Favourite philosophical quotes

I was wondering what everyones favourite philosophical quotes are and who they were by.

Mine would have to be

“No genius is without and admixture of madness” - By Aristotle

In a man devoted to knowledge, pity seems almost ridiculous, like delicate hands on a cyclops. --Frieddy

Where the tree of Knowledge stands, there is always Paradise, thus sayeth the oldest and youngest serpents. --Frieddy again

when we say that man is responsible for himself, we do not mean that he is responsible only for his own individuality, but that he is responsible for all men. --J.P.

The buddha’s fire sermon is an excellent quote, rather long though…it can be summed up in: “ALL THINGS are on fire…with the fire of DESIRE.”

give me a theme and i’ll throw out some more quotes.

A man’s maturity consists in having found, once again, the seriousness he had as a child, at play.

Nietzsche

It is good to burn bridges; a man surrounded by water learns quickly to swim.

“There is nothing more complex than the concept of simplicity.” - A drunk guy on the street I met.

“The universe is easily explained by the IDIC. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.” ~ Spock

“Luminous Beings are we, not this crude matter.” ~ Jedi Master Yoda

“Consistency is the hobogoblin of the reasonable mind.” Emerson

The answer is that you ask too many questions.

“Beer is proof there is a God, and He wants us to be happy.”

• Ben Franklin

“An intelligent man is forced to drink to keep in the company of fools.”

• Ernest Hemmingway
  • BillWaltonSexUniversity
  • Nietzsche

On the subject of race,

“In race, it is not the broad shoulders, or litheness, or stature that give advantage, but a symmetry that reaches as far as to the wit.” … "How come such men as King Alfred,…Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Francis Bacon, to exist here? What made these delicate natures? Was it the air? Was it the sea? Was it the parentage? For it is certain that these men are samples of their contemporaries. The hearing ear is always found close to the speaking tongue; and no genius can long or often utter anything which is not invited and gladly entertained by men around him."

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
English Traits (1856)
Chapter IV
Race
English Traits Chpt. 4

"The philosopher is in love with truth, that is, not with the changing world of sensation, which is the object of opinion, but with the unchanging reality which is the object of knowledge. (Plato, 380BC)

“The solution of the problem of life is seen in the vanishing of the problem” - Ludwig Wittgenstein

“Esthetic experience is experience in its integrity.” - John Dewey

“Wit is educated insolence.” - Aristotle

LMAO at me being quoted along sided Nietzsche,Plato and Hemingway.

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.” Einstein

“i love every minute of the day” pete townshend
“you are it” alan watts
“follow your bliss” joseph campbell
“stop it!” bob newhart

This is going to be my last post in a long while. So I’m going to leave a quote by someone who took a big role in changing my life. The creator of Star Trek:

“We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.”

Gene Roddenberry

don’t forget to stop by the link in my banner once in a while.

‘Wonder is the foundation of all philosophy, inquiry the progress, ignorence the end’
Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
:laughing: