Futurism.

m-w.com/dictionary/Futurism

Why is that? Why isn’t the meaning and fulfillment of life not found in the past or present?

Evolution goes in all directions and is not confined in one specific narrow one.

In evolution it is possible that by going forward in the future we can come to the same original place that we started from.

You’re right, meaning is found in the past, present, and future, in terms of evolution. This ‘Futurism’ sounds corny.

Indeed futurism does sound absurd yet what a contradiction of existence that we have since modern science and philosophy along with government revolves around such a concept. :slight_smile:

Have you ever heard of the term “market equilibrium”, Realunoriginal?

Check it out here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_equilibrium

It is another absurdity of futurism that you can find in all modernized governments and market economies.

( It is basically the secular version of heaven on earth in the future.)

Isn’t the act of finding temporally based? Even if we find meaning by studying records of the past, isn’t that meaning necessarily in the future from the point of departure of our studies. If something is discovered, there is knowledge at the end that wasn’t there at the beginning. So, no matter my undertaking, I can expect the future to yield knowledge, meaning, etc. Seems reasonable to me.

By assuming the future to be more knowledgeable or better we create a duality in the sphere of history that was never there to begin with which goes against everything in which relativity is understood to be.

We give some objective meaning to life on a future scale that in reality isn’t there.

( That is where metaphysics and traditional religon comes into.)

Did you read this,Carleas?

I suppose I didn’t understand it. What do you mean by “evolution goes in all directions”? How many temporal directions are there? It seems we only go forward in time. How, then, would we know if evolution goes both ways.

My basic point is that, tomorrow, we will be able to look back on today, but today we can’t look forward to tomorrow in the same way. In that sense, we know more tomorrow, we have more under out belts. I think that’s where the futurist mentality comes from.

The future.
Evolution and entropy.
Mutually exclusive but all encompassing.

I agree that futurism is a concept that has taken ahold of the mass mind set. Its the classic return to paradise that is promised to us through time saving devices. If we are willing to sacrafice for temporal achievements, we will enter the golden age of leisure and pleasure pursuits, or so we are lead to believe. Secure more time, as if living were a video game, and you will be granted a bonus life, perhaps even bionic.

Joker, if you really are intrigued by futurism, I suggest Time Wars, by Jeremy Rifkin. That ought to add some more ammo to your arsenal.

That is precisely what this thread is all about! :slight_smile:

You got me severely intrigued. :slight_smile:

That book will be on the top of my priorities searching through books at the library.

Just so you know, i found a copy at my library but I liked it so much i bought it. It might be out of print, but you can still find it on the net. Its probably my favorite non-fiction book.

This reminds me of one website I stumbled across recently called the Immortality Institute. Basically a bunch of technophiles and deathphobes putting their faith in technology and supplementation to “hopefully” extend their lifespans enough so they can be alive for theoretical innovations like nanotechnology and the like. Then, with further technologies, their lifespans will be indefinitely expanded by becoming cyborgs(or something) and integrating our biological bodies with machines. Just by reading their message boards, you can tell many have already taken a drink of the kool-aid.

One of the most dominant forms of thought in modern/postmodern economicism, philosophy and science today is scientific materialism which advocates this type of thinking.

It basically is a religious secular technocracy which even alot of self proclaimed atheists cling onto.

( I plan on making a thread on the subject today. Look for it in the philosophy section.)

I’ll definately look for it. ( Don’t you hate it when books go out of print? :confused: )

Yes, its what I like to call the medical savior model. Many people take stock in it.

The metaphor I like to use when addressing those people is driving in a car at an outrageous speed. Sure you can see what’s ahead of you, but when you look outside the passenger window, its a blur. Basically its a race to the moon, while people back home die of starvation.
Progress, I feel should not leaps foward, when overlooking the side step ramifications.

Yes, joker, i hate books out of print, especially when those books should be at the forefront of any dinner table discussion. In the case of this book, it talks not just of spacial politcs, such as bigger is better, but of temporal politics, such as faster is more efficient.

I am so blatant to say that progress doesn’t exist beyond the dreaming or dreamer of it.

I look at progress as a sort of opium that tries to stave off existential fear much like it’s objective religious predecessors from the past.

Basically during the early 19th century unto the present we have seen a social shift of religious behavior where the once great objective religions of fictional gods have transformed themselves into a secular technocracy through scientifical materialism where the coined expression of progress has become god like into idolized worship.

Sweet. You got me hooked onto this book. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to read it now.

I can see what you saying about being the dreamer of it, as I have followed much of what you have said on the subject of idealism. Tech has no doubt replaced religion in its save me aspect. Seriously i think you’ll love the book, as it confirms many of your notions on this matter. Enjoy the read.

I’ll definately get ahold of that book as it sounds right up my alley. :slight_smile:

It seems that there is no way to shake off the foundations of religion since in every historical era it seems to transform itself into new perceptions even though ironically it perpetuates virtually the same absurdities.

( By the way I am about to make a huge thread on scientifical materialism in the philosophy section which goes to great links in illustrating all of this. I would like your input.)

Technology has most definitely replaced religion in terms of adoration for modern man. Hell, ask your average atheist off the street and I bet he’ll put technology and science on the divine pedestal where God once was.