Imagination (Revised)

A child comes to you with a fantastic story about a purple polka-dotted monster that comes from the land of the magic mountains where the sun is pink and the flowers grow to be as big as houses! You laugh, thinking it’s very cute, and say, “My, what an imagination we have today!” On the other hand, should adults other than perhaps writers of fairy tales, science fiction, or children’s books, come to you with the same story, you might view them as being a little strange, off-beat, or perhaps highly eccentric. Certainly you would probably not consider them to be within society’s norm. At best, you may consider them to be creative geniuses; at worst, raving lunatics.

For me imagination encompasses more than just brain activity; a vital and principal vehicle, imagination connects us with the web of power and the spirit in all things. Imagination links us with the world of nonordinary reality or, in shamanic terms, the spirit world. Children, born with this skill, forget a great deal of it through enculturation and modern emphasis on strict logic to explain everything in the physical universe. The door that links children to the realm of spirit slowly begins to close in their attempt to master the physical, cultural ways of modern life. To a degree this is a normal process and a necessary one if they are to learn to distinguish between the nonordinary spirit world and the everyday physical world.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Could Imagination possibly have some spiritual significance?

Incredible feats of technology and architecture all began with creative images concieved in the realms of imagination.

How powerful do you think Imagination really is?

Please any opinions or thoughts at all are welcome. I want this topic to be open to anything on the subject of Imagination even visions you may have had while day-dreaming or imagining.

A child comes to you with a fantastic story about a man that comes from an impossible birth, who is gruesomely killed and magically comes back to life. do you laugh, thinking it’s very cute, and say, “My, what an imagination we have today!” On the other hand, should adults other than perhaps writers of fairy tales, science fiction, or children’s books, come to you with the same story, you might view them as being a little strange, off-beat, or perhaps highly eccentric. Certainly you would probably not consider them to be within society’s norm. At best, you may consider them to be creative geniuses; at worst, raving lunatics.

…or christians

-Imp

fordham.edu/halsall/mod/hume-miracles.html

Someone other than Imp has to have some thoughts on imagination.

Murdoc,

To see a World in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.…

The bat that flits at close of eve
Has left the brain that won’t believe.
The owl that calls upon the night
Speaks the unbeliever’s fright.…

Joy and woe are woven fine,
A clothing for the soul divine;
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.…

Every tear from every eye
Becomes a babe in Eternity.…

The bleat, the bark, bellow, and roar
Are waves that beat on Heaven’s shore.…

He who doubts from what he sees
Will ne’er believe, do what you please.
If the Sun and Moon should doubt,
They’d immediately go out.…

God appears, and God is Light,
To those poor souls who dwell in Night;
But does a Human Form display
To those who dwell in realms of Day.

Auguries of Innocence, William Blake

Dunamis :slight_smile:

A child comes to you with fantastic stories of Weapons of Mass Destruction being housed beneath sun scorched sands and… woops wrong thread. :blush:

Seriously, if one wanted to do such a thing, you could probably classify imagination according to function and such… for example, a pragmatic form and a fantastic form. Pragmatic imagination, the kind employed by engineers and inventors, works within the confines of the physical world and its laws. A Fantastic imagination is not bound by the physical world, though I would suggest it is tempered by personal desries (both conscious and unconscious). If so then perhaps one kind of imagery affords the sense of escape, or power, or peace, whatever it is the seeker seeks (again knowingly or unknowingly).

Hell who knows, maybe imagination is the result of some mechanism or event which occurs on the quantum level and which affords us just a glimpse into other worlds.

Imagination is the pathway to true sanity.

Well put.

Very interesting. Obviously, you are proposing that with imagination you can “see into other worlds”. This is extremely important, if you are right. As far as we know there is only one “world”. Would you care to elaborate?

“What IS real?”
“Have you ever had a dream that you could swear was REAL?” - Morpheus

“Focus determines reality” - Qui-Gon Jinn

Imagination is just recombining elements of information that we already know. There is nothing mystical about it.

Then you obviously don’t use your imagination to its fullest potential. Are you forgetting invention?

Nope, you can’t think outside of your data set. You can only switch things around or put them in a different order.

You are mistaken, imagine another world, now tell me what may exist in that world which does not already exist here. GO!

Maybe you are correct, but what about the invention of the wheel? Before the wheel there was absolutely nothing like the wheel. There was no previous data that could be switched around or rearranged. It was completely new, or was it?

I can think of many things, but to express them to you I would have to create new names for it all and you wouldn’t have any idea what I was talking about. This type of imagination cannot be shared by more than one person, it is mine alone. It also takes a lot of effort.

bullshit

Hmm. Maybe you are right.

We cannot imagine anything new outside of this world. But this world is infinite isn’t it? (well it isn’t proven, but this is what I think) Infinite possibilities. That has to count for something.

Don’t get me wrong, i am not denying that the world may be infinite, but for argument sake along, consider that that “space” is unique to this Universe, it just wouldn’t be possible for one to imagine another world without using “space” as the building blocks.

Could you possibly imagine something other than space to build from?

exactly my point.

I see. I guess I was thrown off track with Alderian’s lack of enthusiasm towards imagination. I feel something is wrong with your post, Alderian, but I can’t put my finger on it just yet. I think when recombining things in the right way, imagination can be extrememly mystical. In fact, I googled the term ‘mystical’ and one of the definitons said, “Spiritual and imaginative.”

Adlerian’s post doesn’t seem to be a lack of enthusiasm toward imagination, it just seems to know what imagination really is.

Imagination is awesome, but there’s nothing mystical about it. It doesn’t need to be thought of as “mystical” to be accepted as “awesome”.

Take the wheel for example… it was not a mystical invention, but was ‘invented’ after learning a few things and ‘connecting the dots’ between those learned things, to make a tool that makes life easier – For starters: learning about how pushing stuff that’s (naturally) round from point A to point B is a lot easier than pushing stuff that is not round from point A to point B… Connect that dot with this dot: you can chip away at stuff (on accident at first, and then on purpose after that) and can change what it looks like and feels like. You get a new dot: Chip away at what you’re pushing until it’s round (if it isn’t already) and it will take less effort to push… You only need a few more learning experiences to connect enough dots to think up the wheel.

All inventions, everything new, builds upon previous learning… “old stuff”… and is simply a new way to “connect the dots”. Without the old dots, there is no invention, nothing new.

Being able to connect dots in new ways is not mystical, it is a function of the brain – an awesome function.

This is basically the same thing The Adlerian said.