I guess Liebniz still has followers...

http://www.laughteryoga.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5477:whatever-happens-happens-for-the-good-universe-knows-best&catid=my-diary

It’s similar to some Taoist and Buddhist stories. These stories suggest that the good-bad duality is not applicable while this link suggests that it’s all good.

And if you’ve been paying attention to the real world you’ll know that things usually go more like this:

[i]"Subject: This is Truly An Incredible Story

"In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it.
"As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.
"Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.
"Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenage son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.
"Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing, and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder.
"The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

“Probably wasn’t the same elephant.”[/i]

There is no (humanly devinable) purpose to the universe.

I felt better after reading the link than after reading your story, Buffalo. If it’s bullshit then so be it. At least it doesn’t leave a bad taste in the mouth.

It was actually circulated in emails as a joke. But, basically, from a cosmic point of view, that’s what the universe thinks of us…

There are these little animals a bit like mongoose [cant remember their name], every time me and my wife goes to a zoo and walk past their enclosure, the whole bunch of them runs up to her as if she’s magnetic to them. It happened in more than one zoo and many times.

I still cannot explain it, and although it has nothing to do with duality, it shows there can be mysterious connections. Perhaps if we take a few examples we’d see good, or bad, when my take on it is neither, it has nothing to do with good nor bad.

We were going through a bad time, and she said; lets take a walk up white horse hill, see what the spirits have to say. We did, it was easy walking up the hill as the wind was behind us, but coming back down the wind was so fierce the descending gravity barely got us down the hill.

Our question was concerning what our future will be, the answer; the past was going uphill, it wasn’t so bad even though it was indeed uphill. The future; was going down hill! Things should be easy but the wind is indeed against us.

…and it was absolutely right.

Sounds like self-fulfilling prophecies to me. If you’re expecting ‘spirits’ to inform you about decisions, you’re going to read too much into something as simple as the natural phenomenon of wind. Why don’t you use geomancy to determine whether or not to commit suicide tonight? Because it’s entirely irrational is why.

Regarding the animals, are they prairie dogs? I mean I’ve never heard of ferrets at a zoo…

Wind is traditionally correlative to thought [awens;druidry, and chi etc], we asked the question and the hill/wind answered us, and was correct. I do sometimes use sacred geometry but only in terms of something similar to astrology [though not that]. I wouldn’t use natural magic nor geometry to decide if I should commit suicide nor any decisions really. If it all hadent agreed with what we thought anyway, then I would have gone with what I thought, not with the wind.

The animals were probably more like Meercats [and there are mongoose at cotswolds wildlife park anyway].
were their actions due to our self-fulfilling prophecies? maybe some things have affinities with other things.

Yes he does, myself amongst those numbers. A laugh is like a onion with many layers, which level do you honestly think your on in riddiculing this. This is wisdom drawn from a ammalgation of long but broken reflection, not the immediacy of inductive and deductive reasoning. If all philosophy had to follow through the latter two, we would still be ignorant cavemen eating one another. For every climax of thinking, we must look into the shadows of our lee for the things we still ponder, however slight, our periphery natures,and study intensely what lurks beneath. Many a wise man has lived boldly and in full health and in envy of others from following the thinking as the topic above, while many, many, many fools have laughed childishly at things they have not understood.

There is no idea in itself. There us the epicenter of a process… its namable form, and its horizons. You lack the second, you lack the first and is little more than a fool wagging your tongue, proving to other idiots you dont know a damn thing.

I took my family to a local spot I thought might be good for a picnic, I hadent been there before.
Upon arrival parking seemed difficult so I drove along until I found a suitable spot, somehow we had lost our sense of direction. We walked along a track and thought ‘we are going in the wrong direction’ but something said ‘keep going’, we kept walking just to see, then in the distance we saw I nice old church and something else near to it like a rock formation. Getting closer we noticed it was on signposted private land, but we continued regardless. As we drew near we noticed it was a rather lovely waterfall in all its feminine glory [as the water had exposed the rocks in such a manner], nothing fantastic but around 20ft high, and beyond it was a series of smaller falls as the river flowed down to it.

