and try to flirt with her. :wink:

bis bald,

Nick

It would be a good idea but I think I am more than a reader than a listener :slight_smile:
However this page doesn’t contain anything on Present Continous. Am I wrong?

Ouuuu…Excuse me Nick, I read your previous message again and I understand what you wanted to say.