Fallacies and ethical transgressions.

I think there is another realm of fallacies which aren’t really explored. That is- they’re like fallacies but they have to do with action more than argument. They’re not -criminal laws- because criminal law is motivated by politics, not only ethics. They’re ethical transgressions, if that’s appropriate.

Anyone let me know if I’m beating a dead horse and we see where philosophy has covered this ground. I assumed it’s not prevalant enough because it’s not included in the Taxonomy of Fallacies, (fallacyfiles.org) or given a mention to such concepts through that site.

Here’s one prime example.

In Hell’s Kitchen you’ll see the head chef cursing and yelling for everyone to perform. He delegates the work.

At the end of a night, he evaluates performance, and looks at the ultimate result.

This I call: Subordinate Responsability.

I consider this a fallacy in action because he’s the one -ultimately responsable in delegating- (he has team leaders, but his power can eclipse theirs at a whim) and he -evaluates the end result- which can only mean he’s evaluating his -own- work rather than someone else’s. He could, say, crack the whip and then evaluate the general performance, but accept the responsability for the end result. Or he could, say, ignore all their mistakes, then look at the end result and spit on all of their actions. Those two would be logically acceptable. Employers use this kind of reasoning all the time. They take control, and evaluate the result as the subordinate’s responsability. Edit: This is basically creating a double standard. “You are held responsable for the result, and yet you must do what I tell you. So how can you be held responsable?”

This I call: Surprise Trial.

A subordinate is taken to explain themselves mid-work. This is useful when the matter is urgent. It’s unnecessary when the matter can be dealt with effectively later. If you need to court martial someone after the fact of battle, fine. Don’t pick them up and put them on a line of questioning mid-battle. Edit: This is the exploit of a person that wants to manipulate another by catching them offguard. Saying “Reason your defense immediately! Your position in work may depend on it.” before saying, “I charge you and allow you to prepare for trial.”

I like it.

I am one of those people who tend to wonder what gave the chef absolute authority over others to begin with.

I’m glad someone was into this, Joker.

Anyone, let me know if you want me to better explain.