Free yourself from 'The Man'

Before I address the real matter this thread is going to face, I want to get you all thinking. So, I am going to ask, are you truly free? I myself would consider most Philosophers to be either free or atleast have the ability to free them selves. When I say free I mean are your morals and your beliefs yours or have they been planted in our head by ‘the man’?

Well, because it is exceedingly difficult to know where your belief or morals have come from, and because I doubt that anyone has really or really is just a creation of “the man”, and additionally because the man is an over generalization of something that you are conceiving in your head, and because I don’t know what you are thinking because you have not fully stated what that is I cannot answer your question.

As for freedom, there are a couple of directions to appraoch it from. If you believe in God, you are only as free as you think God allows you to be, because He is the Lord after all. If you struggle with money and hate your job you are nothing but an indentured servant to your current state of financial being. If you take the question in light of a more metaphysical inquiry you will eventually run into the wall of the human condition. What is possible, within ones mind and within the mores of society. I think in order to be free one has to be a bit of a beast.

I am totally free, and running wild across the fields of philosophy. All you have to do is read my posts, and you will find that I have totally rebuilt the entire universe from the Bang upwards. Plus there was no Bang anyway.

“There is nothing original under the sun” -unknown

A cat is made of cadbury’s cream eggs! - Me.

So now you think a cat is made of Cadbury’s cream eggs?

Or did I have to put Unknown at the end to fool you?

I don’t think I’m absolutely free… there are things I want to do, but forbidden by the law or the moral. So it’d cost me too much to try my freedom at all in the real life, that’s why I have to restrict my wishes if they are above the normal borders.
Although, noone could forbid man’s dreams and thoughts. Man is absolutely free there, and more - it happens everything we wish that could happen in the real life. So finally: we are not totally free in the real life, but we can roam in the infinity in our minds.

Some very interesting thoughts. But are our beliefs based on what weve been told or our own experiences? What about someone thats never smoked. We are all told its bad for us. But how do we know until we experience it ourselves?

Freedom of the will is a pseudoconcept invented by the 18th century aristocracy as a means of keeping the ruled arguing amongst themselves.

Think about it - there will never be a working class uprising if they are so obsessed with individual freedom that they cannot unite without entailing massive contradictions and conflicts, will they?

Thats real nice but its not what i was talking about. Thats the problem with a philosophers forum :unamused: We all have our own interesting points we want to address. Theres no way two philosophers can realisiticly explain their beliefs in the Socratic method.

Do you honestly feel anything you have posted here, or in fact anything you have ever thought of or done has not been done first, by someone else?
Lol.
I have seen a hundred just like you, and 50 of them did it better.

There is nothing new, only new ways to work within the framework.

What if the framework changes though? In other words… what would be your answer to the question of ‘new’ scientfic things. For instance, the discovery of the quantum field… or something like that?

I still use the words new, and original to describe some of the latest gadgets. If we use these words, and we speak the English language, are you not contradicting the English language?

I mean, what do you set as your word ‘original’ Atoms can be blasted together to form new molecules. Don’t these materials count as new?

What about God 2? If he exists, is he new? Will he create new things, not from atoms?

I suppose that originality is down to your own definition.

Gobbo’s right to ask this. A more simple example is that most theoretical frameworks are expressed in language, which continually shifts and changes.

And the rest are expressed in…??

arsize=59[/size]t

Other forms, usually visual, such as diagrams