I'm Really Pissed,

The County has now closed all recycling centers attached to the County transfer stations that collect junk for the land fills. It was a free service that has gone away. Now we’ll be forced to pay for the removal of our recyclables, and we’ll be limited in the amount of recyclables we must pay to have picked up to a 32oz. trash can, which you’ll have to buy if what you have doesn’t meet the trash hauler’s specs, which, from what I’ve observed, is a barrel (plastic) with a hinged top rather than a removable top,

We have always recycled everything that can be recycled–We compost, we separate glass and plastic, we break down cardboard boxes, we use yogurt cups for seed starting, we send meat scraps down the garbage disposal, and we have a trash compacter for anything that may be left. Every two to three months, we’d take our recyclables to the free transfer station along with our 12"x12"x12" full trash compacter bags to the attached transfer station. It cost about $15 every three months, depending on the weight of the trash compacter bags.

But it isn’t really cost–the breakdown isn’t bad. It’s the fact that we’re being told we must pay a private company to do what we’ve always been able to do for free!

I’m really pissed!

Are you absolutely, positively 100% sure recycling is a good thing? How much research have you done on the pros and cons of recycling?

Also, the idea that it was free when the government was doing it but that it costs money now is patently false. If it costs you money now that it’s private, it certainly costed as much, probably more, when it was public. It’s just that that cost was included in everybody’s taxes before, and now you have to pay it separately. Might be a marginally higher cost just because each family is driving their own recycling to the place individually, instead of collectively in one big ol’ truck – which is perhaps an opportunity to invest, little lady! Maybe there’s some business to be had in getting a big truck and collecting everybody’s recycling. If it’s cheaper to pay for some guy to come get their recycling than for them to take care of it themselves, they’ll probably do so.

Think about it.

And taxes have gone down accordingly, of course.

Government doesn’t shrink, is the thing. They may have cancelled the recycling program, but they almost certainly found a new place for that money to go. Taxes don’t often go down.

it is either pay taxes or go deeper in debt or both as far as government goes…lizbeth what do you suggest? what is your biggest complaint?

Given that you pay the same taxes whether or not you get the service, you could look on that as something that was free (you paid no more taxes and got the extra service before) is now something you have to pay for. It’s not strictly correct, but not an entirely misleading way of looking at things.

I think it’s misleading enough to challenge. I don’t think the idea that if the government is in charge of something, it’s “free” is particularly helpful. It breeds political ignorance. I mean, if it were true, maybe the government should just be in charge of EVERYTHING! That way everything would be free! Nobody has to work any more! We can all start agreeing with Nameta now! But with just a teeny eencie weencie bit of thought, one realizes that the government doesn’t just make things free by being in charge of it. It’s not quite that simple.

Let me answer FJ first. I know that government ownership doesn’t mean the people get services for free–we’ve paid for the services. I also know, thanks to people and the situations they’ve caused which were beyond our control, city, county, and state governments are suffering huge deficits. Cutting services is one way to go. As for re-cycling, yes, I’ve studied the value and efficacy of recycling. In most cases, despite what some people think, it takes less energy to produce a product from recycled materials than it does from virgin materials, and the product range is increasing–from outdoor plastic ‘wood,’ to glass counter-tops–and, naturally, it’s less consumptive of natural resources.

Turtle, one thing I’d suggest is more and more people should recycle. This can only come about if re-cycling is made easy for people. We really should stop being a throw-away society, if that’s possible. The second suggestion is to start using more and more products made from recycled materials. Finally, learn what you can about how recycling. Learn how recycling reduces the need for land-fills and how that can keep pollutants out of our water tables. Learn how waste paper can be used. Learn what can be used for what, then do it.

My biggest complaint about the closures of recycling centers is that the people weren’t notified ahead of time–believe it or not, a lot of people around here will be affected. There are no data bases set up to give people information about what can be recycled when curb-side service is required. There’s no way of comparing cost, since you’re limited to the company that services your area or town, and, as Humean says, taxes aren’t going to come down, so you’re paying twice for the same service.

Mainly, I don’t like mandates, in general. Certain mandates are reasonable and I’ll go along with them. I find others to be capricious, not well thought out, and more of a burden than a benefit.

Lizbeth, if that’s the case, then why are they making you pay to recycle? Why are they making you pay to give them something that will save them money? That doesn’t make sense. That’s bonkers. You’re doing them a favor, and they’re making you pay for it? Something’s not right in this picture, lizzy. Something doesn’t fit.

^^ they simply blackmail us into paying more so that they get greater profits ~ and the govt is in on it, perhaps?

Privatisation often incurs costs that were not there before. I don’t know how it works in america but we used to have govt run social housing, so when a pensioner, the disabled or unemployed paid rent the cost was zero, the money simply went from one govt dept to another. Then it all got privatised so now we all have to pay those rents in our taxes, that’s many billions of debt which wasn’t there before. There’s a similar thing with privately built hospitals, with rail and energy.

No matter what we do taxes wont go down because costs have gone up so much.

…and yes you could hand a load of it back to govt and get it for free or cheaper, that’s exactly what was happening before.

Why should we pay for recycling when in fact we are paying for the consumer society, for manufacturers and supermarkets who don’t believe in reusable containers and paper bags.

I have not experienced that. Kroger has a place for you to recycle your plastic grocery bags, in store, and they also give you $0.03 off of your bill for every bag that you come in and use, whether it be paper, plastic, or cloth. I usually take two water boxes into the store and fill those up with the stuff, I’m not worried about the $0.03, I just like saving time taking the stuff from my car into the house.

Sure they give that illusion, and I also take my own bags and get a tiny amount of money off. My point was more concerned with throwing stuff away or recycling [some of the product is lost in that [on average around 10% if I remember correctly], so eventually the whole is lost] instead of using reusable containers, or at least far less packaging and indeed far less bad/fatty products.
Consider open markets as compared to supermarkets.

You perhaps missed the more important points in the post.

I may have, but I was mainly just addressing that one aspect of Quetzalcoatl’s post.