In defense of a Basic Income (Response to McArdle)

Most people who are really paying shit tons of taxes aren’t earning their money in the sense that we normally think of when we think of what we mean when we say “earn”.

If I have a huge tax bill because my company made a shit ton of cash, but then my company only made that shit ton of cash by hiring 1000 people and paying them 7 bucks an hour for their work…then…I mean…you can go ahead and put 2 and 2 together yourself.

No one’s asking the coal miners and the lumberjacks and the restaurant and retail employees who work 50 hours a week to pick up the tab for welfare.

Hello there,

I dont think money will ever mean anything when robotics and mega computers will fully replace man, from the surgeon, the factory worker to the cubicle job. Money and knowledge become kinda incompatible at some point. More knowledge eventually turns the quest for materialism into a mirage.

Money isn’t only about materialism, it’s also about exchange: trading a good for a dollar tells us something about the value of the good relative to other goods. And because it’s about exchange, it creates a system that quickly and efficiently aggregates information about the preference of everyone participating in the exchanges. It’s a form of voting, and will remain useful even in a post-scarcity economy, though I think something like a Basic Income would be necessary to be just and to maximize participation.

Actually and perhaps interestingly, machines are already “trading with” and “employing” each other based upon money. They don’t call it “money”. They call it “statistical usefulness”. Machines choose which other machines to employ based upon their “credit history” (historical success ratio). More advanced systems choose “who to work for” or which other machine to respond to, based upon the machines own assessed needs. Your PC is already doing that to a degree right now.

Turd/Omar, I agree that Bama should not have said that; however I am sure I dont know that it was an actual mistake. Backtracking; A lot has changed in Lybias financial word (extremely wealthy nation) that is literally never talked about officially, same goes for all Nato politics. Basically I dont tend to take things as much at face value, especially not in geostrategy. ISIS represents a couple of things for Nato interests, most of all a handy powervacuum. It cant have eluded you that the group never mentions Israel. Why is that? Im on the side of Israel so I wont divulge any strategies I perceive but on the surface we can be pretty clear that if they were to harm an Israeli publically, they would find themselves under burning skies in a matter of hours at gigantic civilian cost. Isis being openly backed by a bunch of powerful ‘friendly’ sunni states I should not have to mention either, is programmed to avoid causing WW3. Israel wont hesitate to set it off if triggered. It would likely play to their advantage in the end. They are one of the very few nations in this theatre that play by the ruthless ancient calculations and dont have to worry about public consensus. All its enemies know this. For example Iran is much more modern in its calculations as it has a delicate electoral balance to keep. The country is divided 50 50 between backward and secularized types. If war were to loom the regime might fall. In Israel the reverse is the case.

Russia would love to carpet raid the group but is modern as well in its political strategies, mwaning again respecting a fickle popular basis, and can not interfere too much, it is playing the European game, having just won the Ukraine standoff it knows to abide its time and not to risk what it does not absolutely need to risk (such as over Crimea, integral part of its military architecture). It also knows that it doesnt know precisely and for a country this big with this much border and so many powerful bordering ootential enemies (EU, Turkey, Iran, Paki-Afghanistan, China, US (Alaska) It will always choose the small underground game. It counts on surviving this by clever situation-by-situation play and not lose too much economic range -that is the bit I agree with.

Whatever very clearly ‘doesnt make sense’ in light of thenassumed will to bring stability to the region is part of a dtrategy to cause chaos and make the muslim world into a plasmic state ready for total transformation. The aim I see is very simple, I leave it up to you to either or not dare to think it as I sure as hell wont speak it, (it is precisely what is never mentioned, it is very naive yo think any strategist would even so much as suggest his true aim) and Russia is trying to figure out a way to benefit from that aim rather than get isolated.

Finally, what Obamas motivations are is truly beyond me as I am not at all sure how the alliances within Nato run, it is only clear that that is the sort of stuff I dont want to know - the sort of knowledge that is the opposite of power.

Im just watching it unfold now. In any case we now all know that WWI never ended.

hey there, I do get what you mean and am very well versed in economics. I am not looking at what money is or is not, but if the current trends are any indication, we can rightfully assess that corporations will always seek to optimize returns and end up robotizing and computerizing as much as they can. Eventually there will be no jobs out there and it is a mere 20 years or so ahead. I am even not mentioning AI that will replace politicians and decision makers.

Maybe it is time to consider abandoning the concept of money and give more attention to our passions?

Okay I admit that I am precisely writing about the topic and expect to have my thesis ready by next March and which is about a Money Free Society,

I agree with your description of the problem, I made similar a prediction here:

I don’t agree, however, with your solution. Because of the information-aggregating nature of money, it will remain a vital part of a society even when automation takes over production. Humans will still need to collectively define what is valuable: should we set the machines to building a colony on Mars, or just more and better virtual reality systems on earth? In my view, a Basic Income solves the problem long term: whatever percentage of GDP is attributable to robots, pay that out as Basic Income and let people indicate their values through their spending decisions.

As I understand money-free societies, the effect would be similar, but it would retain a valuable tool that humanity has developed. The market will probably always be the largest, most parallel computer we can build, and even automated governance could be fed by the data it crunches.

I will be interested to see your thesis when it’s done. Have you read any of the discussion of the Star Trek economy that was percolating in the econ blogosphere not too long ago? It got into very interesting ruminations about the operation of a post-scarcity economy. Such an economy often looks money-free, but I think the case is compelling that there’s still a place for money.