great discovery

I have discovered a wonderful buddhist forum, very active and interesting.

lioncity.net/buddhism

:smiley:

I’ve read a lot about Zen and as I recall one is not supposed to discuss buddhism. How can such a site be?

The Adlerian,

I didn’t know that one is not supposed to discuss Buddhism. Where do you get this information from? And how does one learn if not first on an intellectual level?

A

The Adlerian,

You are thinking of Zen Buddhism, which is a specific sect within Buddhism.(mixing Taoism and Buddhism) You can not speak of the Way- this is Taoist philosophy. It is common for Buddhists to discuss their philosophical/religious doctrine.

saintanthony9,

Please elaborate what you mean you cannot speak of the Way?

A

The first line of the Tao Te Ching:

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.

Ah yes indeed praxis, but this does not mean we cannot talk about it. It simply means that there are no words to describe it. This is not a law to by followed by the letter. But rather that if we want to know what the Tao is we have to walk the path and uncover it within ourselves.

A

I was only offering some explaination for Saintanthony9’s statement that you can not speak of the Way. As he says, It is common for Buddhists to discuss their philosophical/religious doctrine.

Thank you praxis. It would be better if saintanthony9 responded then we would know what he actually means. Yes I agree, it is common for Buddhists to discuss their doctrines…

A

Sorry about that.
I saw that the questions were being responded to and Praxis was summing it up pretty well.(read: I saw no need to be redundant)

When I said- “You can not speak of the Way”, i was indeed refering to- “The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.” among others if memory serves.

Right.

I was simply stating that Buddhism is commonly discussed, and the reference to Zen was clue to Taoism.(in TheAlderian’s responce to which I was initialy responding to)

Hope that clears it up a bit.