Favourite Quotes

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

"Truth sits upon the lips of dying men. "
-Matthew Arnold

A thousand million flies can’t be wrong EATshit.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease

Okay, brain, I don’t like you and you don’t like me. Let’s just
take this exam so I can get back to killing you with beer. … Homer Simpson

Trust Everybody, but cut the cards.

one of my favorite favorites
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
Plato

You get one life, dont fuck it up

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have,the less shit you have to eat
“Hell is the truth seen to late”

What a man says drunk, he has thought sober- Wilde

“Drunkenness reveals what Soberness Conceals”

Life is that brief interlude between nothingness and eternity

------ I have many more favorites… my hobby

Shitty of me … I forgot my Favorite…my friend told me this one

“Men spend 9 months in the womb and the rest of their lives trying to get back in”

Spoken truth

Like Clarice, I have a few by e.e. Cummings:

The poems “I thank you God for most this amazing day” and part of a poem that I don’t know the name of, but it’s such an inspring stanza:

deeds cannot dream what dreams can do
M’ time is a tree (this life one leaf)
but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough
e.e. Cummings

Another by Cummings is:
I like my body when it is with your body

Also:
Each man’s life is but a breath-Psalm 39:5

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man may lay down his life for his friends.-John 15:13

I have noted that persons with bad judgment are most insistent that we do what they think best.-Lionel Abel

Some of my favorite quotes:

1. Edgar Cayce
    The soul of each individual is a portion then of the whole, with the birthright of creative forces to become a co-creator… as that birthright is then manifested, growth ensues.

2)Adolf Hitler
The bigger the lie, the more people will believe in it.

3)Harry Houdini
We are so created that without something to wonder at we should find life scarcely worth living. That fact does not make ignorance bliss, or make it “folly to be wise.” For the wisest man never gets beyond the reach of novelty, nor can ever make it his boast that there is nothing he is ignorant of; on the contrary, the wiser he becomes the more clearly he sees how much there is of which he remains in ignorance. The more he knows, the more he will find to wonder at.

4)Samuel Johnson
All wonder, is the effect of novelty on ignorance.

5)Bruce Lee
It is the ego that stands rigidly against influences from the outside, and it is this “ego rigidy” that makes it impossible for us to accept everything that confronts us.

What’s your take?

Nice bit of poetry for anyone with end-of-era blues:

Come to me in the silence of the night;
Come in the speaking silence of a dream;
Come with soft rounded cheeks and eyes as bright
As sunlight on a stream;
Come back in tears,
O memory, hope, love of finished years

(“Echo”, Christina Rossetti)

ive got a few… most of them i don know who said em.

Sex without love is an empty experience, but, as empty experiences go, it’s one of the best.

You’ve got to be trusted by the people that you lie to.

If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s intolerance.

If you dont’t care where you are, then you aint lost.

The cost of living hasn’t affected its popularity.

Rene Descartes:
For it is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to apply it well.

“Attack life. It’s going to kill you anyway”

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:
“Genius is the infinite capacity for taking pains.”

‘i am the one and only - can’t take that away from me’

c. hawkes

don’t say i’m not profound

Hi! Olly :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: One that I like ;death is stronger than life.Love is stronger than death.

“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged
sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when
the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate
and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the
rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and
blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader
and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am
Caesar.”

–Julius W. Caesar

H. D. Thoreau: “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”

Ronald Cole: “Our defenses are more dangerous than our enemies.”

J. W. von Goethe: “The problem with abolishing God is that it leaves you alone with the devil.”

Carl Jung: “Religion is a defense against religious experience.”

Spinoza: “Freedom is the recognition of necessity.”

Bobby Fischer: “I don’t believe in psychology. I believe in good moves.”

George W(hat, me worry?) Bush: “I is the education president.”

Hi,

My list is always changing, but here’s a few of my current favorites:

“The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless.”

• Steven Weinberg

“Outside all notions of right and wrong there is a field - will you meet me there?”

• Rumi

“Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it.”

• Mark Twain

“The skilled archer must always aim slightly above the mark; for every arrow feels the pull of the earth.”

• ???

“When I want your opinion, I’ll rattle your cage!”

• ???

Olly already submitted this one, but here it is again since it’s such a great quote.
“The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.”

• Samuel Johnson

And basically anything said from “Wall Street”, “The Matrix”, or “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” is good.

One of my favorite quotes…
“But they that trust only to the authority of books, follow the blind blindly, are like him that trustingto the false rules of the master of Fence, ventures presumptuously upon an adversary, that either kills or disgraces him.”
~Thomas Hobbes

Favorite quotes from friends and relatives:

Nancy Rose: “God is an idea that keeps the truth alive for the spiritually unborn.”

Al Gallagher: “As our machines get better, we get worse.”

Steve Kristan: “We are free to choose our means, not our ends.”

My Mother: “Knowledge doesn’t matter; only belief makes a difference.”

My Father: “We gossip to compare ourselves favorably to others.”

My brother: “Rigidity masks confusion.”

“Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: “Mankind”. Basically, it’s made up of two separate words - “mank” and “ind”. What do these words mean ? It’s a mystery, and that’s why so is mankind”

• Jack Handey

“In times of war, we must prepare for peace. In times of peace, we must prepare for war.” Lead singer of Machinehead.

“I feel like a fucking goldfish in here” – applies to life in general doesn’t it.

“Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant of the enemy and yourself you are sure to be defeated in every battle.” _ Sun Tzu.

We are not cutting government expenditure, just reallocating money. – The Irish Government

Carlsberg ad : Mick MacCarthy “I’d never send a good player home but if I did he’d probably be the best player in the world”

“It’s the story of a woman on the morning of a war. Remind if you will exactly what we’re fighting for” Red Hot Chili Peppers

And true philosophy for you……

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece-suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarressment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your Future.
Choose Life.

Hey, did you know that fuck is in the dictionary of Microsoft Word so next time some smart ass tells you it’s a “bad word” because it’s in the dictionary, tell them they’re fucking idiots and don’t know what they’re talking about.

I know loads more but just need time for them to come to the front of my mind. Naturally enough any quote from the Simpsons or Bush is quaranteed to be a classic.

Btw, can anyone explain the link in this poster?!?! :
No to War
No to Nice
No to American terrorism

Something I say during a conversation with a friend, that led to the friend informing me of the value of what I had just said. So I decided to share my own unnoticed words of wisdom…

“I would rather live a life with pain of knowing the truth, than to live a life with pain of knowing the lies.” ~Magius

Samuel Johnson once said: “All wonder, is the effect of novelty on ignorance.”