how personal is your god?

what is the nature of your god…my god is not personal…in a way the personal aspect may be the relationship
that you have with yourself…what do you think…

I haven’t quite come to the end of my faith journey yet, I’m still sorting through things and trying to figure out exactly what I believe. I’m not willing to say that god does not exist, but my definition of what “god” is, is a bit blurry. In regards to the OP, after getting away from (or escaping) the Christian influence in my life and looking at things without religious guilt tainting my perspective (not an easy thing to cast aside, that religious guilt), I feel less and less like god is any kind of “personal” being. I think of “god” as more the force that moves us, the energy that connects us to each other and to everything, rather than a personal-type being who knows my name and answers my prayers.

turtle-------my god is personal…a relationship with myself sounds odd…what do you think…

Can’t get any more personal than mine is to me.

I’m not sure “relationship with myself” means.
…but it sounds like something that you shouldn’t let your mother or friends know about. :confused:

oh this is going to be a good thread…such good replies…i will try to be more specific about the relationship
with myself…but i am working on it…i have incorporated a lot of my friends and family in my concept of god…
those that were loving are precious to me…those hateful people are ones i despise…to me the good ones are god…maybe this is like ancestor worship…lets keep going with this…

can you all be more specific…

what is wrong with this thread----------------

Perhaps you have strong feelings or thoughts on the matter right now Turtle… compared to others.

I once thought of my own personal idea of god as my judge and jury for all my actions, but once I hit my mid-teens a god was a man made concept… and thus began my spiritual journey.

turtle-----ancestor worship is interesting…very new idea…which side of the family?

more specific about what? …this is an interesting topic.

Interesting article, though the conclusion drawn from the research strikes me as a little bit too simplistic.

james—please say more about your god…

Real as hands and feet.

what are you meaning ier…

My experience with God is personal.

does that mean you dont want to say anymore…i move very slowly…

No. It’s just that I know nothing of universals or absolutes. All I know is what affects me personally. For me God is real and personal.That may not be so for many others; but I am me, not them.

but i want to know more about you…the guys out there who attack are no longer in charge…we do not have to defend ourselves against these insults…i am very emotional about my god…

turtle…

I have no god ~ but the one which I at times intuit ~ which kind of comes to me in a moment ~ sweeps in and then back out as quickly, is highly and beautifully creative, unpredictable, elusive and otherwise unknown. That is usually when I am sitting surrounded by nature or looking up into the night sky. I kind of prefer it that way…mystery abounds.

Neither is mine…at least not in the biblical sense (no silly, not biblical that way).

That is highly probable ~ also a facet of the relationship which one has with their one or both of their parents.

yes arc…what i see from time to time is something that is hard to describe…when i try to pin that down
it is very hard to communicate…actually when i study the evolution of life on earth i feel love not hate…when i look out
in space i am ??? i dont know…

THE God is literally in all places at all times, without exception, literally within and between every subatomic particle. THE God is never, ever disobeyed by anything or anyone. THE God is THE Law of the entire universe. With respect to THE God, there is no other God nor has there ever been nor can there ever be. THE God is totally immutable, never ever changing in the slightest. THE God is not personal in the normal sense of the word, although such depends upon one’s relationship with THE God. THE God will just as soon crush you into atoms as make you a billionaire.

On the other hand, I draw a distinction between THE God and “MyGod”.

MyGod is exactly like THE God except exists only everywhere I am not. But perhaps more importantly, my MyGod is different than your MyGod, in ever case. Literally everything and everyone has their own MyGod. MyGod never dictates that all people should do this or that. MyGod is purely and totally subjective. But that is not to say that each person “creates their own MyGod”. Your MyGod responds to you, but is not your invention. Your MyGod treats you favorably more often if you attend to him (ei “pray” properly). But just like THE God, MyGod will seriously kick your ass for ignoring him. And fantasizing about the omnipotence other gods is ignoring him.

Fearing THE God merely makes a person insane and very likely to die sooner. But fearing MyGod gets you seriously screwed, as in stifled and immobile, incapable of handling your situation or changing it. Fear is not recommended for either. But then, unlike the Arabs, I distinguish fear from respect. To respect means to believe in the power of something/one. Fear is to avoid or attack something/one. If you don’t respect either, you simply fail at whatever you are trying to do. But if you fear either, you not only fail, but suffer insanity along the way.

Loving either is much, much wiser than fearing either. Love your MyGod and you will know serenity. Love THE God and you will know reality… and without doubt. Although none ever succeed in even the slightest way or breath even one breath without permission from MyGod, fortunately for all existing things and people, MyGod is generally forgiving… up to a point. Both more respect those who respect them.

james this is really good…very thought provoking…