GOP Doesn't Stand For GAY OPPOSITION PARTY

I’d like to give props to McCain’s top advisor in his campaign for this little ditty. I couldn’t agree more. The irony is in the comments from people, who play exactly into what he’s talking about without understanding his overall message. Do you agree, that on the current course, the GOP is in trouble? Will they be able to succeed without separating Christian morality from the GOP image?

foxnews.com/politics/2009/04 … ous-party/

The problem with the GOP is it doesn’t stand FOR anything.
The GOP is against Gay marriage
The GOP is against taxes
The GOP is against government
The GOP is against welfare
The GOP is against social security

The few things the GOP stands for:
freedom of choice (unless you want to marry your gay partner)
a strong military ( which means big government)
free enterprise(unless its bailing out big business)
People know best (unless its women and abortion)
pro-life (except in the case of capital punishment)
America (only if it means low taxes, low taxes before country)
Patriotism (hoping the president fails during a recession somehow doesn’t meet that definition)

The GOP platform is rife with contradictions.

Kropotkin

I actually-agree with Kropotkin here, as queer as that is… :open_mouth:

The Conservatives have lost their Moral Authority. And until they get it back, they sit dead in the water, sunken. :confusion-helpsos:

Form and Void: I actually-agree with Kropotkin here, as queer as that is… :open_mouth:

K: how the hell can I be a prophet in the wilderness, a Cassandra if you will, if anybody agrees with me. Jeez Louise,
don’t let anybody know about this. It could ruin what little reputation I have.

Kropotkin

The point of the article is that the GOP should separate itself from Christian morality…

In other words, Peter, the GOP shouldn’t HAVE the reputation of being against gay marriage.

I agree with you moresillystuff.

The GOP needs to cut themselves loose from Christianity and Sarah Palin if they want to survive.

If I had a voice in the GOP then I would just say to cutoff anybody who makes under 250k a year, and for people like Sarah Palin, kick them out to the curb.

Five years ago, the Dems were undergoing the same exact sort of identity crisis that the GOP is now - this is an entirely cyclical thing. The GOP still need social conservatives to win elections, and they will start winning elections again, before too long, irregardless of where they stand on the gay marriage issue, because, as we’ve seen in supposedly bluest of the blue California, people are still resistant to notion of same sex marriage, regardless of the rational reasons for allowing it. People don’t vote rationally, they vote based on emotion - now that the dems are in power, the emotional reaction will shift against them and people will start voting GOPers back into office - such are the ways of the 2 party system.

Yeah, the GOP will be back, social conservatives and all.

So true. No matter what either party aims for, each manages to shoot themselves in the foot, eventually.

uglypeoplefucking: Five years ago, the Dems were undergoing the same exact sort of identity crisis that the GOP is now - this is an entirely cyclical thing. The GOP still need social conservatives to win elections, and they will start winning elections again, before too long, irregardless of where they stand on the gay marriage issue, because, as we’ve seen in supposedly bluest of the blue California, people are still resistant to notion of same sex marriage, regardless of the rational reasons for allowing it. People don’t vote rationally, they vote based on emotion - now that the dems are in power, the emotional reaction will shift against them and people will start voting GOPers back into office - such are the ways of the 2 party system.
Yeah, the GOP will be back, social conservatives and all."

K: As I live in California, I can say that it was less about people voting as much as it was about the campaign that both sides
ran. The pro gay marriage people just assume they would win and ran a fairly bad campaign while the anti-gay marriage
ran a much better and I mean a much better campaign. Given the two campaigns, I was surprised the vote was as close as
it was. California has a couple of different parts to the state. Think of it this way, the closer to the ocean you get the
the more liberal it gets. the other aspect is the Latino and black vote when pretty strongly against gay marriage. Why? they
are the strongest church going element of California. so as usual the truth is more complicated then we like to think.

AS far as the GOP coming back, they have some issues. First of all, demographics are against them.
I believe the baby boomers as we age (I am one of them) will get more liberal instead of less. the issues that
are Germaine to the GOP don’t really work for the gen xers and younger crowd. For example, gay marriage. It is more
strongly supported the younger you go as the old people who won’t support it are dying off, gay marriage will pass
the next time around. Gun control is another example of demographics.The U.S is an urban country. There is no need for guns
to hunt because realistically how many people actually hunt? The other aspect that will change minds against guns is the
gun violence itself. The issues for now work against the GOP. It will take 2 maybe 3 election cycles for them to get going again
especially without a leader.

Kropotkin

well, i’m in no hurry to see a GOP resurgence - but time will tell … the further gay rights advance the more forceful the social conservative opposition will become - say what you want about the Cali election, the social cons ran a successful campaign and totally managed to confirm the prejudice in the public eye that gay rights advocates need to rely on “activist judges” in order to have any success. It doesn’t bode well.

But i’m a pessimist.

It isn’t just that, it is also that people get sick of the party in power. So all they have to do is wait it out. They can either reinvent themselves and hope to catch new voters (please, please, I hope they do this) or they can stay the same, wait six-to-eight years, and be back for a while.

yes, exactly - Dems and Reps - the dual six-year seasons of American politics