God = paradox?

We usually think of God as an all seeing all knowing powerful being that can do anything and everything. So if this version of God know all and sees all, would it not be stuck to follow an already know future. It could never escape from what it already knew the future to be because it would already know the out come. Since it would be stuck following a predetermined future would it in turn not be in it self a never ending paradox, or is my logic just flawed? Also note, this is not what I believe, this is just a theory I have.

God can easily be argued out of any paradox by virtue of Her inexplicability. The paradox you propose assumes the nature of God is subject to human understanding, but according to scripture this is not the case. She is (rather conveniently) defined as beyond human logic, which means your logical paradox is meaningless. Sorry about that.

Considering that the God you presume I am talking about is the correct God. You also forget that to realize that those scriptures you are quoting are in fact written by humans, so if my logic is useless would not your scriptures also be useless?

Well, they’re not my scriptures, actually, but they tell me they’re divinely inspired and therefore infallible. It’s just the human interpretation that tends to cause the odd slight difficulty…

The term beyond human logic is a catch all for a lack of reasoning, in that we simply claim that reason is invalid when talking about God. If he is beyond all human logic then anything he does will never be fully understood and the ignostic position gains credibility. Can’t define God, don’t then talk about him in philosophical terms. Define God and you are a heretic. That is a catch-22, but it’s not a paradox, it’s just lazy. I’d read Job, it says basically that only God knows enough to judge himself.

God the ultimate trickster can get out of any problem he is after all infinitely clever. Divine revelation is the only means a Christian has to understand God, and that is controlled by dogma not reason.

Yes, I partly agree with your opinion of this, and suspect theologians often use the Inexplicability Trump Card to avoid having to deal more intellectually honestly with the great number of irrational, illogical and unreasonable claims of religion. On the other hand, if God does indeed exist as described by scripture and theology, then Her inexplicability isn’t just a theological cop out- it’s the truth. You pays your money…

On a general note, I strongly disagree with your suggestion that, since we cannot define God in comprehensible ways, we shouldn’t even bother to philosophise about Her. Contemplating the nature of God is a constantly absorbing recreation- from whichever side of the belief fence you happen to be sitting (or even if you’re on it)- despite, perhaps, being ultimately futile. Philosophers have been fascinated by the question for thousands of years so far, and don’t look like losing interest any time soon, despite it possibly failing to qualify as a proper paradox.

So the God of the bible is pretty much a tool to keep everyone in fear and under control. The more people try to glorify it, the weaker it begins to sound. First off if it knows all, why would it choose to create imperfect creations? That just doesn’t make any sense on any level. The polytheism of the ancient citizens of this planet make more sense and seem to be more valid that than the God in the bible, which is actually comprised of three parts. So which part is it that we cant understand? I can understand Jesus because he was a human. I don’t really know much about the holy ghost, and the Father just seems like he’s pissed off all the time for his own mistakes(being the creation of humans and the devil).

The Chaldean (?sp) council resolved trinity issues and lead eventually to the first schism of the church into Eastern orthodox and Catholicism.

Not amazingly pertinent but true nonetheless. Fact is Christianity can’t really deal with that, and are attacked by Jews for going against OT doctrine and claiming the Messiah has to be more than a prophet he must be part of God who is of course singular and indivisible. The Islamics are nonplussed by it as well.

They say it is like wine and water, they are separate but mixed. Where as some say they are discreet, it’s a matter of church opinion.

Yes, the imperfections in everything does seem to hi-light a flaw in the concept of orthodox religions.