Hell? Was it an idea spread out of fear?

Well, this is my first post, and I thought I’d try to make the best of it.

I beleive that the idea of hell was born of ignorance, brutality, fear, cowardice, and revenge.

Nearly all religions have hell as a corner-stone. Upon this burning foundation nearly all have built. Over the abyss of pain rose the glittering dome of pleasure. This world was regarded as one of trial. Here a God of infinite wisdom experimented with man. Between the outstretched paws of the Infinte, the mouse, man was allowed to play.

I beleive the notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, wile a dependence upon reason, observation, and experience merits everlasting pain, it too absrud for refutiation, and can only be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance called ‘faith.’

I’d love to here your comments

where does it describe hell in the torah? (for jews)

where does it describe it in wicca? (etc, not every religion has a “hell”)

I think hell in the religions it’s in is definately used as a motivator to “follow the guidelines set before you and come to church every sunday.”

can you imagine if the same rules applied to other areas in life? like you go to a “car church” every saturday then speed on sunday through friday, but you are forgiven because you believe in the almighty “lord of the road”.

righteous… i dont want to offend those who may be enlightened by my posts, so just read them and you will be about 50 times wiser and you wont agree with what youve just written there

If you want to discuss where the idea of Hell came from, wouldn't a good first step be to actually discuss [i]where it came from[/i] historically, instead of pretending you can read the minds and motivations of people who have been dead for 2000 years?

[quote=“scythekain”]
where does it describe hell in the torah? (for jews)

where does it describe it in wicca? (etc, not every religion has a “hell”)

The history of hell at the start was known as “Sheol.” It IS in the Hebrew bible. It man also be known as “Gehenna”. Of course, it’s not completely the same concept as hell today, but follows the same idealogy.

In Isalm, stated in the Quaran, there are literal descriptions of the condemned in a fiery Hell, as contrasted to the garden-like Paradise enjoyed by righteous believers.

In Hinduism, Yama, (Lord of Justice), send human beings after death to appropiate punishment.

In Buddhism, “hell” in the sense if very different. Hell is temporary for its inhabitants. If one has sufficently enough negative karma are reborn there, until their negative karma has been “used up.”

Bahá'ís do not accept Hell as a place, but rather as a state of being. “Heaven is nearness to Me and Hell is separation from Me.” – Bahá'u’llah

Do not think I have not researched this, I have.

Sheol is not hell.

from “freedictionary.com

She·ol Pronunciation (shl, sh-l)
(Religion, Judaism, Bible)
n.
The abode of the dead in the Bible.

from religioustolerance.org

also, somewhere in a psalm it talks about how we all go to sheol. Do you think we all go to “hell”?

you say you’ve researched the topic I wonder how well?

The definition of Sheol could be taken more than one way. Have YOU only considered one, or at least looked at it a little more insightfully?

Like I’ve said, Sheol and “hell” can be taken as two different things, I was only giving an example.

“The word Hell, in the Old Testament, is always a translation of the Hebrew word Sheol, which occurs sixty-four times, and is rendered “hell” thirty-two times, “grave” twenty-nine times, and “pit” three times.”

Although it is not a reference to a place of endless torment and death, it is merely a “transition” into the modern word we use today as “hell.”

ok, whatever.

Sheol is not an easy word to translate but it definately is NOT the same as gehenna or hades. (the other words translated as hell.)

Sheol could be several things. Physical death, limbo, underworld where the spirits are. This later (taking teaching from Zoroastrian) was changed into hades, and then in 2 - 4 century AD Gehenna (pit of fire).

So the translation of Sheol into Hell is not correct by any means.

yeah I know that. That’s only in the KJV, and related translations.

There’s no one right translation for sheol, I personally doubt it meant hell as in we think about it though.