Hermeneutic of Tragedy & religion

To be religious is to look long and hard into the depths of that human element, suffering, and in doing so, a divine force is postulated, inferred, invented, or asserted…

To be religious is to see with the eyes of faith, which is the facility of seeing in the dark, and enable groping around. This leads to a lack of expectation for evidence, assurance, or justification of any sort.

The genealogy of religion is couched within the interpretations of suffering - typically an anthropomorphic response to what is given & removed in suffering. Since suffering is taken as a moral outrage, the religious attitude is conceived or generated as a protest against suffering, a defiance against the violation of life. Religion is the posture of defiance, for it speaks in the name of life and defends against those inimical forces that degrade life…

Theologian Johann Baptist Metz: religion speaks ex memoria passionis, from the memory of suffering (History & society)

“Every rebellion against suffering is fed by the subversive power of remembered suffering.”

The most powerful images of judaism and christianity are the images of injustice & liberation (crucifixion & exodus)

Nonetheless once religion begins to articulate itself in terms of grace that is granted to a ‘chosen people’ it degenerates into a factional power and morphs into a force of oppression that lost its voice of protest. Once religion dumps the impulse for universal liberation, it is no longer universal, declining into a binary division between the believer and the infidel.

For the tragic, suffering is not a violation, but part of life, a moment in the totality of life, part of the whole… Since suffering belongs to life, protesting suffering is to protest life. Life is already conditioned by suffering…

Religion began with suffering, not God, and by protesting against its injustice, religion invokes God. While the tragic does not begin with atheism, it affirms suffering as part n parcel of life, which denies God in order to affirm the justice of suffering.

A selective affirmation of life that excludes suffering is like taking a vow that takes life for better but not worse. Affirmation of life is not selective or partial, it affirms the whole, both the pain n pleasure, the midnight & noon. Life is both overcoming & undergoing, a constant fluctuation between both aspects. Ergo affirmation embraces the whole flux w/o discrimination or exclusion…

The greatest dionysian response to life is amor fati… Which does not hierarchizes life into binary opposites of higher & lower, affirming one, marginalizing the other… Life is innocent, the innocence of becoming entails the innocence of suffering.

Religion has divided life into two wiz a hierarchy, between the bearable n unbearable, the true life n the enemy of life, guilty & innocent…

Nietzsche once said that the most suffering animal on earth invented for itself - laughter!

Totally man…

You are copying and pasting posts from other forums to this one: this misses the point…come up with something new to say.

How are we even to know that youo are not simply duplicating other people’s work?

:unamused:

I wonder what exactly is the motivation behind such baseless accusations of plagiarism. If and only if you are not prepared to produce evidence to sustain this kind of serious charge, and get blown out of the water in the process, please kindly retract and apologize.

How are we even to know that youo[sic] are not simply stalling with red herrings like these?

Word to the wise: being an unmitigated cynic is as inadvisable as being a gullible newbie. :wink:

Next!

Fair enough.

iidb.org/vbb/archive/index.php/t-92427

Evidence enough?

Next!

A tut tut, my cynic. This isn’t evidence of plagiarism. That only begs the further question: how do you know I’m not Tyler Durden? How do you know he ain’t a figment of my ego?

Quite right. I dont know if you are Mr Tyler Durden or any other character from Fight Club for that matter. More importantly I don’t care to know.

What is important is that you lied when you had the opportunity to set the record straight and admit you had reproduced a thread from another forum. You failed to do this.

In any case, I never accused you of plagiarism. I accused you of copying and pasting. Which you have clearly done. Shall we get outr facts straight ‘Tyler’?

Sheesh, such sophistry! I ask for evidence of plagiarism and the individual is too happy to present a link to another site. Upon the revelation that it is indeed, my work, the individual changes his tactic from an insinuation of plagiarism to a charge of lying. This is, if nothing else, a fine demonstration of pissing in the well.

Pathetic.

Again, not quite.

To lie is to deliberately mislead with false information. In this case, I did not claim anything to the contrary. I only objected to your implication that it was not my work. Now, since you failed in your original tactic, please produce evidence that I lied.

You sure didn’t bother clarify that, my sophist interlocutor. You did not retract the accusation of unoriginality in your pathetic attempt to derail the thread.

Sure. This subject originated out of a discussion with a friend of mine who has an Master’s degree in theology, over the observations of Nietzsche and hermeneutics. This excellent discussion was worth repeating, so I wrote it down and emailed it to other thinkers. The OP is that email. The other forums are slightly more polished.

gavtmcc, try and remain on-topic, instead of hiding behind weak misdirections, and attempt a honest reading of the thesis. I know that is asking a lot from someone who is incapable of mustering a coherent response without committing fallacious red herrings, but you can surprise me. :slight_smile:

Me think he doth protest too much.

This post speaks for itself, and is why I came down heavily on you.

You owe everyone an apology before we start to debate your post. Nothing would please me more than hearing this (apart from perhaps youo changing your username).

Rather than setting the record straight here and admitting youo copied and pasted, you did not.

As for whether this is your work, as I said, I will never know and dont care.

Nice dick-sizing contest all around. :unamused: