Ghost In The Shell

Funny isn’t it?

I may give Ergo Proxy another shot if I get bored enough.

In other related news, Code Geass was fucking awesome! I wish it had more futuristic elements in it. And it was a little childish than my tastes, but the adult concepts really dominated the series.

Code Geass was okay, but Evangelion, especially with the new tetralogy, towers over all other mecha or quasi-mecha series. Gasaraki had interesting concepts, Gunparade March was okay, Blue Gender was awful most of the time, MSG is classic as were most of the UC series, Eureka 7 blew from what I saw…but yeah, Evangelion takes the cake.

I’ll check it out, is it series or movie?

:open_mouth: [-o<

Neon Genesis: Evangelion is a series (as well as a manga) with two original movies (Death and Rebirth, and The End of Evangelion) to make up for the last episode or two where they ran out of budget. It is now being made into Rebuild of Evangelion, a tetralogy to Hideki Anno’s liking, “as [he] wanted it to be”, (as he was disappointed in how the series and movies turned out) " with the first three films providing new scenes, settings, and characters as well as newly available 3D CG technology and the fourth presenting a completely new conclusion to the story. Another stated intention of the series is for it to be more accessible to non-fans than the original TV series and films were."

The first two are out, the final two are expected fall of 2012. I have watched quite a bit of anime and Evangelion has been in my top 5 since I first saw it, but when I saw the first two installments of the Rebuild, I flipped. It is jaw dropping. I would suggest watching the series and two end movies (you have to watch Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion regardless) first in order to provide yourself a familiarity and to be able to appreciate the Rebuild more, but it’s not entirely necessary. It’s almost entirely necessary. Yeah, scratch that, it’s definitely necessary.

So long as you give it a chance (watch at least the first five episodes and you’ll watch the whole series), it will lovingly remove your brain from your skull and promptly fuck it six ways to Sunday…in a good way.

My proposed procedure is:
I)Rent or otherwise procure the 26 episode series, Death and Rebirth, The End of Evangelion, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone and Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance.
II)Call in sick and otherwise cancel all prior engagements.
III)Watch the material in the order presented in step “I)”, taking breaks where necessary to have a friend talk you down.
Notes:
Do not attempt to move for at least 30 minutes after The End of Evangelion as your brain needs time to recover.
Allow one day between The End of Evangelion and the Rebuild.
Let me know when/if you undertake this procedure so I can lend moral support. :smiley:

Woah. SAC Episode 7 (Idolater), when Togusa is staking out the Newport Hotel (when the Chief and whatnot are heading over there) you see a fancy white car pull up to the entrance. The first guy who leaves the car (gray hair, mustache) is identical to the guy with the active camouflage cloak and the machine gun with HV bullets in the first movie. Lazy, lazy.

This week-end, stand by for moral support.

Though I have to say, I started watching one of the movies once and the story line was so corny that I dropped it. (the kid who was abandoned by his father finds out he’s the only one who can pilot the gunda… er… Adam-thing? anyway, didn’t get too far into it.). I can take some corny, sometimes its even good in manga/anime, but this time I remember thinking that they were laying it too pretty thick.

Hell, just delve into a anime suggestion forum, I got plenty.

Yeah, Shinji is super lame in the beginning. Once you get past that, it’s all good. Honestly, just go for the movies. Do Death and Rebirth and then End of Evangelion, then you can go for the rebuild.

Edit: But that’s the thing. David Wallace points out how high art (as opposed to generic consumer art) is supposed to challenge the audience, to make them uncomfortable. You have to work for the pay-off and Evangelion, in my opinion, has a substantial pay-off.