HELP!!! Am I Being Spied On?

So today, I get up and turn on my laptop but find that it is loading unusually slow. I click on the icon where it tells me if I’m connected to the internet, and besides seeing my regular router and that I am connected, I see this: FBI_Surveillance_Unit_XXX !!! WTF??? WHY me?? I only go to a handful of sites and post, have no criminal dealings, and am now PARANOID!!!

Anyone have a gander as to what that’s about?

I found several articles like this one:

FBI quietly forms secretive Net-surveillance unit
CNET has learned that the FBI has formed a Domestic Communications Assistance Center, which is tasked with developing new electronic surveillance technologies, including intercepting Internet, wireless, and VoIP communications.
May 22, 2012 11:44 PM PDT

The FBI has recently formed a secretive surveillance unit with an ambitious goal: to invent technology that will let police more readily eavesdrop on Internet and wireless communications.

The establishment of the Quantico, Va.-based unit, which is also staffed by agents from the U.S. Marshals Service and the Drug Enforcement Agency, is a response to technological developments that FBI officials believe outpace law enforcement’s ability to listen in on private communications.

While the FBI has been tight-lipped about the creation of its Domestic Communications Assistance Center, or DCAC – it declined to respond to requests made two days ago about who’s running it, for instance – CNET has pieced together information about its operations through interviews and a review of internal government documents

More @ Link:
news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574397 … ance-unit/

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Yes, we’re all being spied on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkA67SJlkV0[/youtube]

As worried as you should probably be, I imagine that the FBI_surveillance_unit_118 is a joke username or somesuch. I doubt the FBI actually spy on people using such an obvious moniker, though I could be wrong.

Could be the FBI, but in any event, you’re being hacked. Do you have Windows? If so, run all the anti-malware programs you have NOW as long as they’re NOT Microsoft. (I know nothing about Mac problems, and I never had a problem with Linux)

We use freebies: AVG, Super Anti Spyware and Malwarebytes. On an older computer, I had Vista and after complete scans by MS online scanner followed by two complete takedowns and reinstalls, I still could tell something still wasn’t right, and ended up changing that computer to Linux Mint, which ended all my spyware and malware woes.

Until Hubby’s Linux-envy became too strong, so now I’m back on our Windows computer, waiting for the next episode of Windows Rot and/or Spy vs Spy.

I’m running anti-virus programs at this very moment. This is just plain creepy, even if it is a neighbor being a dickhead. I do pick up neighbors routers as the houses are in somewhat close proximity to mine.

It ends with xxx ?

Are you serious ?

Joke router name.

And it worked. LOL

Nat, some people rename their WIFI network like that in the hope of stopping people from piggy backing off them.

I would have thought a good password is good enough but perhaps freaking people out adds another layer of security.

If it’s not your son playing around, then it might be your neighbour(s) (trying to keep you off their network) or someone outside playing games.

:laughing:

Edit: Not sure what the sluggishness would be. It’s a good idea to update your virus/trojan protection and give the machine a good going over. It might just be the continual pile of junk we keep putting on our machines or just a sluggish day on the network. Got to check the obvious things first.

It sure did!!

Everything is running fine now. I deleted all the cookies and ran the virus protection that we pay for. Took forever. I need to declutter my comp and throw crap away.

On another note, it was a hoax! I actually took my laptop out for a ride with me in the car. I had it opened to the “Open Network and Sharing Center”. I trolled up and down my street, saw when my own connectivity was no longer in range, but found the house where the Wi-Fi name was originating from!!

Pretty funny shit…and me, stoopid enough to get my bowels in an uproar about it.

=D>

Delusions of grandeur for the win !