Family Values

This might sound icy cold, but I wonder why a person should feel obligated to love his or her family members?
The common elements are flesh, blood, genes, and similar looks and brain chemistry, etc…
And, what if I think a family member is morally wrong? What if these family members heighten evil in the world? Would I, part of the family, be contributing evil, indirectly?
I feel like most people in the modernized, developed world inherent love, but for no particular socially, sound reason, as if it’s some sort of survival instinct for the continuum for our human species.
Love is supposed to be cherished, I’d always thought, but because most people take love for granted, as of something inherently deserved, love appears to have a low potency for those in the developed world.
Should one be compassionate or empathetically love those with low capacity to love and lustful, evil desire?

What’s the logic or wisdom behind herd-like, family love?

Whatever floats your boat. I don’t see a herd like mentality, I see family love as commonplace and for more less viable good reasons. There are reasons not too of course.

family love is equivalent to commonplace?
Why call it love?

You share good things with friends, bad things with family. The word “family” is used to keep people in your life that you wouldn’t have kept in your life were they not your family. I think it’s an important question to ask about the family members you claim to love: if you knew them and they weren’t related to you, and treated you in the same way they treat you now, would you still love them? I think the answer is going to be “No” very, very frequently. Nearly 100% actually, if you’re being honest with yourself. A testament to the propaganda of the family. People use that word to justify horrendous acts. “But they’re my FAMILY, I love them.”

Mr. X, I agree with you.

Apart from flesh, blood, and genes, people value their common experiences. Families go through shit together. There can be something special about that.

Shared memories, both good and bad, are bonding, I agree. When people think about marriage they should think, not of sharing lives together, but of sharing memories together, imo.

But, while you can choose your spouse, you can’t choose your family.

When I read the op, I immediately thought of an on-line friend of mine about whom I’m spoken of here. He was born into a family that comprised several amoral people: his father and two brothers were totally amoral. Yet, as a child he loved and trusted them. His father taught all the boys how to make silencers for their weapons–W. was about 12 at the time, as I recall. His father would flout the law as a matter of practice and that’s what W. was taught. I don’t know how his father died (I was ousted from the site before I could ask;) one brother died in a ‘shoot-out’ with the police; one brother is serving a life sentence for murder. W. never ‘turned them in.’ To do so would have gone against his familial ‘love.’ As an adult, does he love them? I don’t think so. I think he has memories of ‘good times’ with them–and they were his ‘blood kin,’ so he accepts what they were and has made different choices.

It seems every time there’s an election on the horizon, the idea of "family values’ pops up. I guess it sounds all warm and fuzzy–kind of sheltering–so people get the idea that if the candidate has ‘family values,’ that’s how they’ll treat everyone, if they’re elected. Which is, of course, a bunch of BS–but people still fall for it.

There’s no real reason to love the people you don’t choose to love, because you didn’t choose to be a part of them. They may be ‘blood kin,’ but that’s not your fault. BTW, I’m one of six siblings–the youngest was adopted. I knew that brother better, and loved him more, than any of my blood sibs. He died two years ago and I still mourn his death.

No, why would you think they are equivalent? That isn’t logical, Grammatically commonplace is a descriptor in this ussage.