Have you seen 'I heart Huckabees'?

I just saw this movie last night and was completely intrigued (thats actually what prompted me to come here) and being a newbie I was just wondering what everyone who has seen it thought about it and the ideas/beliefs they talk about. Also, what exactly is extentialism?

Existentialism stresses freedom of choice for the individual to make of their life what they will. It is about the absurdity and unexplainable parts of life.

The movie came to me at the perfect time. I have been in a battle between “nihilisim”(belief that nothing matters) and the Buddhist-like ideas that everything is connected.

Reading Nietzsche, Kafka, and Dostoyevsky, I have been finding that I can never escape the human drama, and will be sucked back into pointless relationships, only to destruct them later to preserve this belief that nothing matters.

The movie touched on this alot, and finally made me realize that after going to the extreme with both philosophies, they both have their merits and must be balanced.

So we live in a world where nothing on the surface matters, and that most are trapped within, but even when escaping all of this and looking at things from Dustin Hoffman’s point of view, you can find peace of mind…but so many more questions lol.

Existentialism is a word loosely applied to a group running from Kierkegaard to Sartre. It contains a huge amount of diversity, no two of the big names agree on all the major points, which include whether or not there is such a thing as an individual, whether such an individual is or can be free, whether meaning is in the world or is created by the individuals being conscious of it…

Walter Kaufmann’s collection Existentialism from Dostoevsky to Sartre was very useful for me, and it contains some Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Rilke, Kafka, Jaspers, Heidegger, Sartre and Camus.

My copy was published by Meridian Books

four pages back is another post about this movie. I responded to that one but no one else did…oh well- so I’ll cut and paste what I had to say there, in here.

I’m not a philosopher by the way, I can’t even pretend to be (here it goes):

"I liked the film- saw it twice. I thought some parts of it were beautiful, me being a romantic and all, I got a little glassy eyed at the sentimental aspects. I’m no philosopher- which I make a point of reminding people here, but I’m interested in it somewhat…enough to appreciate it even though I don’t understand all of it.

I liked the idea that the Jason Swartzman character and the Jude Law character saw themselves in each other in the end, or saw each other’s pain. I liked when Jude Law had a break through or breakdown over himself- he thought he was so suave! The scene when he spits up on himself in the board room was perfect, the first time around I was shocked and disturbed in the way that I could relate to that kind of somatic thing. I was happy that Mark Walberg got the bonnet girl too, that was sweet how he arrived early because he rode his bike to the house- serendipity.

The Huckabee model/ bonnet girl reminded me of myself a little in that people were always patronizing her because she was cute. She lacked the knowledge to engage the process with the detectives in the way that some of the other characters did, but she was on board with it. She made her own statement and broke out of the cage everyone kept trying to put her in. She realized that being hot, having a successful trophy boyfriend and owning a jet ski isn’t going to make you happy…

I used to work at a hotel and one morning one of the regulars was hanging out at the front desk. He asked me if I was tired or something and then said “Damn girl, you look rough today!” I wasn’t wearing make up- I just simply wasn’t wearing make up, and I don’t look bad without make up! I’m 26 years old, it’s not about concealing anything… it was absurd and I thought to myself how shallow it was that I was just the candy behind the desk, an object… but I digress…

It was a good movie- I liked Eternal Sunshine too."

I saw it. I liked it. I found it light and funny. Mainiac if the dailogue in that movie intrigued you, and had you come here well, I’m banking your about to get sucked into a world of philosophy. Ohh the highs an lows you’ll have :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously the movie was a little flaky, and the philosophy was window dressing. I’m sure you will find having a real look at both nihilism, and Existentialism(as SATD said its a word thats lacks a real definition), very exciting. So good luck… and good day sir :smiley:

I just saw the movie this weekend and it caught me totally off guard. I love the opening monologue that felt rather like the opening for Adaptation. The mood had a naturalistic flow that was managed with such care that you never felt pushed or ignored by it. The rise and fall of all the characters made perfect sense. The use of a kind of generic existentialism is common to movie stories of everyday triumph. It was a pretty natural fit to distinctively use at least the term existential in the movie.

What stuck me about both the main characters was the confrontation with their phoniness. Jude Law’s character had a more polished persona, but both of them, in their own way were tuck on the important of their public image. Mark Wahlberg was also surprising engaging. I usually find him at least mildly repulsive as an actor.

:smiley: I am not expert, but exhiltentialism deals with the universe’s indifference to humanity, freedom of choice and responsiblity for one’s actions.

:smiley: I will have to order this flick on Netflix.