Falklands Remains British

Democracy tend to suffer from low turn out.

In a recent poll asking Islanders if they wish to stay under British rule, there was a quite high turnout.

Here’s the result.
Falkland Islands sovereignty referendum, 2013
“Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?”
Results
Yes or no Votes Percentage
Yes 1,513 99.80%
No 3 0.20%
Invalid 2 0.13%
or blank votes
Total votes 1,518 100.00%

Voter turnout 92.00%

I don’t know but I think 92% turnout in a fair and free referendum must be some kind of record. So too must be the very high proportion of yes votes. Do you think that this result is unprecedented since the dawn of democracy.
These are the sort of results that only Korea can get.

I think you’ll find that in Iraq under Saddam the electorate were forced to vote and his was the only name on the ballot so he regularly got between 99 and 100% electoral support.

Being under constant threat of armed invasion by a much larger foreign neigbouring power with a history of instability, fascist dictatorships and terrible human rights abuses, who describe you as squatters on land you have owned and farmed for 9 generations, would probably concentrate anyone’s minds.

If the Falkland Islanders are squatters on land that doesn’t belong to them, then surely the Argentinians are too? After all, unlike the Falklands, Argentina was actually inhabited before the Europeans arrived.

That’s why I used the phrase fair and free.

Yes, true enough I think. In fact the history is that the British took it off the Spaniards and so it was never part of Argentina.

Interestingly enough 3 people out of over 1500 voted not to further UK rule. I wonder if they misread the ballot?

There are probably always a few who accidentally vote for the opposite thing than they intended. 3 out of 1500 actually sounds very low.

A suicide-artist liberal here would interject stuff about British Imperialism, how the UK goaded Argentina into the war, and how the Queen is fascist… and then go into a long winded rant about the British Commonwealth.

Fuck… I hope the Argentina Communist Party liberates the Falklands, and unionized the penguins on King George islands, and make them ratify the Kyoto Protocol and stop oil drilling and the Pitcairn Islands, and berate the penguins for not recycling, because litter is the cause of solar storms and social unrest in the third world… because… because… no fucking real reason. However, that’s never stopped people from just bawling out crying everytime someone does something as if the world is going to end, and the Brits in this thread are way too easy on the whole situation.

What about the Welsh ranchers in Argentina, don’t they have a inherent right to just like… say fuck England and claim the Falklands because they are shitheaded and feel like it? That’s the heart of liberalism… why not, I think they have as good as a claim as any these days for historical grievances and a assertion of humanitarian rights and stuff that sounds really good when spun.

I really do think the Falklands should stay put, I know the way the war went movement by movement, had it first described to me by a guy who was there, and then read into it back to it’s early colonial days… but I’ll be damned if I gotta agree with the most backwards people on this forum on this topic. Maia and Siatd are by default always wrong… and to see them become suddenly reasonable sends shivers down my spine. Means something is wrong with this situation.

Power and nothing else has determined ownership of the Falklands.
By saying this I do not mean that it should be Argentina’s. The islands have a sloppy history and the whole way countries get possession of things is fairly absurd and has very little to do with morals.

True enough - for all possessions in all lands.

But right now it would be the height of absurdity to expect Falklanders all to accept the leadership of a country not long democratic.
The only question remains is how long can the UK support their moral position, in the absence of any help or encouragement from the country claiming to have a special relationship with them, despite the UK standing side-by side with them in several conflicts.