Is belief in God a rationalization for one's fear of death?

Is belief in God a rationalization for one’s fear of death?

• Yes
  • No
  • For some it is and for some it isn’t
0 voters

Could it be that the belief of Christians in an all-powerful, all-knowing being is merely a clever rationalization because they’re afraid of death? If so, how do they feel about living a life of deception? Or perhaps they’re wired in such a way that they are far more easily brainwashed than the rest of us.

No. For two reasons do I say that. A fear of death does not need to be rationalized it is something that is built intonhe essence of all humans. FOD can be tremendously helpful in some situations but detrimental in others. Before I move to the second I’ll play devils advocate if you allow. Why is it hat you only mentikn Christians? Muslims, Jews, and sevralnotherbreligionsnbelieve in God. The fact is that there is a creator who we call God or w/e else. Seconely everyone is afraid of death but it is something which can happen in an instant or take years. Death is somethi which most humans believe will hapen to them. Brainwashed? Maybe in the 80s or 90s but most of the major christian religions today require more from the believer than blind worship.

Haha, so many typo’s. Although I too am prone to them so you are forgiven.

In response to the OP and this, I would have to say that it is a rationalization for death. For the sole reason that every faith (that springs to my mind right now) offers an opinion on it. So people’s belief in their respective Gods offers an explanation to the mysterious and fearsome idea of death. The mistake that Teddy has made is interpreting the original question as 'is it the only rationalisation for one’es death. Certainly in the case of Christians, they qualify the idea of death absolutely fine.

YES. people are afraid of dying. they will run with a god who promises them immortality. but more important, this can be used to conrol and have power over the majority to enslave them. then you have workers and soldiers to do your thing.

Partially, yes. God is the source of a possibility of a hereafter, especially for those who have suffered all their life. But God is also an idea that can give meaning to our lives here and now, and serve as a theory for the source of the universe…and Truth.

belief in higher power precedes all abstract thought…the answer to the op could in ways be a yes but never if it is to posit that fear precedes belief in higher power.

God bless
-hth

If it is indeed a rationalization for one’s fear of death, then what purpose does it serve? Are they not capable of doing something real (such as have hobbies, interests, activities) which will help make them less fearful of death? How is it non-believers are able to cope with the fear of death without creating a fantasy afterlife? Could it be that Christians just have some compelling need to lie to themselves and be deceitful to others?

Further evidence that it’s some kind of rationalization for their fear of death is found just after a loved one of their dies.
“he’s in a better place now”
“at least he’s in heaven now”
“he’s at peace now”
If it’s such a better place, then why don’t we see Christians committing suicide in masses?

simple understanding of the religion might help lol…it takes work to get into heaven- as Jesus said…“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God”…your question is quite ridiculous if you claim to know anything about religion

God bless
-hth

Skip the Christian model. If God created the universe, it makes sense that He’d have done so to provide a rational proving ground for creatures with free will. If we don’t have free will, then it would’ve been much simpler to just create all the souls in heaven (or hell) according to what He’d created (programmed) them to be and do.

Proving ground for what, you ask? Souls who develop integrity in given situations on their own. The fear (or avoidance) of death is in the DNA of all creatures, but some individual sentients develop, through mental or physical anguish, an even greater fear of life.

Could it be that those who believe that men should not dress effeminately are just using a defense of insecurity? If so, how do they feel about secretly being gay?

Your postulation is a classic fallacy of necessity.
You immediately necessitate people being afraid of death and being Christian with being deceivers even though there is no logical link shown to exist.

turtle wrote-----
sometimes those sentient humans have a psychotic depression caused by disease.

And sometimes babies die very young. Both are examples of the painful but necessary things that happen as a result of a the conditions necessary for free will. What should God do, save one and blow the whole system established to maintain free will? And for what? The person saved would immediately become one among septapatillions in the universe who had also just lost their free will that’s tied to their rational, natural universe; and that’s not including all the future octapajillions (conservatively speaking).

There is a connection. Let’s say I’m a Christian largely because it gives me comfort that there will be something far better than nothingness after I die, yet in my intellect, I am fearful of death and of the possibility that my belief might be wrong. So I find comfort in the company of others who share my Christian belief, as they appear to me to also possess this belief to avoid their fear of death. Now if some stranger approached me and asked if my belief were merely a clever rationalization for my fear of death, I’m not going to say yes. If other Christians asked me if they should say “yes” if asked the same question, I would tell them not to. That, in my opinion is being deceitful - or in other words, lying through omission.

You just did it again.
You are outlining a specific item and then applying that to all items within the category.

The way of rolling down a hill for a plastic ball with a dent in one side is not an immediate indication of how all balls, or even all plastic balls, will roll down the hill.

The only way your outline even has a chance of being examined is if we assume that every Christian is only a Christian because Christianity gives them comfort when thinking about death and that this alone is the single drive of their adherence.
I see no direct evidence of this at all, however.

I see it as a rationalization for their fear of death while you don’t. Let’s just agree to disagree.

I see it as both.
I don’t think people are so simple as you appear to think people are.
Do you write off republicans and democrats so sweepingly as well?

My cat has no understanding or anticipation of death. Yet he sees me as his provider of necessities (God). Maybe he gets it right.

Does your cat believe that you have infallible knowledge of what will happen tomorrow?

Fear by its very nature is irrational as we only fear something that does not exist.

Anything that subdues fear is a rationalization for the irrational.

We could ask the same question:
Is not fearing death a rationalization for one’s fear of death?

The answer to the question then becomes.
If it overcomes the irrational then it is a rationalization.
If it does not overcome the irrational then it is not a rationalization.

Fears are sometimes irrational but there are lots of rational fears. Fear of falling down stairs and breaking your neck. Fear of being bitten by a poisonous snake if you live near such snakes. Non-lethal fears may or may not be rational. A fear is irrational if the event which you fear is unlikely to happen or if it only has minor consequences.