Freewill and Selfishness?

Generic Definition:

1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one’s own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others2: arising from concern with one’s own welfare or advantage in disregard of others 3: being an actively replicating repetitive sequence of nucleic acid that serves no known function ; also : being genetic material solely concerned with its own replication
— self·ish·ly adverb
— self·ish·ness noun

Cynically Interesting proposal:
SELFISH, adj.
Devoid of consideration for the selfishness of others

I would like to discuss Freewill and its implications, desire, happiness–and how these things effect our understanding of selfishness.

I would also like to see others thoughts while I continue to mull and redefine my own, I believe other reply’s may help organize this incoherent mess of my entangling mental arguments.

Thoughts. . . ? [-o<

It’s your own free will to act selfish.

‘Free-will’ is the ‘belief’ that one is a god, or (more often) the god.
If I proposed the inanity of the notion of ‘free-will’, the air will fill with howls of riteous indignation (threatened ego) and beaver dung! And a few brave and insightful (and good looking) souls in agreement…
I ain’t gonna play, I got clean clothes.
Happy trails.

I did not start this thread for any kind of unreasonable indignation towards deterministic opinion. You don’t have to state your opinion-- just as you did not have to post a comment to begin with-- but I most certainly appreciate any reply I get.

Here is a thought:

Do a search on “free will” or “freewill” and read through some threads that come up.

Then bump them if you are interested in other people’s thoughts. If you want to start your own discussion, then do so at your leisure.

But if you start your own discussion, be prepared to bring something substantial to the table or you will be wasting other peoples’ time.

I’m not indignant in the least. You are projecting!
Your assertion of ‘unreasonable’ is premature at best. Can you logically support your assertion (‘knee-jerk reaction’) using ‘reason and logic’? Or does simply dismissing another Perspective work for you?
As this is a public forum, I certainly will state my opinion which is as valid as any, despite your inability to deal with it or the discomfort it might bring to your ‘beliefs’/ego.
And your first lines highlight your last line as a lie.

Your ‘response’ is exactly what I was talking about. You make my point nicely. (Steps over the beaver dung.)
Thank you.
Carry on.

You can’t be speaking to me, Dalek…
heh… i guess not…

Maybe I’ll help kick the discussion into gear? Maybe a few questions?

Do we only do things for our own happiness?
Consider the level that our replicators influence our behaviors with no metaphorical concern for our happiness.
Also consider whether such ultimate causes of behavior are even relevant to our proximate interests.

What does it mean to have free will?

Can freewill be bound by necessity? Can freewill be deterred by consequence or guilt?

And What about selfishness? Does intent imply selfishness? If a mother loves her child, is it because it makes her happy to do so, thus she continues seemingly self-sacrificing altruism or rather does the intent derived from her critical faculty determine the behaviors meaning?

If we have unconscious desires for self serving behaviors but conscious magnanimous desires for those same behaviors, does it even matter, for arnt we defined by the brain which is me or you and every part of it, whether conscious or otherwise. Does the intent of our critical faculty transcend the rest of the brain rendering us innocent from the less righteous parts?

There seems to be a misunderstanding or perhaps a error of mine in which I apologize. I am not going to condemn someone for there beliefs in freewill or their beliefs against it. For the question is still up for grabs in the philosophical or scientific community.

I am not asking what the concepts imply, just wanted to get some opinions. In the future I will be less vague, but honestly do you have to imply an unnecessary insubstantial quality to my post? I don’t think its that time wasting to gather an opinion before I state my thoughts.

I merely think that you should be forthright with it next time…

well if you put it that way, that may have avoided the minor textual confrontation :slight_smile:

I’ve never understood the meaning of the term “free will”. I can understand determinism and randomness, and mixtures thereof, but I can’t imagine a third way.

Can you imagine God choosing to create the world?

Yes, but how does that help?

Well such a choice doesn’t seem to be pre-determined by any previous material state, since God is not material, and it is also not random in the sense that it is a calculated-understanding decision. That seems to me to be the way to make something like free will intelligible.

:laughing:

How does talking metaphisical guff help?

I’m not following, can you clarify?

Well such a choice doesn’t seem to be pre-determined by any previous material state, since God is not material, and it is also not random in the sense that it is a calculated-understanding decision. That seems to me to be the way to make something like free will intelligible.
[/quote]
How does talking metaphisical guff help?
[/quote]
I’m not following, can you clarify?
[/quote]
Neither is the great JUJU of the mountain or Tooth Ferry.