Help Please!

I have an online philosophy final due on tuesday, but I’ll be honest with you and admit that I’m not really interested in the subject and know absolutely nothing about it. If someone could be kind enough to help me with the following questions, or at least point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful:

1. Several theories of reality were presented in class and in your textbook. Explain one theory in detail, drawing on both lecture material and your textbook. What are the strengths of this theory? What are the weaknesses?

2. Do we have free will? In your answer, be sure to define all technical terms.

3. Explain the most serious problem facing reductive materialism.

4. Which ethical theory, if any, did you find persuasive? Why?

I realize that last one I’ll have to answer myself.

read your book and notes… that is the only answer…

-Imp

Thanks

???

Hard to fathom.

Not sure you’ll find much sympathy here of all places.

Try the “I Hate Philosophy” forums.

You’d also have to answer number 2 on your own since there is no absolute answer on whether we have free will or not. Well, no absolute answer concerning the masses, at least.

You people are so cruel and thoughtless. Give the student a break and offer some HELPFUL feedback.

Here goes:

For 1, the answer is

C

2= B

3= B

and 4 = none of the above…

i predict that this post’s gona disappear pretty soon, ain’t that right imp?

no, it disappeared from the philosophy section to here as a lasting effigy of the futility of violating the posting rules

-Imp

just to point you in the right direction.

1. Several theories of reality were presented in class and in your textbook. Explain one theory in detail, drawing on both lecture material and your textbook. What are the strengths of this theory? What are the weaknesses?

Reality is what you perceive through your senses, all else in your brain are combinations of factors from your perceived reality. e.g unicorn. in reality, we see a horse and a horn. we imagine a horse WITH a horn that is a unicorn.

1. Do we have free will? In your answer, be sure to define all technical terms.

free will = existential sartre, men are condemned to be free. we exist first then we determine who we are. or. free will = the ability to change the future. opposite of determinism which says all things are set. answer is I do not know whether we have free will because I can not see into the future. even if future is set, i wouldn’t know, so i do not know if future is determined therefore I do not know if we have free will to change predesination.

1. Explain the most serious problem facing reductive materialism.

reductive materalism = The view that only the material world (matter) is truly real, and that all processes and realities observed in the universe can be explained by reducing them down to their most basic scientific components, e.g., atoms, molecules, and everything else thought to make up what we know as “matter.” For example, a reductive materialist would view the miraculous and unexpected healing of a supposedly terminal cancer patient as a random coincidence of solely biological and physiological processes in the person’s body. While, on the other hand, some might view the healing as stemming from factors contributing to the biological factors, e.g., prayer or meditation.

most serious i think is mind-body dualism. mind exist independantly of the body as proposed by most religions. but what is the mind? i don’t know. so the answer again is I don’t know.

1. Which ethical theory, if any, did you find persuasive? Why?

what is ethics? right/wrong? might is right, for all ethical theories are based on prejudice see nietzsche, and relative.