Is Life Without Suffering Worth Living?

If not, would this completely discount buddhist/Hindu philosophies?

rephrase: Is life without suffering worth living for you? If not, does this completely invaildate buddhist/hindu philosophies in your eyes?

They would probably say that the state of mind then is beyond life, a transcendence. Just my guess…

I guess you can live as you like.
“Worth” or not is pretty much arbitrary and usually subjective evaluation.
So, it’s up to you, too.

Still, I can assure you that you will suffer, as long as you live (and possibly even after the physical death…)
I don’t know if you have simple courage to face this fact of living, though.

If you can, it makes the process of suffering a bit easier and more efficient.
But thee is another side of the coin.
When we get used to the suffering and become relatively good, then we get yet more sufferings.
Often, it’s more subtle and harder to notice.
Thus we can be suffering and trying to escape from it without being aware just like before, and actually complicating/aggravating the situation.
It seeks like an endless suffering… and most probably so.

Well, as it’s not necessarily the rosiest view of the life and existence, you don’t have to feel bad nor ashamed if you can’t face it.
It’s like accepting the fact that we are jailed in a permanent and endless (mild, for some…) torture chamber.
And even suiciding may not help the situation…

Nah:

The question, “Is life without suffering worth living?” is subjective. I am asking you to respond in regards to your own life and no one else’s. Subjectivity is not to be run away from or denied value as in the age of Neo-Classicism.
Nah:

I’m looking for an answer pertaining to what you think for yourself, not words relating to what might or might not be my position. I am not the subject. You are. Please resubmit.

Also keep in mind that the question has no negative/positive connotation other than what you project onto it.

realunorginal:

Well…my understanding has been that Buddhism’s ultimate goal of becoming the Buddha transcends emotion and one’s “lifetime“ (ex. as in baby body born, old man body dies), but not life…

realunorginal:

Well…my understanding has been that Buddhism’s ultimate goal of becoming the Buddha transcends emotion and one’s “lifetime“ (ex. as in baby body born, old man body dies), but not life…?

i would say that life without suffering would be alot more boring… but in no way would that affect the “worth living” part of it.

Well, I’d suggest specifying that you are asking subjective opinions of readers… oh, you’ve done that by editing. :slight_smile:

I never asked a question like that.
First of all, I don’t see any “value” in thinking about the “value”. :smiley:
I’m not interested in relative things, so much.

And I don’t claim to be an expert on hindu/buddhist material.
So, I can’t answer your question even if such a simple and seemingly malformulated question and the answers coming from it can be used for discounting for entire thought spectrum of these huge distinct two philosophies.

I’m not so sure if your understanding of buddhism is right on …
I thought that the suffering was something unavoidable (nothing to do with “worth”) in buddhist thinking.
So, if you can prove that one can live without any suffering, I guess you can discount buddhism.
I haven’t met anyone without suffering, up to now. :slight_smile:
If any kind of “limitation” or “binding” is a pain/suffering, “existing” is a suffering, as well.
In this case, the only possible solution can be “not existing”. :smiley:

I think a very important point that gets missed when looking at Buddhist philosophy is that we all try to avoid suffering, every moment of our short lives. You could almost say that fact is what defines us as “sentient”. No matter what philosophy we think we profess, that is the philosophy we all live. It’s funny, because some people tend to criticize Buddhists for trying to avoid suffering and some people for wallowing in suffering. Buddhism simply recognizes certain facts of life and works with them. The basic teaching is that “we all try to be happy and avoid suffering, but we tend to go about it completely backwards”. One of the “backwards” aspects of our day-to-day approach to life is that we always react to pain and suffering, simply avoiding it and running away from it the best we can. According to the Buddhist teachings, this is in fact the recipe for accumulating more and more suffering. Learning to simply and bravely face life’s unavoidable suffering with equanimity is the first step towards reducing the completely inessential and unnecessary suffering that we unintelligently add to life of our own accord. The first Noble Truth in Buddhism isn’t simply that suffering exists, but that being brave about that fact and not running away from it is the first step towards awakening, beyond our typically more simplistic notions of suffering and happiness.

Suffering…hmm… Happiness/peace comes from the lack of suffering/struggle. I wonder this type of thing all the time. I think back to childhood when things were presented about the world in such a wonderful way. However, as a person gets older, the more they study about humanity, the more the veil of flowers is lifted. Life worked just fine-so much better in fact- when everything was supposedly rosey, so why does it have to get worse after that is my question? I keep thinking that whomever is “in charge of the great plan” must think this world is the TV for entertainment of watching people’s struggle with all the drama, all the horror, etc, etc. In my questioning, I imagine the answer to why it all has to be so awful…the Holocaust, the powermongers, etc would be much the same as an economist’s answer to a troubled economy. The economists would say, if we put a restriction on the price of gas, the free market system wouldn’t work anymore. Perhaps the whole idea of struggle can’t/won’t be helped by God, or whomever, because if an outer influence helped, maybe it/they/he would suggest the system would not work any longer also? ie, free will.
I still would like to believe in miracles though. I still would like to believe in a God that cares if I struggle and suffer and would rather that I didn’t. Yet history shows otherwise. I still want to think that the truth behind everyone’s actions is caring and compassion, as I did as a child. Why does it have to stray from that joy to struggle? I thought the Budduhist take was something like struggle is associated through things like materialism and attachment to objects or things perceived as being outside ourselves. To free yourself from struggle or suffering, you simply release your desire for things outside yourself. And what…starve to death on the street. ? I’m sure the Dalai Llama still eats food and lives in a a structure. Can one not want anything and have it at the same time? I guess its possible to have things and yet not be attached to them. Isn’t that what the Buddhist idea is?
Well, Buddhist or not, I still think much suffering would be prevented if people just chose to be kind. We already know there is no end to horror or horrific acts against things in the world, but have we really discovered the limit of unending kindness?? Why one way and not the other?? I want to know about the religion that says there is no end to the easy life where everyone is kind, caring, and helpful. I want to know that religion, and their specs for the life of unending compassion. I want to read that, through their philosophy, the life free from struggle abounds into nothing more than the complete and permanent joy of being.
To me, life without suffering would be a wonderful relief. People have always told me I need to toughen up a lot, and quite honestly, I would just as soon try to be even more kind and even more wonderful. Its easier for me to be kind. Humanity already knows how to be intensely horrifying and how to suffer. So… creatures of habit instead of discovery??
I would venture to put much value in a life without suffering, and would be very excited to find out the possibilities the world has yet to see as a result of being free from suffering. I will always believe that if humanity can venture one way, it can also venture the other way equally as well. If we have proven the worst, we can also prove the best-right? The impetous just has to be there-right? To think a life without suffering is not worth living, is to say that humanity already knows the extent of what can happen when all things are great, and I dare anyone to try to figure out those limits for a change. How wonderful can you be for yourself, and for others? If you don’t know, wouldn’t you say its at least worth your time to look into some of those possibilities? Perhaps in my disgust for the suffering, I will endeavor to find out some answers for the opposite. Maybe I’ll start tomorrow, since I currently have no answers for the question of what are the limits for a life filled with unending happiness? I mean, what does that kind of life even look like, and how would I go about pushing for those answers…? Maybe this pursuit could be called “Buddhism, Part II”.