Jesus Christ v.s "Good" Human Beings: What's The D

The armchair psychoanalysis of Jesus Christ given in the book: The Adventures of Captain Jee-zus: Enter…SUPERCHRISTIANITY! establishes that Christ possesses what David L. Rosenhan and Martin E.P. Seligman (the authors of: Abnormal Personality) call: the optimal personality, that aspect of human personality that is capable of “getting out of it’s skin” to adapt to the environment in a way that is mutually pleasurable to all that the personality encounters—as it expresses concern for the well-being of others, and interacts with others in such a way as to yield mutual understanding and acceptance.

But a question arises: What makes the “goodness” of Jesus more special than that of normal human beings? Aren’t there human personalities that are just as optimal? Given this, it seems hard to see that Christ has anything going for him that others do not.

One might respond to this by making the conceptual claim that it may be that there are subjective depths to the mind of Jesus that humans may not or cannot possess, such that the conscience and empathy of Jesus is undiluted by human nature and the habitual sexual/aggressive occurrent thought that reflects the most famous aspects of “human nature”–and as such is of a “clearer” nature than that which can be experienced by human beings (for all of us who believe in the existence of the relevant concepts).

One might also point out that while there are good human beings, humans possess a “Jeckyll and Hyde” moral aspect, and that this is universal to the human condition.

Thus, even the “best” human being (arguably) possesses subconscious and recurrent predatory/aggressive drives that may not play out in outward behavior but reveal themselves in fantasies, dreams, and occurrent sudden “daydreams”, with the occasional Freudian slip of the tongue----while the psychology of Jesus Christ is contrived by the Judeo-Christian God to be absent this moral “flaw”.

Given this, one can put forward the argument that no matter how “good” certain humans can be, we all have alligators swimming beneath the surface in the basements of the human mind.

To quote Stephen King:

[i] " The mythic horror movie, like the sick joke, has a dirty job to do.
It deliberately appeals to all that is worst in us. It is morbidity unchained, our most base instincts let free, our nastiest fantasies realized…and it all happens, fittingly enough, in the dark.

For these reasons, good liberals often shy away from horror films. For myself, I like to see the most aggressive of them—‘Dawn of the Dead’, for instance—as lifting the trapdoor in the civilized forebrain and throwing a basket of raw meat to the hungry alligators swimming around in that subterranean river beneath.

Why bother? Because it keeps them from getting out, man. It keeps them down there and me up here. It was Lennon and McCartney who said that all you need is love, and I would agree with that. As long as you keep the gators fed."[/i]

—King, Stephen:Danse Macabre, Berkeley Books and Everest House Publishing, 1979

Given this consideration, one can assert that Christ is indeed “special”—in terms of the possession of an intentional (if not informational) purity that outstrips the best humanity has to offer.

Thus Christ becomes the winner in psychomoral “natural selection”–in the sense of possessing the only kind of “goodness” that God intends to keep around forever.

Brewer, Jay: “A Psychoanalysis of Jesus Christ”, pg. 12

superchristianity.com
blog.myspace.com/superchristianity

(I found this a really interesting topic and for me it all the more affirms the question: was Jesus a real person? or has he become simply Myth transformed into a real person?)

It the very least Jesus seemed to have immense Understanding but also to a larger extent acceptance of Sin; and it was from this that all His other qualities convereged.

In contrast to most people, they cannot stand Sin or Evil, in their own mind or in the outward manifestation of other people’s private hell. Most people do not have a strong sense of Understanding and Aceeptance…however, what follows from all this Understanding and Acceptance…did jesus even know?

Perhaps God only knows… :smiley:

Good post.

It all depends, I think, upon the nature of objective reality beyond what anyone believes, as to whether or not Jesus is simply a myth or a real person.

As for Jesus being accepting of sin, this “acceptance” might exist (if one believes in the relevant subject matter) due to an understanding of God’s omniscience, in the sense that evil beings are what they are as replications of “characters” known to God beforehand. One can posit that the interest of God and Christ in this matter is to “evolve” the mentality of the “characters” into a more transcendent (and permanent) state—turning the omniscient “lemons” within God’s mind into “lemonade”.

Just a thought,

Jay M. Brewer
superchristianity.com
blog.myspace.com/superchristianity