Interpreting the Bible

I’d like to get an interpretation of the Bible. There are meny parts in Genesis, some in Ezekial, ALL of Revelation and the apocalyptic books.

I’ll throw in my thoughts later, I promise. I’ve got school in the morning and I’m suffering from MASSIVE sleep deprevation due to studying for Mid-terms. I’m planning on going to sleep like uh… right now. :wink:

I thought this would be fun so I guess that I will get started without you.

I Corinthians 11:6-9
For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved , let her cover her head.

For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.

For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man;

for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake.

Keep in mind, this is the New Testament, so you can’t put this off as old covenant behavior.

So let me get this right. If you are a female, then you must obviously either have a shaved head or you wear a veil on your head?

If you are a man, you never where a hat?

If you are a female, did you know that men are the “Glory of God”, but you are only the “glory of man”? Not only this, but you were created for man’s sake. You were actually created with the purpose of serving man.

Interesting… Have you got some more?

Haha, about 2-3 years ago the Catholic Church revaluated what readings it would use during the Mass. They ended up removing most of the stuff about how women are second-class citizens in Christianity. Most of the woman hating stuff comes from Paul’s attitudes, as Jesus was more contemporary with his.

There are so many things written in the bible that are now out dated ideas on many subjects.

What follows is from the a newsgroup posting on Religion. I found it an interesting read.

Interestingly enough, if I remember correctly, the name Jacob translates as ‘deciever’ while Esau translates as ‘red and hairy’. Who would name their child ‘red and hairy’? :laughing:

At another part of Jacob’s journey, he returns to meet his brother after 20 or so years. The night before he meets his brother, God actually comes down to earth as an old man and wrestles with Jacob, one on one. In fact, I think Jacob actually wins and God gives in. Am I correct on that Pax?

Either way, it’s seems fairly contradictory to much of the new testament ideologies. Of course, the New Testament should really be called the Paul Testament because he is the originator of nearly 3/4’s of it. Paul is very anti-women, while Jesus at least promotes some sense of equality.

Alright, that is enough ranting for one day. Sure h2o, I can find some more. I’ll crack my bible open and see what I can find.

Here’s the part I think you’re taking about. Hehe I know there’s times I wouldn’t mind beating up God! :wink:

One last Bible quote from me tonight. This is one of my favourites, only because it is completely off the wall.

You would think with all the talking God and Moses did, that God might tell Moses that He thinks all Men are equal? Anyway… Its stuff like this that makes you realise why the Catholic Church didn’t want people reading the Bible. It kind of reminds me of 1984 where the Ministry of Truth used to rewrite old articles when new policy contradicted old ones.

Personally I think Judaism is a lot more practical for personal survival then Christianity. Because ‘an eye for an eye’ is really the way the world works. While ‘to turn the other cheek’ is what you might call moral perfectionism. To me Jesus was a moral philosopher who wanted to reform his religion, as I know longer see God and the Devil as the personification of Good and Evil. I believe humanity saw the darkness of it’s own nature and was scared by it, they (did what’s called in psychology) projected it onto something else, enter the Devil. Then for everything good and in its most perfect form was projected onto another being called God.

Keep it up guys, the more arrows I have in my quiver the better :wink:

I am waiting for a Christian to tell you that you’re “misinterpreting” what the bible is preaching. I always hear “well a really knowledgeable priest would know what it actually meant”.

Hello F(R)IEND(S)

I think we forget something regarding 1 Corinthians 11:6-9, like the rest of the story…

Doesn’t this suggest that in the Lord (i.e. Christ —read----> the new covenant of god) man and woman are equal? Woman from man, man from woman… also, it says: judge for yourselves; followed by asking a question–> should woman be BALD (as in no cover). Her hair is given to her as a COVER… her hair is her cover not some veil. Also, a man does not need to wear a hat, simply crop his hair (man with long hair is a shame unto him)… The bible is certainly conservative isn’t it? :smiley:

I think this was a reference to the old covenant, especially when you reference more of the actual biblical text. PLEASE NOTE: I am agnostic. I think there are other examples where there are mysogistic overtones (but for this one, I think I have provided a reasonable explanation).

Peace and prosperity to all.

Hello F(R)IEND(S)

Hi PAX… regarding your post regarding Isaac and Esau:

This was man’s deception to man… I think it could be argued that it is in there to show men an example of deceit. Also, it touches on free-will in the sense that god has deemed that men make their choices and must endure the consequences–even if this means that some men must suffer UNJUSTLY because of OTHER MEN. So, Esau is not blessed because he was cheated; however, god honored whomever received the blessing from Isaac (which god clearly promised). Is god to break his promise especially when Esau SOLD his blessing to Jacob? There is more here than the simple situation… as BOULDER continued, this was a business transaction and it had to be honored. I think the rest of BOULDER’s argument crumbles from there… but, if there is a specific part you would like to discuss I would be happy to… just point it out.

I will be back for the other posts first chance I get… too many great THREADS at ILP!

“Free will, it is a bitch” - Devils Advocate.