Seems innocuous and its no big deal, but its not a tourist attraction nor on any local maps, we wouldn’t have found it if we hadent gone in the wrong direction. Its just one of those little things that happen to make you think that nature communicates with you, if you care to listen.

Then I’m correct in assuming this comment of yours wasn’t primarily [in/de]ductive?

Indeed, but this pivots on your the valence of your spirituality as a priori.

I’m not saying their actions were self fulfilling prophecies but that your interpretation of them may have been. I express skepticism at these things, as the majority has, in my experience, warranted. I have not and do not however express this as a universal truth, as I make no claim to omnipotence. My point re suicide is an obvious reductio, by which I mean to illustrate that relegation of important decisions to the subjective interpretation of natural phenomena which may or may not be merely coincidental is, to my mind, inadvisable. I seem to have been a bit rude, and for that I apologize.

To clarify, Contra, my dissent with Liebniz is on the basis of this “for the good”, the “best possible” outcome. I fundamentally disagree with a flawed human concept of relative qualitative states of being as determined by a will we’ve ascribed to the universe: ‘How great is the difference between “eh” and “o”? What is the distinction between “good” and “evil”?’

It does yes and that it is somewhat used the world over, doesn’t add anything to that unsupported judgement.
Actually we had conceived of the idea in far simpler terms, just like asking a question with requisites [the going up the hill] [interestingly the same hill Kate bush used for her video; cloud busting], from which an answer was derived.

So the question probably now becomes; does everything or the involved things in the world communicate? My answer; information only exists where there is communication, and there is always information concerning things in each and every manner. You cannot have something occur without there being communications and information. We are simply tools which can read and write, yet so is reality, we are not a non-real [unless everything is]. What happens in this mind is indistinct from nature in every possible way.

Guess what, I agree! I simply cannot work out what it is about the apparent connection between Pauline [my wife] and those little critters. One occurrence had me intrigued, twice got me wondering, then that it occurred at another location with different critters, that got me confounded. I dunno it sounds more absurd if I thought both parties had some manner of chemistry or magnetism, than if some things simply like some other things ~ holistically.

_

I would go to the same zoo with different people. Are the cages open in a way that food may be passed through? Edit variables, look for commonalities. Treat it as an experiment.

I had an instance with my blind dog who, when encountering a certain type of person, barks hysterically can can’t be made to stop until nearly 20 minutes after they’ve left. I noticed that I did not particularly like these people, one of which (an aunt) I very nearly deplore, and thought perhaps, since my dog was always calm around my friends, she is picking up on their qualities as people. It just so happens, as I later realized, that none of my friends have dogs, while the offending people do. My skepticism regarding situations like what you’ve described stems from the knowledge that a combination of exformation (such as a magician’s performance) and ignorance to a given data set exists in abundance about everything, and that it is hardly rare to be mystified by something that is anything but extraordinary.

It could indeed be something like that, my dog also barks at people I don’t like irrespective of weather or not they too have dogs. I think dogs are quite capable of picking up pheromones n stuff [apparently they can tell if you have cancer], and so can tell what we think of people. My dog also sits up and looks out the window when my wife is on her way home.
It could be that my missus has a scent they have an affinity with, or she may have been on her period lol, who knows. It could just as easily be that she has a kind of look they like for some reason [like a pets and owners kinda thing], some people like each other some don’t.
For me it’s the large collection of coincidences and such events as above inc the talking wind/hill, its how people somehow get an idea of what you’re thinking about, or how 9/11 info was picked up on random number generators, and test with photos show a predictive element in the subject.

If reality was a closed case, a complete known it would need to be greater than infinity. It would be a closed system frozen in space - so to speak. Something about it denies that, we struggle to find anything concrete, a beginning nor any cardinality, like the mind it is plastic, poetic, art…